Goodbye Jesus

BASTARD!

crazy-tiger

Picture the scene, if you will...

I'm talking to a friend, someone I've known for a few years now, and they invite me to "our anniversary"

I know they're married, but I don't know when they got married, so I assumed that he was talking about their wedding anniversary. (well, you would, wouldn't you?)

That was last Saturday... fast-forward to this morning, and I get a phone call from said friend telling me where this anniversary was being held.

The local church. :ugh:

Now, I've avoided church for years... The last time I went was for my mothers funeral, the time before that for my mothers re-marriage, and the time before that when I was 8 years old. So, I've been successful in avoiding church...

Not any more... I've got to go to a church to celebrate someones anniversary. No problem... I can handle that.

Then he drops a bombshell on me... he ends the call with the immortal phrase "we're all happy that you're going to be celebrating the churches anniversary with us"

WHAT??

It's not a wedding anniversary, but the anniversary of their chuch moving into their current location!

Un-fucking-believable... I'm going to be going and celebrating how long the church has been there, and I can't get out of it now. :twitch:

I'm a man of my word... If I say I'll do something, I will. If I say I'll be there, I'll be there.

The git knows this about me, and he's played on that to get me there. He also knows that I despise going into any church building or celebrating anyting to do with the church, but it's not stopped him from doing this.

I phoned him right back and asked him why he couldn't tell me what it was all about in the first place... "well, if I'd done that, you wouldn't come to church, and Jesus really want's you to go to church so you can be saved"

:vent: AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! :vent:

I've got 2 choices... Go and give everyone the silent treatment, or go and give them hell if they try to save me.

I'll let everyone know how it's gone when it's all over. (sometime tomorrow pm.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crazy-tiger

• Ouroboros

• Fweethawt

• Vigile

Oooh... this should be good. Let's see if you have the guts to be as ornery in real life as you are on here. ;)

I say give 'em hell and prepare a few sarcastic comments and/or defenses for your position. LOL ;)

I'm a man of my word... If I say I'll do something, I will. If I say I'll be there, I'll be there.

I don't think you have to go there. Even a legal contract isn't always binding, if you can show that you have been decieved.

I phoned him right back and asked him why he couldn't tell me what it was all about in the first place... "well, if I'd done that, you wouldn't come to church, and Jesus really want's you to go to church so you can be saved"

First off, I would confront this person with the fact that they flat-out lied to you, deceived you. Ask how they justify that to the Lord Jesus who wants to save you?

Second, just tell him that you won't be coming, period. Forget 'your word' - you were giving your word to show up for a PERSONAL wedding anniversary, not some church service. Your reputation is not at stake, but your friend's reputation has certainly been tarnished!

He was purposely deceptive and yet you are keeping your promise based on what has now been revealed as deception? :Doh:

Why is it that they think church is this magical place that once a heathen of even say your caliber will melt in the glow of aura of god that resides there? If he knows you well he obviously knows you're a hard case. Why would attending a boring ceremony knock out your resistance?

I suggest you give them hell. Arrive with both barrels loaded. Tell them Jesus never existed, sin is a man-made concept, the bible has been completely discredited, and rationality trumps faith every time.

Yeah... I'm a strange person... If I make a promise, I will keep it

Thing is, he never said it was a wedding anniversary... I just assumed that was what he meant. :Doh:

I've decided what I'm gonna do... I'll be polite and quiet, but not give them the silent treatment. If anyone asks why I'm there, I'll let them know that I was misled about the occasion. (that'll put the cat amongst the pigeons... :wicked: )

But if anyone tries to "save" me... Nuke.jpg

What type of church? If it's Anglican I'm guessing it should be pretty tame and no one will attempt to save you; though I would look forward to a report of the fallout should someone try.

I'm with Trashy on this one. The guy used deception to get you to come to the church. He KNEW you wouldn't go otherwise. To me that shows he doesn't respect where YOU stand on religion. What kind of friend is that?

He took advantage of getting you to agree to something, believing you will stick to your "word" out of honor. A personality trait that does you great credit, but should not be an absolute guarantee when that trait is flat out abused by someone.

He didn't just deceive you, he manipulated you.

Yeah... I'm a strange person... If I make a promise, I will keep it

Thing is, he never said it was a wedding anniversary... I just assumed that was what he meant. :Doh:

Don't "Doh" that!!!!

That is a perfectly normal assumption! The people present were the guy and his wife.....NOT the entire congregation when the invite was originally made! When people speak in "we's" and "ours" and there are TWO emotionally involved people standing in front of you, every normal human listening is going to assume they are speaking specifically of matters pertaining to that couple personally.

These two took advantage of normal communication......and they've justified it by knowing it would get you in the building. Which is a total "win" for them.

