Goodbye Jesus

SPLIT DECISION - Christians Divided On the Issue

Checkmate

SPLIT DECISION – Christians divided on the issue of “God’s Wrath”

Click on this link. (Pay attention to the side links present also.) Christians are divided regarding the position of God’s wrath concerning the devastation of the Gulf region.

While some are eagerly salivating over the prospect of a vengeful God judging wicked sinners, other more “liberal” Christians refute the idea of a judgmental and punishing deity.

Tony Campolo even goes so far as to claim that God is NOT the author of evil! :Doh:

If you’re in the mood for some religious humor, check out this excerpt:

I don’t doubt that God can bring good out of tragedies, but the Bible is clear that God is not the author of evil! (James 1:15) Statements like that dishonor God, and are responsible for driving more people away from Christianity than all the arguments that atheistic philosophers could ever muster. When the floods swept into the Gulf Coast, God was the first one who wept.

Ain’t that a hoot?!

So God is NOT the author of evil? Hmm. Somebody better get to re-writing the bible then, because MINE says HE IS. Even the most inept bible reader knows the bible is FILLED with God’s wrath and judgment. Start at Genesis and keep going. You can’t miss it.

Campolo is one of those embarrassed Christians (you know the type), who attempts vainly to distance himself from the horror story that is the Bible. Poor guy. He so desperately wants his religion to be viewed as “loving and compassionate”, but his “God” is obviously the devil in disguise. Sigh! What’s a liberal Christian to do?

Lie and tap dance, of course!

I don’t know who is more pathetic here: Those who applaud God’s so-called wrath, or those who deny God’s wrath as clearly written in their bible?

Maybe they are evenly pathetic. :loser:

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Some say God stopped judging on Earth at Jesus' death and will start again with the trib.

Guest Iconoclastic1
So God is NOT the author of evil?  Hmm.  Somebody better get to re-writing the bible then, because MINE says HE IS.  Even the most inept bible reader knows the bible is FILLED with God’s wrath and judgment.  Start at Genesis and keep going.  You can’t miss it.

The average zealot identifies with the bible and good ol' Yahweh to the point that what the "LORD" does becomes the definition of what is good and moral, even if it's clearly not good by any objective standard. So what they say is true, from their own warped perspective.

As just a single example among many, no objective standard of morality could possibly see the genocide of the Midianites, carried out by direct order from God, to be a "good" deed. Especially since even the women and children were to be killed, except the little girls who are virgins, they were instead to be kept as sexual slaves to be raped at the whim of the "Children of Israel".

Numbers

31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Some say God stopped judging on Earth at Jesus' death and will start again with the trib.

Just another way of personifying something that isn't there. :scratch:

Heck, the whole religion is based on doing that. :Hmm::Doh:

• 5 months later...
So God is NOT the author of evil?  Hmm.  Somebody better get to re-writing the bible then, because MINE says HE IS.  Even the most inept bible reader knows the bible is FILLED with God’s wrath and judgment.  Start at Genesis and keep going.  You can’t miss it.

The average zealot identifies with the bible and good ol' Yahweh to the point that what the "LORD" does becomes the definition of what is good and moral, even if it's clearly not good by any objective standard. So what they say is true, from their own warped perspective.

You state it so perfectlly. No matter what nonsense the Bible teaches, Christians will always point out that the bible is inflallible and that God makes the rules( even though NO ONE CAN AGREE ON THEM!!!!!...sorry, just a little frustration there....), and that's the end of the argument. It really is quite loathsome. I used to give into the idea that god makes the rules becuase he simply is god, has all the power, and somehow "just knows" the rules of right and wrong. But now I wonder if that really makes complete sense. Even if if I concluded it didn't, christians would still point out to me that I just don't have the proper understanding/interpretation, that I'm just a lowly human being trying to understand an infinitley complex god, or that the forces of evil are influencing me, blah blah blah.....

As just a single example among many, no objective standard of morality could possibly see the genocide of the Midianites, carried out by direct order from God, to be a "good" deed. Especially since even the women and children were to be killed, except the little girls who are virgins, they were instead to be kept as sexual slaves to be raped at the whim of the "Children of Israel".

Numbers

31:17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

31:18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

I like the part where he says god is not omnipotent but is "mighty". Meaning god is a greater

force in the universe than all others combined. WTF? Isn't being greater that all others

combined just about the same as omnipotent. Appears like some kind of catch all to

explain away his gods failings. He also said the best thing christians can do in the face of

disasters is remain silent and not try to explain. That is actually good advice. I guess it wouldn't

have been "christ like" to tell his christian brethern to just shut up. Unless he added "fools"

or "you brood of vipers". Now that would have been "christ like".

Grinch,

See what happens when one doesn't use REAL Fruit Loops to light up with?

Betcha that Campelo cat's bong has cheap import sugar in it and that in turn makes him see funny-ier colors.. :)

What an asshat..

kL