Goodbye Jesus

What Exactly Do I Believe?

Guest Perfect Insanity

Guest confused idiot

I do not believe that life could exist without a creator.

I do not believe that any God would create life without a purpose behind it.

I don't think that the Bible is the literal word of God. Inspired maybe, but not directly penned by God word for word. Certain things in it show me this. It's a collection of scriptures written by fallible men. Possibly with an agenda, possibly not. It was later put together (not prayerfully) into what we now call the Bible by power hungry men, who decided they had the authority to decide what was and wasn't the "word of God".

I don't know for sure what I believe about Jesus.

I have phobia type fears about demons, and stories I've heard about them.

I don't believe it's possible one way or another to know anything about an afterlife, until the day you die.

I don't think there's a such thing as a relationship with God.

I don't, based on the division I see in Christians, think that there's any Holy Spirit dwelling inside anyone.

I don't believe that it's possible to know that you're "right".

I don't know if I believe in evolution.

I think that some of the "rules" Christians have are completely stupid, and have nothing to do with morals. For example, that certain words are "bad", just because someone decided they were, while they'll replace the "bad" word with one that they consider better, having the exact same meaning, and that's somehow better. Example: "I'm dealing with a lot of shit right now." / "I'm dealing with a lot of crap right now." Both statements mean the exact same thing. Both words mean the exact same thing. Yet, somehow, for some reason, the word "shit" is bad, but the word "crap" is fine, just because someone said so.

I believe that we do, in a way, have a sin nature, yet I believe that most people are "good" by default, so I don't know what exactly I believe about this.

I believe that certain things in the Old Testament are immoral and wrong.

I don't believe that it's fair that we apparently deserve eternal hellfire for something our ancestors did. Meaning, we're created with a nature that God hates, because of something someone else did, that God allowed. And it's all our fault, and we're going to suffer unspeakable pain forever for it. Just for being born.

I don't believe the God that the Bible describes loves us at all.

I believe that this world hates Jesus, just like he said they would. For what reasons, though, I'm not sure.

I'll add more as I think of them. When I seperate indoctrination from genuine beliefs, I don't know what I truly believe deep down inside. I need help figuring it out.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shyone

• DesertBob

• renoliz

• florduh

Guest I Love Dog

I do not believe that life could exist without a creator.

I do not believe that any God would create life without a purpose behind it.

I don't think that the Bible is the literal word of God. Inspired maybe, but not directly penned by God word for word. Certain things in it show me this. It's a collection of scriptures written by fallible men. Possibly with an agenda, possibly not. It was later put together (not prayerfully) into what we now call the Bible by power hungry men, who decided they had the authority to decide what was and wasn't the "word of God".

I don't know for sure what I believe about Jesus.

I have phobia type fears about demons, and stories I've heard about them.

I don't believe it's possible one way or another to know anything about an afterlife, until the day you die.

I don't think there's a such thing as a relationship with God.

I don't, based on the division I see in Christians, think that there's any Holy Spirit dwelling inside anyone.

I don't believe that it's possible to know that you're "right".

I don't know if I believe in evolution.

I think that some of the "rules" Christians have are completely stupid, and have nothing to do with morals. For example, that certain words are "bad", just because someone decided they were, while they'll replace the "bad" word with one that they consider better, having the exact same meaning, and that's somehow better. Example: "I'm dealing with a lot of shit right now." / "I'm dealing with a lot of crap right now." Both statements mean the exact same thing. Both words mean the exact same thing. Yet, somehow, for some reason, the word "shit" is bad, but the word "crap" is fine, just because someone said so.

I believe that we do, in a way, have a sin nature, yet I believe that most people are "good" by default, so I don't know what exactly I believe about this.

I believe that certain things in the Old Testament are immoral and wrong.

I don't believe that it's fair that we apparently deserve eternal hellfire for something our ancestors did. Meaning, we're created with a nature that God hates, because of something someone else did, that God allowed. And it's all our fault, and we're going to suffer unspeakable pain forever for it. Just for being born.

I don't believe the God that the Bible describes loves us at all.

I believe that this world hates Jesus, just like he said they would. For what reasons, though, I'm not sure.

