Goodbye Jesus

death challenge for ex-christians

pug

ps

I can give you the scriptures and bible version if you need em.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pug

• Fweethawt

• Ouroboros

• Nicole Simon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose, Nicole, it would follow that the idea of a quasi-deity being born of a virgin and then dying and resurrecting himself is also, obviously, a literary metaphor and not a scientific fact.

In which case, why follow the bible any more then Aesop's fables?

A suggestion. Stand up, look at the floor, and imagine Cerise encompassed by a tightly drawn imaginary circle. Now all that's left to do is address your concerns regarding beliefs to the inhabitant within that circle.

If someone should pass, say, within a whisper, or even shouting distance... please, I must insist, refrain from offering 'your' suggestions as to how that person has erred in their belief system. Otherwise, one might get the impression that you are at unrest with your own ...why else would you become unsettled and agitated when you hear someone espouse a different path or manner in which they choose to confront life. Or do you value your own opinion that highly that you feel compelled to step beyond the boundaries, and make your opinion heard, even when unsolicited. I'm well aware that you, and others like you, don't share my faith. But this in no way deters me from following my beliefs. Precisely, that is, because they are 'mine' -- it's pretty simple, really. Thanks. Nicole

A suggestion. Stand up, look at the floor, and imagine Cerise encompassed by a tightly drawn imaginary circle. Now all that's left to do is address your concerns regarding beliefs to the inhabitant within that circle.

If someone should pass, say, within a whisper, or even shouting distance... please, I must insist, refrain from offering 'your' suggestions as to how that person has erred in their belief system. Otherwise, one might get the impression that you are at unrest with your own ...why else would you become unsettled and agitated when you hear someone espouse a different path or manner in which they choose to confront life. Or do you value your own opinion that highly that you feel compelled to step beyond the boundaries, and make your opinion heard, even when unsolicited. I'm well aware that you, and others like you, don't share my faith. But this in no way deters me from following my beliefs. Precisely, that is, because they are 'mine' -- it's pretty simple, really. Thanks. Nicole

You're not making any sense here. You believe in a religion that states the ridiculous as being divine truth. When someone calls you on it, you lash out at them for having a disagreement about said beliefs. Then, once you realize just how ridiculous your religions teaching are, you turn around and call them "literary metaphors" and attempt to degrade those who stand against those who promote these "literary metaphors" as literal truth.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, when you returned to the fold after basking in your apostacy, you re-entered the Kingdom via the Catholic Church, correct? Unless I'm mistaken, the Catholic Church regards those as apostates who do not believe in the actual tranformation of the wine into Christ's blood, and the bread into Christ's flesh.

According to the Bible, Jesus laid out this ritual pretty clearly. The church takes it literally, but you probably think that it's just a "literary metaphor", correct?

You're no more a believer than most of us here. :mellow:

Go ahead. Scream, cry and complain all that you want, but I'm right.

Galileo tried to convince the church that a flat earth was a literary methaphor, too.  It got his ass thrown in jail.

Is satan a literary metaphor too?  What about Jesus' temptations by satan?  Literary metaphors?

Satan took Jesus up to a high mountain so that he could see all of the kingdoms of the earth.  Only on a pizza shaped earth would that be possible.  Face it.  If God wrote the bible, then God thought the earth was flat.

I know enough to realize that when the Lord said, be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove, he didn't intend for us to lay eggs. It's a book, and it can be viewed in many ways. To continue viewing the Bible through a child's prism, or insisting that its characters be viewed, and judged, by our own currently in vogue standards of ethical morality is, of course, your prerogative. But it wouldn't take much for that kind of reasoning to be jettisoned, and you clinging, haplessly asea and adrift with the remains of your not so well thought out attack on God's word.

The only defense ...the only one trustworthy and reliable through the ages (for this is a world in journey ...with mores and customs and science books forever changing -- sometimes, seemingly, overnight) ...is that of prophecy. It's unerring. You don't want to go there. Cause once you do, you'll be wrestling with a weight far greater than that of Croesus, or Frank, or whatever his name is. . .Love you guys. Nicole

The only defense  ...the only one trustworthy and reliable through the ages  ...is that of prophecy. It's unerring.

