Goodbye Jesus

death challenge for ex-christians

pug

Wasn't it Socrates that came up with the word Atom?

I think that was Democritus, Han. Up until him it was all "4 elements" stuff. He was the first to notice that no matter how small you cut something up, it seemed to retain it properties.

And as for the Bible containing scientific truths. If that's the case, the Veda's are even better w/their prediction of nuclear weapons, flying machines, the illusion of solid matter, etc. Indeed, the more Quantum physics advances, the more it appears the Hindu's had it right in the first place... :shrug:

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pug

• Fweethawt

• Ouroboros

• Nicole Simon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where will I end up when I die?

Dunno.

I'll deal with that when I get there.

I think that was Democritus, Han.  Up until him it was all "4 elements" stuff.  He was the first to notice that no matter how small you cut something up, it seemed to retain it properties.

Yes, I think you're right.

I looked him up, and he was a really cool dude! He believed in other worlds, and the first to claim the milky way was other stars!

"In some worlds there is no Sun and Moon, in others they are larger than in our world, and in others more numerous. In some parts there are more worlds, in others fewer (...); in some parts they are arising, in others failing. There are some worlds devoid of living creatures or plants or any moisture."

It seems like (through other sites) that he was agnostic/atheist, and didn't believe the world was created by any gods. That's 2400 years ago! Yo, x-ians, go hang yourselves, atheism is older than Christianity!

And as for the Bible containing scientific truths.  If that's the case, the Veda's are even better w/their prediction of nuclear weapons, flying machines, the illusion of solid matter, etc.  Indeed, the more Quantum physics advances, the more it appears the Hindu's had it right in the first place...  :shrug:

Well, since Democritus told MORE scientific truths than the Bible, then we should believe Democritus.

Well, since Democritus told MORE scientific truths than the Bible, then we should believe Democritus.

Yeah, talk about pulling one from the vaults. My Greek philosophy class was great, but man was it a bitch keeping all the names straight. Every other guy has a name that's almost exactly the same or has a spelling that would make your eyes water!

No doubt, though, he was wayyy ahead of his time....

Come on Modern Science just found out that all things that a visible are made from things that are invisible, that was Bible 2000 years ago Heb 11:3

So were talking donkeys, talking snakes, all of earths population born out of incestuous relationships, ect ect...

Where do you think you will go after you die?

No, no...purely non threatening, just curious. IF you are a Buddhist, it's a long answer. No, i'm not a Buddhist ~ was. So... where will you end up? Or don't give a Foook?

Care to share?

Although I do not believe in an after-life, should I exist after death, I certainly do not wish to go to that wretched and miserable place oft referred to as 'heaven'. I can think of far more interesting, pleasurable, and happy ideas than that.

Probably just cease to exists but I for one think that the American Indians view is more believable than Christianity.  You go back into the earth and are essentially alive through something else.  Life is a circle and death brings life (something along those lines)  I think that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!  The Lion King gives a good teaching on this too, "A circle of life"  The predator kills the prey, the scavengers come, whats left feeds the scavengers, the rest decays into the ground and brings life to the grass that feeds the herb eating animals and so on and so forth.  Boy, makes me all "happy" inside, so it must be true. :grin:

Boy! Leave it to Disney to make the 'food chain' palatable. Well I suppose if you're high enough on the list. lol

Better than an eternity of kissing god's ass.

So many deities, so many halls and places to end up... the big prize would be Valhalla, obviously. ;)

Come on Modern Science just found out that all things that a visible are made from things that are invisible, that was Bible 2000 years ago Heb 11:3

Now I'm curious. When do you think will modern science finally find out that the earth is a flat rectangle, and that there are birds and insects with four feet? :lmao:

In some accounts the bible says the earth is a disc....of course, a disc is still flat. Fall off the edge of the earth lately Christian?

In some accounts the bible says the earth is a disc....of course, a disc is still flat.  Fall off the edge of the earth lately Christian?

Scripture and verse, please. Translation would be helpful, too. NS

Or you could always go with the flat rectangle/square type earth also mentioned in the bible...either way it's flat. Why else would the early church threaten to kill people for heresy for staing the earth was a sphere.