I'll add more as I think of them. When I seperate indoctrination from genuine beliefs, I don't know what I truly believe deep down inside. I need help figuring it out.

Where do I start?

You are so confused!

Firstly, research your god. Yahweh, the invention of the sub-intelligent minds of donkey nomads 2500 years ago, just one of the many gods that they worshiped.

The OT is a crock of shit. The ramblings of religious zealots. There is so much immorality in the OT, it's unbelievable. "God" killed 33 million people in the OT, 4 times as many as Adolph Hitler killed.

Jesus is a re-birth of Horus(Egyptian god) and Mithras(Persian god) put together by the Romans to have complete power over people and to generate incredible wealth( read about the Roman Catholic Church regarding power and wealth)

We are life forms the same as any other life form on Earth. we only think that we are special, because we are able to think.

"Sin" is only an invention of Christianity. We all have natural desires and needs, varying from person to person. It's individual. What is important is that we don't hurt anybody in the process of discovering what we need to be able to live a fulfilling life.

Good luck in your quest for the truth. It's very simple and all at your fingertips on the WWW.

I believe the sun will rise tomorrow. That's about it.

"I do not believe that life could exist without a creator."

For what reasons? And how would a creator exist without another creator greater than such creator? You should check out the "Blind Watchmaker"

"I do not believe that any God would create life without a purpose behind it."

Why not? If I was a god I might create something just for shits & giggles because its not as if I would have anything better to do. Doesn't mean I gotta have a purpose for it, maybe to cure my boredom, but nothing extravagant.

"I don't think that the Bible is the literal word of God. Inspired maybe, but not directly penned by God word for word. Certain things in it show me this. It's a collection of scriptures written by fallible men. Possibly with an agenda, possibly not. It was later put together (not prayerfully) into what we now call the Bible by power hungry men, who decided they had the authority to decide what was and wasn't the "word of God"."

Could be inspired, but really, when you compare it to other religions and mythological stories, I bet you could see that its nothing new.

"I don't know for sure what I believe about Jesus.'

There is a DVD called "The God who Wasn't There" it could help you out as far as food for thought. Also you should look into hero stories and Jesus. You have the internet so you can probably find all this stuff for free.

"I have phobia type fears about demons, and stories I've heard about them."

I used to think demons were real too, one time I thought one was in my bed with me, like grinning at me and shit. After I left xtianity that sort of went away, I gave up on the whole idea that a demon(s) could exist. If the religion isn't true, than all the other nit picky bullshit doesn't apply imo.

"I don't believe it's possible one way or another to know anything about an afterlife, until the day you die."

True, and think about it, whats the point of living in fear if you won't know until you're dead anyway? And if one does exist, it probably doesn't have anything to do with hell or heaven.

"I don't think there's a such thing as a relationship with God."

The whole idea that this extremely powerful being needs an intimate relationship with all of us kind of doesn't make sense, and think about this, in the old testament god did alot of crazy barbaric shit, doesn't sound like anyone I would want to have a relationship with, and if Jesus is god made flesh, than Jesus is a psychopath also.

"I don't, based on the division I see in Christians, think that there's any Holy Spirit dwelling inside anyone."

Xtians are highly hypocritical, kind of funny. Especially when they try to rationalize their hypocrisy.

"I don't believe that it's possible to know that you're "right"."

Only through tested facts can you construct and semi reliable sense of being right, but to me that adds an exciting awe and wonder to life, because there is so much to learn and experience.

"I don't know if I believe in evolution."

There is some good stuff to start out with on the PBS website, I'm still learning about it myself, I've watched alot of documentaries and shit, reading some books, and so forth. Here is a good website for you too http://www.talkorigins.org/

'I think that some of the "rules" Christians have are completely stupid, and have nothing to do with morals. For example, that certain words are "bad", just because someone decided they were, while they'll replace the "bad" word with one that they consider better, having the exact same meaning, and that's somehow better. Example: "I'm dealing with a lot of shit right now." / "I'm dealing with a lot of crap right now." Both statements mean the exact same thing. Both words mean the exact same thing. Yet, somehow, for some reason, the word "shit" is bad, but the word "crap" is fine, just because someone said so."