I hope that you might get around to explaining what you meant by that statement a little better.

You don't want to go there. Cause once you do, you'll be wrestling with a weight far greater than that of Croesus, or Frank, or whatever his name is. . .Love you guys. Nicole

This too, if you will. :shrug:

We are so afraid of the unfinished life, aren't we, Christians. If the saved are killed prematurely they go to heaven, and their death happened for a reason. And when thay are old, well, they still go to heaven.

We don't need to get into metaphysical discussions. And we never again have to quote a faulty book of stories that were peddled to the most ignorant and uneducated populations of that time (women and children).

It is all pretty simple: we are animals, and our survival instincts trump our logic (well, this is the case for the majority of humans). No other animal is condemned to struggle with the thought that they will die one day. Faith justifies why we are allowed to exist after death. It solves the problem of having to deal with the inevitable (the absolute collapse of our existence).

OF COURSE SO MANY PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO LIE TO THEMSELVES!

By the way, when I die - after some med student is done dissecting my body - I want my body to be compressed into a diamond. I wonder what color my crystallized remains will take....I am hoping for a pale yellow. This wish will be left in my will. My hope is that my final wish will creep the hell out of my kids.

I know enough to realize that when the Lord said, be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove, he didn't intend for us to lay eggs. It's a book, and it can be viewed in many ways.

Golly, isn't that nice. I sure would love to be able to adapt, pick & choose, and play dress up with my religion too. :Doh:

The only defense  ...the only one trustworthy and reliable through the ages (for this is a world in journey ...with mores and customs and science books forever changing -- sometimes, seemingly, overnight) ...is that of prophecy. It's unerring.

I would very much like to have your specific take on this clarified as well.

You don't want to go there. Cause once you do, you'll be wrestling with a weight far greater than that of Croesus, or Frank, or whatever his name is. . .Love you guys. Nicole

Cute. :wicked:

I know enough to realize that when the Lord said, be wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove, he didn't intend for us to lay eggs. It's a book, and it can be viewed in many ways. To continue viewing the Bible through a child's prism, or insisting that its characters be viewed, and judged, by our own currently in vogue standards of ethical morality is, of course, your prerogative. But it wouldn't take much for that kind of reasoning to be jettisoned, and you clinging, haplessly asea and adrift with the remains of your not so well thought out attack on God's word.

The only defense  ...the only one trustworthy and reliable through the ages (for this is a world in journey ...with mores and customs and science books forever changing -- sometimes, seemingly, overnight) ...is that of prophecy. It's unerring. You don't want to go there. Cause once you do, you'll be wrestling with a weight far greater than that of Croesus, or Frank, or whatever his name is. . .Love you guys. Nicole

Your Bible tells you to have faith like a child. You say don't view it with a childs prisim? You going against your bible or again just proving your ignorance of what your book says?

Prophecy? Yes, the bible is filled with unture prophecy.

You're not making any sense here. You believe in a religion that states the ridiculous as being divine truth. When someone calls you on it, you lash out at them for having a disagreement about said beliefs. Then, once you realize just how ridiculous your religions teaching are, you turn around and call them "literary metaphors" and attempt to degrade those who stand against those who promote these "literary metaphors" as literal truth.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, when you returned to the fold after basking in your apostacy, you re-entered the Kingdom via the Catholic Church, correct? Unless I'm mistaken, the Catholic Church regards those as apostates who do not believe in the actual tranformation of the wine into Christ's blood, and the bread into Christ's flesh.

According to the Bible, Jesus laid out this ritual pretty clearly. The church takes it literally, but you probably think that it's just a "literary metaphor", correct?

You're no more a believer than most of us here. :mellow:

Go ahead. Scream, cry and complain all that you want, but I'm right.

You remind me of the old Woody Allen bit, from his stand up days, the one where he claimed to have been expelled from a comparative religions course at NYU for peering into the soul of the boy next to him.