I am just my brain, and my body - all physical. Therefore, I expect when I die, parts of me will be removed (I am listed as an organ donor) and the rest - buried or burnt. But I don't really care - chop me up, melt me down, dump me in a river, I won't care because I won't be a ble to. Honestly, I find the question one of the most pointless around.

Or you could always go with the flat rectangle/square type earth also mentioned in the bible...either way it's flat.  Why else would the early church threaten to kill people for heresy for staing the earth was a sphere.

And. . .again: Scripture and verse, please. Translation would be helpful, too. NS

Care to share?

I can honestly say ...I don't know! (either do you)

I can honestly say...I don't care!

There is no indication that anything happens....so...I will cross that bridge....

for me this make life VERY precious.... I have an appreciation for things I never had when I thought I was gonna "live forever"

You really should read your bible as it contains numerous refernce to a flat earth. Pity when Xtians don't know thier own bibles. A simple search would provide you with numerous references to god's flat earth.

Revelation 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (Aside from the four corners....holding 4 winds? WTF?)

Psalms 67:7 God will bless us, and all the ends of the earth will fear him (sphere's do not have ends)

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them (how can you see all kingdoms from a high mountain top unless the earth is flat)

Luke 4:5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. (as above)

Psalms 75:3 When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who hold its pillars firm. (pillers holding up the earth? Primitive people belived that shit)

Isaiah 18:3 All you people of the world, you who live on the earth, when a banner is raised on the mountains, you will see it, and when a trumpet sounds, you will hear it. (again...how if the earth is a sphere?)

Daniel 4:10-11 These are the visions I saw while lying in my bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth. (yeah a dream...still impossible)

In any case, it's off topic. You can do a simple search and find hundreds of bible errors, contradictions, and idiocies. Start a new thread or dig up an old one if you want to defend your silly myth book.

You really should read your bible as it contains numerous refernce to a flat earth.  Pity when Xtians don't know thier own bibles.  A simple search would provide you with numerous references to god's flat earth.

Nice try! If you can't give scripture and verse, why should I take what you have to say seriously? I'm only obligated to take your word as opinion -- hence my lack of seriousness. Nicole

In any case, it's off topic.  You can do a simple search and find hundreds of bible errors, contradictions, and idiocies.  Start a new thread or dig up an old one if you want to defend your silly myth book.

Thanks Vix, but I have no need, or desire, to defend 'my' faith with anyone. It's mine, and mine alone, and I'm confident enough in my belief system to see me through far greater catastrophes than little slings and barbs hurled by you.

I do appreciate your going to the trouble of looking up the scriptures. They are, I hope you realize, literary metaphors and not to be taken as scientific fact. That's not their intended purpose. And really, I think you're clever enough to know that, don't you? The next time you tell someone you're 'dead' tired -- wouldn't you be surprised to find them calling a coroner on your behalf? . . .Same kind of thing. ns

I suppose, Nicole, it would follow that the idea of a quasi-deity being born of a virgin and then dying and resurrecting himself is also, obviously, a literary metaphor and not a scientific fact.

In which case, why follow the bible any more then Aesop's fables?

They are, I hope you realize, literary metaphors and not to be taken as scientific fact. That's not their intended purpose. And really, I think you're clever enough to know that, don't you? The next time you tell someone you're 'dead' tired -- wouldn't you be surprised to find them calling a coroner on your behalf? . . .Same kind of thing. ns

Oh good! If this is the way that you view it then, you are probably one of those normal people that are trying to keep that shit (religious teachings) out of the schools and science classes, no? :shrug:

Nice try! If you can't give scripture and verse, why should I take what you have to say seriously?
If we showed you scripture and verses that state that dead people come back to life, would you take us seriously then? :mellow:

I do appreciate your going to the trouble of looking up the scriptures. They are, I hope you realize, literary metaphors and not to be taken as scientific fact.

Galileo tried to convince the church that a flat earth was a literary methaphor, too. It got his ass thrown in jail.

Is satan a literary metaphor too? What about Jesus' temptations by satan? Literary metaphors?

Satan took Jesus up to a high mountain so that he could see all of the kingdoms of the earth. Only on a pizza shaped earth would that be possible. Face it. If God wrote the bible, then God thought the earth was flat.