Yeah they get the whole bad word thing from some passage in the bible about the tongue or some shit. If you ask me, saying fuck isn't even remotely as bad as killing somebody, in fact strong language can be used for good in the right situations.

"I believe that we do, in a way, have a sin nature, yet I believe that most people are "good" by default, so I don't know what exactly I believe about this."

I don't know about sin, I think there is something more for the reasons why we misbehave. Check out the Selfish Gene book, I am still reading it but its very interesting and it might help you out in that area.

"I believe that certain things in the Old Testament are immoral and wrong."

Oh yeah, you bet they are.

"I don't believe that it's fair that we apparently deserve eternal hellfire for something our ancestors did. Meaning, we're created with a nature that God hates, because of something someone else did, that God allowed. And it's all our fault, and we're going to suffer unspeakable pain forever for it. Just for being born."

Exactly, we could still have freewill, but he could have given the options of only doing good things, but with the freewill to pick from a multitude of options. Yet it must have been some sort of sick joke to allow Satan into the garden, and to yet still put a 'evil" tree in the garden within reach of Adam & Eve, kind of fucking stupid if you ask me. And even more so like you said, why punish us for what two people did, and if knowing ahead of time what would happen, why create us only so that we could suffer? Maybe it has to do with him being a sick freak, the whole burning animals unto him shit and what not.

"I don't believe the God that the Bible describes loves us at all."

Probably not, considering you either have to obey him or burn in hell, not so loving huh?

"I believe that this world hates Jesus, just like he said they would. For what reasons, though, I'm not sure."

I dunno about that, hard to hate someone that might not have existed, and even if he did I would just write him off as another dude in history that thought he was god. I wouldn't hate the dude, just think hes crazy.

"I'll add more as I think of them. When I seperate indoctrination from genuine beliefs, I don't know what I truly believe deep down inside. I need help figuring it out."

Good luck.

Guest confused idiot

I Love Dog:

"Where do I start?

You are so confused!"

Yeah, pretty much.

"Firstly, research your god. Yahweh, the invention of the sub-intelligent minds of donkey nomads 2500 years ago, just one of the many gods that they worshiped."

Maybe that's the case, I'm not sure.

"The OT is a crock of shit. The ramblings of religious zealots. There is so much immorality in the OT, it's unbelievable. "God" killed 33 million people in the OT, 4 times as many as Adolph Hitler killed."

This will sound strange, but I don't necessarily have a problem with the bloodshed itself, but more like some of the things that it was done for. Particularly the killing of innocent people. There are a few more passages in the OT that I originally didn't know about that I was very surprised to find. The places where rape is basically encouraged, for one. Violently killing babies is another. If there's any truth to this stuff, and God never changes, like the Bible says, then I think the NT is bullshit, because the OT and the NT are worlds apart. I don't think they were ever supposed to even go together, much less be put together in the same book.

"Jesus is a re-birth of Horus(Egyptian god) and Mithras(Persian god)"

I have heard that before.

"put together by the Romans to have complete power over people and to generate incredible wealth( read about the Roman Catholic Church regarding power and wealth)"

I could easily buy that.

"We are life forms the same as any other life form on Earth. we only think that we are special, because we are able to think."

I don't know about that. Maybe, but I don't know.

"Sin" is only an invention of Christianity. We all have natural desires and needs, varying from person to person. It's individual. What is important is that we don't hurt anybody in the process of discovering what we need to be able to live a fulfilling life."

I know. The only thing that really makes me think we have a sin nature is because you don't have to teach kids to do wrong, they'll figure it out themselves. You have to teach them to do right.

"Good luck in your quest for the truth. It's very simple and all at your fingertips on the WWW."

I wouldn't call it simple. Unfortunately, I'm too easily influenced by what I read. If I read something pertaining to fundy Christianity, I'll be swayed towards that. If I read something completely opposite, I'll be swayed towards that. That's why I can't just google something and learn about it. Because on the internet, there's all kinds of info out there, coming from every kind of viewpoint.

EvilNarcissus:

"I believe the sun will rise tomorrow. That's about it."