Conning a body into the church is all anyone needs, after all. Since Jesus will obviously save you an you will convieniently forget that your friends Lied. A lie by omission is STILL a lie.

Sure it's not warm and fuzzy, and most people like being warm and fuzzy.....but I'd call this guy back, tell him you thought they were referring to their wedding anniversary which is important and valuable to you, but since you now understand it to be for a building that you care NOTHING about, you don't feel it would be right to attend.

Something like that.

You never said how long you would stay did you?

Or you could scare the hell out of them with comments about hearing voices commanding you to burn something, or that you had a dream that Wicca is the true way...

Nah, I'd just say I had doubts because of all the errors in the bible, and bring some of them up. Most Christians have no clue there are different geneologies of Jesus in Matthew and Luke.

But Vixen is right. You didn't say how long you'd stay. So you could come, visit for a few minutes, then if a service breaks out you could leave.

t's not a wedding anniversary, but the anniversary of their chuch moving into their current location!

Personally, since he tried to pull a fast one, I wouldn't attend. And anyhow why would you want to be with the congregation of this church in their celebration? Sometimes you just have to say "no". Especially since he said this: :vent: "Jesus really want's you to go to church so you can be saved" :Hmm:

I would be PISSED that is for damn sure! That was very sneaky and down right rotten. Who is your friend's god again? I thought that is how satan was suppose to work? Oh man, I feel for ya. I would give them hell if you go...and if you are a daring person, REALLY give them hell in a creative way...sure we could help by giving you ideas... lol If it were me, I would not attend because that is not what I agreed to...and the person asking knows that.

Personally, since he tried to pull a fast one, I wouldn't attend.  And anyhow why would you want to be with the congregation of this church in their celebration?  Sometimes you just have to say "no".  Especially since he said this:  :vent: "Jesus really want's you to go to church so you can be saved"  :Hmm:

I agree with you 110% on this... especially when all his intentions are, is to save him.... UGH

WTH!!!

Tell him he was deceitful and lying, and that is not a Christian trait or the fruits of the spirit.

He tricked you, just like the snake tricked A&E, which means that he must be of the devil and will go to hell. He's the one that needs to be saved and not you!

Dress up like Anton LaVey and chant "zazas zazas nasatanada zazas" the whole time.

:pureevil:

Hey, it'd stop them from pulling that shit on you ever again.

Alternatively, blaspheme the Holy Spirit in front of the whole congregation.

He was purposely deceptive and yet you are keeping your promise based on what has now been revealed as deception?  :Doh:

Sometimes we non-christians really are downright silly in our honesty, aren't we? :fdevil:

Intent on keeping your word CT?

Make this party a memorable one for everyone.

Are they serving food and drink?

I think I would invite a few homeless people to come along and share in the Lard's provisions.

Halllleeefuckingluya!

Praise Jebus!

And C-T, you gave you word to go for a total different reason, and since the reason has changed, you're not breaking your promise by not going. They changed the parameters of the event, and you booked your time for something else, which they withdrew. In my mind, you're not breaking any promisses by not going, but THEY BROKE THEIR PROMISE. They should be held accountable!

Or C-T, go there to preach de-conversion!

I think I would invite a few homeless people to come along and share in the Lard's provisions. 

Oh no, Glob won't like that. I have a fucking christian book somewhere, telling pastors (church planters) to concentrate their effort on healthy normal people, who just need Jesus.

You see, people with heavy problems is a long term investment, and many congregations cannot afford that.

:vent::vent::vent:

Guest Dragonblade
Dress up like Anton LaVey and chant "zazas zazas nasatanada zazas" the whole time.

:pureevil:

Hey, it'd stop them from pulling that shit on you ever again.

Alternatively, blaspheme the Holy Spirit in front of the whole congregation.

This sounds like a good plan. Personally, when I get roped into a situation like that I always wear a Baphomet t-shirt, or one with an inverted cross that says "What Would Satan Do?" People usually avoid me, just stare at me out of the corner of their eye, and I don't have to say much if anything. In any event I eat all I can and generally have a good time.

Hail Satan

What type of church?  If it's Anglican I'm guessing it should be pretty tame and no one will attempt to save you; though I would look forward to a report of the fallout should someone try.

It's the Holocostal Pentacostal church, so I know someone's going to try to "save" me...

Oh no, Glob won't like that. I have a fucking christian book somewhere, telling pastors (church planters) to concentrate their effort on healthy normal people, who just need Jesus.

You see, people with heavy problems is a long term investment, and many congregations cannot afford that.

:vent:   :vent:   :vent:

Exactly my point! Especially if they've had too much to drink and are puking all that wonderful food up that the Lard so wonderfully provided.