"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit that is within the man." Now... you of all people, claim different. . .You've got me all figured out. But isn't it you that discounts the spiritual? ...or did you do this by 'assuming'? You do know what happens when you ass-u-me, don't you?

As for literary metaphors------look, it's pretty obvious that if someone uses the expression, "...to the ends of the whole earth" they aren't necessarily speaking of actual deadends, such as one would encounter, metaphorically speaking, say, at the base of your skull.

If you need help with any of this, consult the local junior high English teacher.

Best always, Nicole Simon

Golly, isn't that nice. I sure would love to be able to adapt, pick & choose, and play dress up with my religion too.  :Doh:

I would very much like to have your specific take on this clarified as well.

Cute.  :wicked:

"Golly, isn't that nice." ...What's this? Sarcasm? Are you tellling me you're sinking to the bottom rung of the comedy ladder with your very first response, E? I hope you realize we have nowhere to go but down? No. I shall resist. . .at least for the time being. Now ...about playing dress-up. If it floats your boat, why not. What religion would you like to role-play in? Just about any would be appropriate. And just about everyone does. Not only with religion, but in following sports, dealing with the boss, catering to the maniacal whims of a hard to please spouse, go on, you name it. Everybody, everywhere role plays, picks and chooses, adapts to the given particulars in whatever situation. Are you the same husband you were the first year you were married? Oh really? Let me get your wife's opinion. Maybe I misread your intent. . .your comment seemed a bit hyper-critical. It only seems natural for a person's attitude and behavior to change while learning. It's growth. A fairly typical human endeavor. Where am I wrong here?

"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit that is within the man."
So now you're a man?

Now... you of all people, claim different. You've got me all figured out. But isn't it you that discounts the spiritual ...or did you do this by 'assuming' -- you know what happens when you ass-u-me, don't you?
Who is making the larger assumption here, me, or you for assuming that there is any validity in "the spiritual".

Yeah, I know what happens when I ass-u-me. It's quite evident that you do too.

As for literary metaphors------look, it's pretty obvious that if someone uses the expression, "
Sorry. Once again I ass-u-med that you actually read some of the stuff on this site showing what happens when people take the bible literaly or, when they use a "literal translation" against their kids, spouses, etc....

If you had, then you would know that it isn't "pretty obvious" for a lot of people to determine Biblical Truth™ via the Oh Isn't It So Obvious method.

Let's see your crystal clear explanation to the question that was asked about how to determine what parts of your belief are literal or metaphorical.

...to the ends of the whole earth" they aren't necessarily speaking of actual deadends, such as one would encounter, metaphorically speaking, say, at the base of your skull.

If you need help with any of this, conult the local junior high English teacher.

Best always, Nicole Simon

Yeah, whatever.... :Wendywhatever: Thanks for the response though...

It's funny though. I asked you to explain yourself on one of your comments above while you were still here at the time. You ignored the request only to sign on about 3 hours later in order to post this. And you think that we are uncomfortable with our "beliefs"?

If the time ever comes, and I decide to stoop so low, I doubt that I will feel even the slightest tinge of degradation in the event that I decide to call you a rude bitch.

"Golly, isn't that nice." ...What's this? Sarcasm? Are you tellling me you're sinking to the bottom rung of the comedy ladder with your very first response, E? I hope you realize we have nowhere to go but down? No. I shall resist. . .at least for the time being. Now ...about playing dress-up. If it floats your boat, why not. What religion would you like to role-play in? Just about any would be appropriate. And just about everyone does. Not only with religion, but in following sports, dealing with the boss, catering to the maniacal whims of a hard to please spouse, go on, you name it. Everybody, everywhere role plays, picks and chooses, adapts to the given particulars in whatever situation. Are you the same husband you were the first year you were married? Oh really? Let me get your wife's opinion. Maybe I misread your intent. . .your comment seemed a bit hyper-critical. It only seems natural for a person's attitude and behavior to change while learning. It's growth. A fairly typical human endeavor. Where am I wrong here?

You are one goddamn rude bitch, you know that?

He asked you to explain yourself on your previous comments, and this is what you give?