That sounds about right.

Xerces:

"For what reasons? And how would a creator exist without another creator greater than such creator? You should check out the "Blind Watchmaker"

I don't know how to answer to this one.

"Why not? If I was a god I might create something just for shits & giggles because its not as if I would have anything better to do. Doesn't mean I gotta have a purpose for it, maybe to cure my boredom, but nothing extravagant."

Anything's possible, just extremely unlikely. I doubt any God would create anything for no other reason than just the lol factor of it.

"Could be inspired, but really, when you compare it to other religions and mythological stories, I bet you could see that its nothing new."

Not denying that.

"There is a DVD called "The God who Wasn't There" it could help you out as far as food for thought. Also you should look into hero stories and Jesus. You have the internet so you can probably find all this stuff for free."

I've heard of that before.

"I used to think demons were real too, one time I thought one was in my bed with me, like grinning at me and shit. After I left xtianity that sort of went away, I gave up on the whole idea that a demon(s) could exist. If the religion isn't true, than all the other nit picky bullshit doesn't apply imo."

I'm not saying I definitely believe in demons, because I've never had any experiences with anything demonic or even spiritual before, but like I said, it's a phobia type thing. Fearing it based on stories I've heard from people I used to read and listen to.

"True, and think about it, whats the point of living in fear if you won't know until you're dead anyway? And if one does exist, it probably doesn't have anything to do with hell or heaven."

Impossible to know.

"The whole idea that this extremely powerful being needs an intimate relationship with all of us kind of doesn't make sense, and think about this, in the old testament god did alot of crazy barbaric shit, doesn't sound like anyone I would want to have a relationship with, and if Jesus is god made flesh, than Jesus is a psychopath also."

It really doesn't make sense. Whenever I hear anyone say "It's not a religion, it's a relationship!" I just want to laugh. As far as I can tell, no one that I know has any kind of a relationship with God.

"Xtians are highly hypocritical, kind of funny. Especially when they try to rationalize their hypocrisy."

Very true.

"Only through tested facts can you construct and semi reliable sense of being right, but to me that adds an exciting awe and wonder to life, because there is so much to learn and experience."

Still, you can't know for sure. Why worry about what you can't know? Why can't I tell myself this? What I really meant by that was, let's say you've got a Baptist and a Church of Christ, they both argue and attack each other, thinking they're right and the other guy is wrong. They can't know that, because scripture is so open to interpretation, you can't know for sure what it's even talking about.

"There is some good stuff to start out with on the PBS website, I'm still learning about it myself, I've watched alot of documentaries and shit, reading some books, and so forth. Here is a good website for you too http://www.talkorigins.org/"

Since being on this website, I've learned about a few examples of evolution. When I say I don't know what I believe about it, what I really meant was the long drawn out process where we cam from cells. I could easily believe it if I thought that there was a God who did it, but I don't know if I buy that all that happened by itself. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying, I don't know.

"Yeah they get the whole bad word thing from some passage in the bible about the tongue or some shit. If you ask me, saying fuck isn't even remotely as bad as killing somebody, in fact strong language can be used for good in the right situations."

Strong language is used to emphesize strong statements. You can't express strong emotion by saying "golly darn it, I just stubbed my flarking toe"

"I don't know about sin, I think there is something more for the reasons why we misbehave. Check out the Selfish Gene book, I am still reading it but its very interesting and it might help you out in that area."

Ok.

"Exactly, we could still have freewill, but he could have given the options of only doing good things, but with the freewill to pick from a multitude of options. Yet it must have been some sort of sick joke to allow Satan into the garden, and to yet still put a 'evil" tree in the garden within reach of Adam & Eve, kind of fucking stupid if you ask me. And even more so like you said, why punish us for what two people did, and if knowing ahead of time what would happen, why create us only so that we could suffer? Maybe it has to do with him being a sick freak, the whole burning animals unto him shit and what not."

It's not a fair concept either way.

"Probably not, considering you either have to obey him or burn in hell, not so loving huh?"

True, but when I say that I don't believe he loves us, I'm not even talking about hell.

