Goodbye Jesus

Were You Ever A Christian?

prove_17

According to the bible, the only way to become a Christian is:

Act 2:37 Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prove_17

• Ancey

• Shyone

• Antlerman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No- I'm just lying about it.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Yes, I was a Real Christian™! Were you? You have proof the story of the talking snake is true? Proof of Moses or of Jesus? Proof of Iesus as God's son? Any proof Iesus was a carpenter? Got a wooden plate of his?

I vote to move this post to the Lion's Den.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I agree, lion's den is the place for this.

Was I ever a christian? Yeah, but the sites name should've given that away.

*sniffs air*

I smell... possible troll?

Two posts and suspiciously annoying near-proselytizing, bible-quotes and oddly generic username complete with numbers?

Well, I was certainly baptized (there's photographic proof), I took communion, believed Jesus was the son of God, was eventually confirmed, was in the youth Choir for a while... (the only reason I left it was because I thought it was too childish in material, not serious at all)

But of course, you already say in your profile you're the only true Christian you know. Look around here, you'll find people who used to be fundamentalists, creationists, and clergy! While I certainly wasn't any of that (Thank Optimus Prime!), I had all the characteristics of a moderate Christian for quite a while...

Funny, Paul seems to disagree with Peter. Paul says it's faith, not repentence and baptism. How can this be?

Righteousness Through Faith

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. 29Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

Romans 3:21-31.

I was never baptized, but I wasn't a "true christian" for lack of trying. Thank the Goddess I realized it was an empty faith before I made an oath to a god who didn't listen/isn't there.

And if you're a troll, kiss my heathen ass.

According to this criterion, definitely yes. So what else do you want to know?

So you say ... According to the bible, the only way to become a Christian is:

(Then YOUR cherry picked verses)

... I guess the other 38,000 odd demoninations of christians would ALL totally agree with you on what is a christian (sarcasm here just so you get it!) .... and guess what? They ALL like you pick and choose what THEY want out of the exact same mythological book!

And as to whether I was ever a christian? By YOUR definition I was ... but would LIKE to be able to say I was not! I am now too embarrased to admit I was once ever that capable of being so misled and stupid! But I guess too I once believed in Santa! Two absolutely IDENTICAL comparisons just so it might help you grasp how many of us ex-christians have come to realise the stupidity of what we once believed!

But wait for it ... I await and prophesize your rely ... "you will one day find out the truth! You will have all eternity to regret your decision!" Do not worry ... your mythological "old white" "male" human made "christian" god with a white fluffy beard who lives in the clouds has the same hold over me now as santa!

Act 2:37 Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Yes. Did that.

And I spoke in tongues, and I still do.

How about you? Did you sacrifice your life, belongings, time, and everything for church? Did you go on mission trips to foreign countries, on your own dime?

Well, I did, and much more.

But of course, I wasn't your kind of Christian. Only your kind of Christian is the true Christian, and all other Christians are just false Christians. Only you got the "Truth," everyone else is just a lying bastard.

Yes. Did that.

And I spoke in tongues, and I still do.

How about you? Did you sacrifice your life, belongings, time, and everything for church? Did you go on mission trips to foreign countries, on your own dime?

Well, I did, and much more.

But of course, I wasn't your kind of Christian. Only your kind of Christian is the true Christian, and all other Christians are just false Christians. Only you got the "Truth," everyone else is just a lying bastard.

.... arhhhh! but there was YOUR real problem Ouroboros! "Your" breed of christianity was NOT the correct one! I was taught the truth! Speaking in tongues was of the devil and an absolute no no with "true" christians! :HaHa:

According to da babble, the earth is flat.

You lose.

Funny, Paul seems to disagree with Peter. Paul says it's faith, not repentence and baptism. How can this be?

Righteousness Through Faith

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. 29Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

Romans 3:21-31.

There's no contradiction, just two different subjects being discussed. Paul is telling the Jews not to put their trust in the LAW(Old Testament given to Moses) which he begins to deal with in chapter 2:17

Rom 2:17¶Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God
While Peter is telling them what they needed to do to become a Christian.

By the way, faith and repentance go hand in hand. Jesus said:

Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

While Peter says:

Notice further down in Acts 2

Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added [unto them] about three thousand souls.
You repent(obey God) because you believe.

How about you? Did you sacrifice your life, belongings, time, and everything for church?

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

A neutron walks in to a bar and asks the bartender, "How much for a beer?" The bartender replies, "There is no charge for you."

Was this man baptised?

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"

43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:39-43.

Do unbaptised babies who die go to hell? They must since only christians go to heaven and, according to you, baptism is essential for becoming a christian. And if you don't believe unbaptised babies go to hell, then it must be the case that baptism is not essential for everyone to become a christian and thus escape hell.

I did the 5 step program:

Hear

Believe

Repent

Confess

Baptized

I was 9 but I did it. I stopped believing when I was 16 so maybe because I was a kid it didn't count. I don't care either way.

It's not possible for anyone to be a True Christian, because the entire religion is based on a very critical false pretense: that the bible is the word of God; when, in fact, it is the word of men. There are people who believe it's the word of God and believe themselves to be true Christians, but simply believing in something doesn't make it so, as demonstrated by some of the patients in psychiatric hospitals and wards all over the world.

Was this man baptised?

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"

43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." Luke 23:39-43.

He was not. Nevertheless, the bible doesn't leave us clueless on this subject: According to this passage, Jesus had the authority to forgive the "Thief of the cross" as he is known by, of his sins:

Mat 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Do unbaptised babies who die go to hell? They must since only christians go to heaven and, according to you, baptism is essential for becoming a christian. And if you don't believe unbaptised babies go to hell, then it must be the case that baptism is not essential for everyone to become a christian and thus escape hell.

The bible doesn't say where babies go so how can I?

Guest Valk0010

Were you ever a christian yes.

Every bit of my beliefs at the time, adhered to the Nicene creed, which declared what you are supposed to believe about Jesus, and the rest of the trinity.

Now I don't.

goD is what puppies become to dyslexic folk :wicked:

[quote name='prove_17' The bible doesn't say where babies go so how can I?

.. so you are saying your god did such a piss poor job of insipiring his word he forgot something as important as this!! Babies who will simply be "fried" for eternity purely because their parents got lustful and had sex?? Does that not give you a clue ... or are you just too thick to see the bleeding obvious!

And "prove_17" ... I see just like the bable verses you are "cherry picking" to feed us here .... you are also "cherry picking" which posters you "attempt" to answer!

I had the great misfortune of being Christian.