Goodbye Jesus

Matrix-ianity

white_raven23

Well, I was plopping about in the debate thread, and came across Reality's newer shpeel.

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=3791

For those who don't know what I'm on about, there's the link.

It's not the first time I've heard Christians sound like Morpheus caracitures. What is the deal? Matrix was a good movie, but why the heck are these christians trying to graft their religion onto it?

If anything the movie was exactly the opposite of what religion encourages. Freedom of thought over the cultural will dictated by the majority. So WTF?

Kinda funny in a way......can you imagine a religion being inspired by a movie? It might not be too much of a stretch either.....after all christianity is based on a book.

The religion department at my university is OBSESSED with the Matrix. Two of the profs are really liberal kinda sorta pluralistic Christians, one is an agnostic.

Not only is it annoying just because, it is annoying because the movie doesn't really fit into Christianity, just like you said.

Whatever.

The Matrix is a literal quote of Gnostic Christianity, that's why they are so bonkers over it.

Merlin

A tidbit from my blog (Butt log. I swear thats what I think when I see the word)

Morpheus 6:22

With appologies to Warner Bros., the Wachowski Bros., Lawrence Fishburne, and anyone else feeling litigious.

"Fundementalism is a system, Neo, and that system is our enemy. You look around you, what do you see: doctors, teachers, lawyers. The very lives we are trying to save, but until we do they are still a part of that system, and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, many of these people are not ready to be deconverted. And some of them are so inurred, so hopelessly dependant on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

I've read a few different essays on the spiritual aspects of the Matrix. I dunno if I'm gonna clink that link. Is it really stupid? Because when I read stupid shit, my monitor takes a beating....

I think the way the fundies (at least the ones at the college I attended) see it is that the mundane world is the Matrix while believing in Jesus is what frees you.

It's not the first time I've heard Christians sound like Morpheus caracitures. What is the deal? Matrix was a good movie, but why the heck are these christians trying to graft their religion onto it?

Isn't this how we got Christianity in the first place (and al other religiosn probably)? Ancient stories got grafted on as if they were real.

The concept of hell is grafted from The Inferno, so why not graft the Matrix on as well?

From what I remember, The Matrix is supposed to be a polyglot of not just Christianity, but a few belief systems. So if Christians are following it, that's....well, pretty normal, considering Christianity is a polyglot.

From what I remember, The Matrix is supposed to be a polyglot of not just Christianity, but a few belief systems.  So if Christians are following it, that's....well, pretty normal, considering Christianity is a polyglot.

According to one of my professors (and some reading I did a while back), it was intended to contain many similarities to world religions. If I remember correctly from the extra credit seminar I attended, Buddhism and Hinduism can be found in it as well. And now that a poster reminded me, Gnostic Christianity is one of the primary religions targeted/allegoried/whatever. :)

Still silly, if you ask me. I havent seen the movie since the seminar and I don't plan to see it again. I am not a humongoid Matrix fan like most of my friends.