"I dunno about that, hard to hate someone that might not have existed, and even if he did I would just write him off as another dude in history that thought he was god. I wouldn't hate the dude, just think hes crazy."

Borrowing a joke that I mentioned in my old topic, you don't ever hear anybody saying "allah dammit". It's always "god dammit" or "jesus christ". Why?

Borrowing a joke that I mentioned in my old topic, you don't ever hear anybody saying "allah dammit". It's always "god dammit" or "jesus christ". Why?

I can think of a couple of reasons. First, the English language uses curse words in certain ways that lends itself to invoking dieties in irreligious ways.

More importantly, there are real life-threatening consequences to cursing using Allah or Mohammed.

Also, raised in a Christian environment, we would invoke the religious figures we know best.

I do happen to know that Allah has been used in a variety of circumstances not specifically related to prayer. In Spanish, there is an expression "Ojala'" (pronounced Oh-Ha-LA) which means "I hope" but comes from the Moorish occupation of Spain. The last two syllables are the name Allah.

I speak very little Arabic, so I'm not sure how to curse in Arabic, but if they don't invoke the deity, then they probably have some really interesting curses. Maybe something to do with camels?

• Super Moderator

I don't know what you DO believe any more than you do, but I know what you SHOULD believe.

You should believe things that make sense and have real evidence going for them. You should not believe unsupported claims of "revealed wisdom" and concepts that defy known reality, logic and reason.

Guest Valk0010

Ever thought about just saying fuck group think and coming up with you own beliefs entirely.

Also ever thought about like theistic buddhism?

Guest confused idiot

I can think of a couple of reasons. First, the English language uses curse words in certain ways that lends itself to invoking dieties in irreligious ways.

More importantly, there are real life-threatening consequences to cursing using Allah or Mohammed.

Also, raised in a Christian environment, we would invoke the religious figures we know best.

I do happen to know that Allah has been used in a variety of circumstances not specifically related to prayer. In Spanish, there is an expression "Ojala'" (pronounced Oh-Ha-LA) which means "I hope" but comes from the Moorish occupation of Spain. The last two syllables are the name Allah.

I speak very little Arabic, so I'm not sure how to curse in Arabic, but if they don't invoke the deity, then they probably have some really interesting curses. Maybe something to do with camels?

Good points.

I don't know what you DO believe any more than you do, but I know what you SHOULD believe.

You should believe things that make sense and have real evidence going for them. You should not believe unsupported claims of "revealed wisdom" and concepts that defy known reality, logic and reason.

You're right.

Ever thought about just saying fuck group think and coming up with you own beliefs entirely.

Also ever thought about like theistic buddhism?

All the time. I don't do groups or organized religion. But if I'm coming up with my own beliefs, there's gonna be wishful thinking involved. That's one of the reasons I don't want to go back to any kind of God stuff, because my mind will either come up with my own made up image of what I want God to be like, or it will come up with the mindfuckingest version of God available.

I have a tiny point about what you said about having to teach kids to do good but that they can be bad by themselves.

They have no concept of good or bad. Either way they will emulate what they see in people around them. Often telling them directly not to do something only gives them the idea to do it. I have young children and its sometimes amazing how caring and naturally sweet and compassionate they can be without ever being told how.

I guess I just really disagree that people have an innate sin nature. I don't think people are born good or evil, both kinds of behaviors are taught. We are born with a certain degree of selfishness because its conducive to survival. But I don't think that is evil.

Guest confused idiot

I have a tiny point about what you said about having to teach kids to do good but that they can be bad by themselves.

They have no concept of good or bad. Either way they will emulate what they see in people around them. Often telling them directly not to do something only gives them the idea to do it. I have young children and its sometimes amazing how caring and naturally sweet and compassionate they can be without ever being told how.

I guess I just really disagree that people have an innate sin nature. I don't think people are born good or evil, both kinds of behaviors are taught. We are born with a certain degree of selfishness because its conducive to survival. But I don't think that is evil.

Yeah, you've got a point there.

Guest Perfect Insanity

I figured out what I believe.