Jesus fuckin' christ already!! Just what the hell are you doing here if you aren't going to answer any question directed to you?!?!?

I see how this works now...

I see that you're logged-out once again. You're probably going to grab a glass of water and a Milk-bone™, then sit down in front of your computer and generate another one of your oh so insightful posts.

I would like to suggest that you take a sip of water with each bite. Those things tend to get a bit pasty if you don't. But then again, I'm positive that you already knew that.

Your Bible tells you to have faith like a child.  You say don't view it with a childs prisim?  You going against your bible or again just proving your ignorance of what your book says?

You're lifting -- and inaccurately, I might add -- scripture out of context. It does no good. To fully understand -- one needs to not only know 'who' was speaking but to 'whom' they were speaking.

For instance, in the parable of the mustard seed (a spiritual principal that Christ's audience was unfamiliar with), having faith as a child would be a good thing: Just believe -- cause we don't really have the time to explain quantum physics to you right now. However in Isaiah, we're invited to do the opposite, not just childishly and innocently assume, but actively 'reason' with God in regard to issues of life and death and struggle -- the things of this world, the things we do know something about.

So what've you got? Same book, though two distinctly opposite pieces of advice dealing with the same subject. It happens a lot, and unfortunately is the cause of much strife and division.

We're told to divide the Word of Truth, and maybe, somewhere in the middle, is balance and stability. I don't know ...I'm trying to learn as best I can. And isn't that the best we can hope for? ...Keep open, while striving to learn. Hope I could be of help. NS

So now we get the old context card...

CONTEXT CARD:- When a believer in the Christian Holy Book disagrees with what the Holy Book states, they rebut it by saying, "You're taking that verse out of context." This card also plays well with the Literary Metaphor card in the event that they are really starting to see how baseless and absurd their beliefs are.

Like we never would have thought you'd use that.

Hope I could be of help. NS

Hope you can be of help?

Honey, do you realize what you have written so far? The condescendence, the arrogance you spewed forth when you said "go talk with a junior high english teacher" or something like that? What gives you the right to call people stupid all while dodging their questions? :ugh:

Maybe my comrades here have been too subtle, and not straightforward enough. This is my guess about what they meant.

1) The bible says things that have no root whatsoever in the real life. The bible says, i.e., that the earth is flat and has corners and that you can see the whole population of the world from the top of a very high mountain. The bible also says that a person, dead since 3 days (and, one might add, rotten and stinking), can come back to life. Both these things cannot be observed, or proven, in the real world.

2) We, as exchristians and rational human beings, notice the discrepancies. So we simply say: "A 3 days corpse cannot come back to life. The earth is not flat." and are content to do that.

3) You as a christian choose to believe the raising back from the dead story, and to justify the flat earth story with the word Metaphore. Forgive me for saying so, but your justification stinks a lot. The flat earth story is a metaphore just because you can't deny that the earth is a sphere, if we hadn't some photographic proof you probably would deny that too and say "the earth IS flat all right, I know it because I know it". Which is the same thing you are doing with the christ came back from the dead story: "christ came back from the dead, I know it because I know it."

Simple as that.

Did you ever see with your own eyes proof of a man, dead since 3 days and rotting, coming back to life? (And jesus was surely rotting BAD, it's hot in palestine...)

No? I guessed that as well.

Did you ever see Santa with your own eyes? No?

Then why do you believe in Jesus' resurrection and you don't believe in Santa?

It's a simple question. Give me a simple answer without escaping in circles as you've done until now. Please. :thanks:

I see how this works now...

I see that you're logged-out once again. You're probably going to grab a glass of water and a Milk-bone, then sit down in front of your computer and generate another one of your oh so insightful posts.

I would like to suggest that you take a sip of water with each bite. Those things tend to get a bit pasty if you don't. But then again, I'm positive that you already knew that.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've been here all along. Not for a solid three hours. Who would?-----Well, you probably. But as a single mom with a daughter I can't really afford that luxury. It is a luxury, isn't it? Peering into stranger's souls while also tracking their Web activity. By the way, you're a bit off on my comings and goings. And how would you know, anyway? Furthermore, why would you care? I'd like to say, I'm flattered. But how can I? Knowing nothing of you but your ability to sweet-talk ...a 'rude bitch', was it? And, of course, my interest was piqued once I knew you spared no expense with a box of Milk-bones .