I believe that there's a God out there who hates us. A God who purposely wired us to where we would piss him off. A God who gave us natural desires, yet condemns us for having them. A God who threatens to torch us for just being born. A God who sets us up so we'll fall, just so he can punish us. I believe that life is just a sick joke, where what is good to us is evil to God. I believe in a God who wants to trip us up so he can punish us when we fall. I believe that I'm damned without hope, yet God wants to torture me mentally with obsessive religious thoughts anyway, before he tortures me physically after I die. I don't like what I believe, but god damn it, I believe it.

So there, I guess I've figured it out and answered my own question.

• Super Moderator

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Guest Valk0010

I believe that there's a God out there who hates us. A God who purposely wired us to where we would piss him off. A God who gave us natural desires, yet condemns us for having them. A God who threatens to torch us for just being born. A God who sets us up so we'll fall, just so he can punish us. I believe that life is just a sick joke, where what is good to us is evil to God. I believe in a God who wants to trip us up so he can punish us when we fall. I believe that I'm damned without hope, yet God wants to torture me mentally with obsessive religious thoughts anyway, before he tortures me physically after I die. I don't like what I believe, but god damn it, I believe it.

Might as well call that god a devil, and forget worrying about it because your screwed anyway.

Now for the next stage, be a skeptic and pick apart why that is BS. And see if the idea stands.

Guest Perfect Insanity

Might as well call that god a devil, and forget worrying about it because your screwed anyway.

Now for the next stage, be a skeptic and pick apart why that is BS. And see if the idea stands.

I'm pissed, not worried.

So, you're christian? :HaHa:

Guest Perfect Insanity

The Christian worldview is what I just described, yes. But I'm definitely no Christian.

The Christian worldview is what I just described, yes. But I'm definitely no Christian.

I know, I kid, I kid! I can't help myself.

Guest Perfect Insanity

My psychiatrist appointment is finally coming up the day after tomorrow. Just because I know I'll go blank when I start trying to explain my situation, I'm going to prepare a very detailed "testimony" about where I'm at, where I've been, and where I want to be, and read it off to him. Has anyone had any experience doing that? Do they generally care if you do something like that? Anything in particular I should be sure to write down?

My psychiatrist appointment is finally coming up the day after tomorrow. Just because I know I'll go blank when I start trying to explain my situation, I'm going to prepare a very detailed "testimony" about where I'm at, where I've been, and where I want to be, and read it off to him. Has anyone had any experience doing that? Do they generally care if you do something like that? Anything in particular I should be sure to write down?

I've never had that experience, but I had a talk with a pastor once about some questions I had. I rehearsed the question so I'd remember them, but I didn't take a paper with me or any materials.

He had answers for everything, and it wasn't long before I was an atheist. Go figure.

• Super Moderator

Show the shrink the other long thread you had here. It contains everything he'll need to know.

Guest Perfect Insanity

I've never had that experience, but I had a talk with a pastor once about some questions I had. I rehearsed the question so I'd remember them, but I didn't take a paper with me or any materials.

He had answers for everything, and it wasn't long before I was an atheist. Go figure.

I'll go blank and not know what to say, so I probably need to put everything on paper and read it to him. Otherwise, I'll forget what to say and how to say it. If I write it down in the form of a journal entry, I'll be able to put down everything I need to say, and I'll have it written down in the tone that it needs to be said in, whether that's angry, confused, or something else. If I don't, that anger that he needs to be able to see won't be gotten across if I'm just trying to think of what to say and how to say it in the short time that I've got to talk to him.

Show the shrink the other long thread you had here. It contains everything he'll need to know.

Yeah, but I doubt he'll want to read through 70-something pages just to get bits and pieces of everything I've been saying over the span of months.

I think that's a fine idea. Any way you need to relate yourself to the shrink, he will accept, if he's any good at what he does at all. Go for it.

I think that's a fine idea. Any way you need to relate yourself to the shrink, he will accept, if he's any good at what he does at all. Go for it.

Absolutely.

Guest Perfect Insanity

I'll come back with an update tomorrow.

On another note, about beliefs, I had a question come to my mind earlier. Is it possible to not be a Christian (or a member of any other mainstream organized religion) and also at the same time not accept the idea of macroevolution?