But ...about that bee in your bonnet. If you can articulate a few questions ...and why not enumerate them. I'll be happy to respond. Listen, Lamb-chop, we're not going to get very far if you don't know when I'm kidding. For instance, Eponymic, unless I'm mistaken, is fully aware that all of what I said was tongue in cheek. It was cute the way you leapt to his defense. He must be very pleased to have such a caring and attentive friend. I'll be popping in tomorrow. Have a nice day. . .NS

1) The bible says things that have no root whatsoever in the real life. The bible says, i.e., that the earth is flat and has corners and that you can see the whole population of the world from the top of a very high mountain. The bible also says that a person, dead since 3 days (and, one might add, rotten and stinking), can come back to life. Both these things cannot be observed, or proven, in the real world.
Here is your answer...
CONTEXT CARD:- When a believer in the Christian Holy Book disagrees with what the Holy Book states, they rebut it by saying, "You're taking that verse out of context."  This card also plays well with the Literary Metaphor card in the event that they are really starting to see how baseless and absurd their beliefs are.

2) We, as exchristians and rational human beings, notice the discrepancies. So we simply say: "A 3 days corpse cannot come back to life. The earth is not flat." and are content to do that.
The reason that you are rational and notice the discrepancies is due to the fact that you are so close-minded and unable to comprehend such Divine Truth™ and, if you had even a fraction of Christian Intelligence™ you could only begin to understand these Truths™.

There ya go, Nicole/Nicky/Nickster/NS/Molly! You don't have to answer Asuryan's post either. I did it for you. :grin:

Hope you can be of help?

Honey, do you realize what you have written so far? The condescendence, the arrogance you spewed forth when you said "go talk with a junior high english teacher" or something like that? What gives you the right to call people stupid all while dodging their questions?  :ugh:

Maybe my comrades here have been too subtle, and not straightforward enough. This is my guess about what they meant.

3) You as a christian choose to believe the raising back from the dead story, and to justify the flat earth story with the word Metaphore. Forgive me for saying so, but your justification stinks a lot. The flat earth story is a metaphore just because you can't deny that the earth is a sphere, if we hadn't some photographic proof you probably would deny that too and say "the earth IS flat all right, I know it because I know it". Which is the same thing you are doing with the christ came back from the dead story: "christ came back from the dead, I know it because I know it."

Simple as that.

Did you ever see with your own eyes proof of a man, dead since 3 days and rotting, coming back to life? (And jesus was surely rotting BAD, it's hot in palestine...)

No? I guessed that as well.

Did you ever see Santa with your own eyes? No?

Then why do you believe in Jesus' resurrection and you don't believe in Santa?

It's a simple question. Give me a simple answer without escaping in circles as you've done until now. Please.  :thanks:

I fail to see where it's inadvisable to refer someone wrestling with metaphors to consult an English teacher. What would you have them do? Call Roto-Rooter?

Nor have I called anyone 'stupid' -- though you tempt me, severely. However in your case I feel it best to opt for ...insipid? No. How 'bout moronic?

So tell me Mo, what would you like me to 'prove' for you -- as if that's my job. I believe what I choose to believe, and this not being Stalinist Russia, I'm entirely free to believe as I wish. . .free of persecution and the idle taunts of ill qualified skeptics, agnostics, or atheists -- such as yourself. You are an atheist, correct? I believe that's what your avatar stated. If not, forgive me for getting it wrong.

It really isn't any Christian's job to prove anything to anyone. We don't have any irrefutable proof. And it's disingenuous on your part to believe we have, and then pretend to get all huffy when we don't produce any, knowing full well as you all do that there isn't any. Never has been. And Thank Goodness for that. Otherwise we couldn't be saved by Faith.

It's all faith. Believing, disbelieving. Faith supports each one. It's really pretty darn clever, don't you think, the way God has the whole game rigged out? No, Mo -- Christians are merely asked to go into the world and tell the Good News. So listen up, Mo -- Good News, buddy. Jesus loves you ...and I'm trying. lol Have a great day. Talk to you again, soon I hope.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I've been here all along. Not for a solid three hours. Who would?-----Well, you probably.
I'm at work. I have plenty of time to be here. Thank you.

But as a single mom with a daughter I can't really afford that luxury. It is a luxury, isn't it?
Aww... I almost feel some pity here. I have two teenage boys, and believe me, there is plenty that I can't afford.

Peering into stranger's souls while also tracking their Web activity. By the way, you're a bit off on my comings and goings. And how would you know, anyway? Furthermore, why would you care? I'd like to say, I'm flattered. But how can I?
More dodging. You're good at that.

Knowing nothing of you but your ability to sweet-talk ...a 'rude bitch', was it? And, of course, my interest was piqued once I knew you spared no expense with a box of Milk-bones ™.
It was "God damn rude bitch" in case you missed it.

But ...about that bee in your bonnet. If you can articulate a few questions ...and why not enumerate them. I'll be happy to respond.
And just why in the heck should I believe this? You certainly haven't shown any signs of wanting to give an actualy response to questions that have been asked of you thus far. Why would you want to start now?

If you were going to answer them, you would have done so already. If you think I'm going to list and number them, well, you are more deluded than anyone here might expect.

Listen, Lamb-chop, we're not going to get very far if you don't know when I'm kidding.
Yeah, I remember, you pulled this Just Kidding card out when you started here at this site. No apologies to anyone for the comments that you made, just a simple "I'm just kidding".

Fuck you.

For instance, Eponymic, unless I'm mistaken, is fully aware that all of what I said was tongue in cheek.
You? Possibly mistaken? Oh, say it isn't so!!!

It was cute the way you leapt to his defense.
It was, wasn't it? :HaHa:

He must be very pleased to have such a caring and attentive friend.
You're not ass-u-ming here again, are you?

I'll be popping in tomorrow.
Please don't.

Have a nice day. . .NS

:vtffani:Sit'n spin.

It's all faith. Believing, disbelieving. Faith supports each one. It's really pretty darn clever, don't you think, the way God has the whole game rigged out? No, Mo -- Christians are merely asked to go into the world and tell the Good News. So listen up, Mo -- Good News, buddy. Jesus loves you ...and I'm trying. lol Have a great day. Talk to you again, soon I hope.
You have no idea how this belief/faith thing hinders, and has become a great detriment to society. This "faith" that has made a great deal of people apathetic towards other's situations because of some ridiculous belief that their imaginary friend is in control of everything.

There's no way that you could ever feel compelled to understand that side of it, and by the tone of your explanation above, it seems that you think your religion is some sort of joke anway.

It doesn't really surprise me though, based on what we've seen of your personality so far.

I'm at work. I have plenty of time to be here. Thank you.

Aww... I almost feel some pity here. I have two teenage boys, and believe me, there is plenty that I can't afford.

More dodging. You're good at that.

It was "God damn rude bitch" in case you missed it.

And just why in the heck should I believe this? You certainly haven't shown any signs of wanting to give an actualy response to questions that have been asked of you thus far. Why would you want to start now?

If you were going to answer them, you would have done so already. If you think I'm going to list and number them, well, you are more deluded than anyone here might expect.

Yeah, I remember, you pulled this Just Kidding card out when you started here at this site. No apologies to anyone for the comments that you made, just a simple "I'm just kidding".

Fuck you.

You? Possibly mistaken? Oh, say it isn't so!!!

It was, wasn't it?  :HaHa:

You're not ass-u-ming here again, are you?

Hey, F, how do you respond to the quotes individually, instead of lumping 'em all en masse, as I've been doing? If you don't hear from me, it's cause I've crashed. I envy you, boys I would think would be easier. Arguing with my daughter is like arguing with myself. And of course ...being younger and having the edge in vitality means she wins ...by attrition. Hope the rest of work goes fast. Catch you later. ns