Goodbye Jesus

Age of Accountability?

Asimov

I can tell you that you will not find anything to do with the age of accountability in the bible.  Absolutely does not exist in the bible.  It is a modern day christian assumption that keeps people from seeing God as an ogre.  I mean, it's cool to send adults to eternal torture, but not little kids.

Precisely. Time and time again, it does keep people from seeing the God who is there in the Old Testament.

It's probably just as well.  If the bible had said that the age was 16, bonzai thumper parents would have killed all their kids at 15 1/2 to insure them a place setting at the great feast in the sky.

I've read of numerous occasions when less than optimally educated parents have been known to do exactly that, kill their children while they were young so the little ones wouldn't go to hell. Evidently, it never occurred to those parents to question their belief system and the object of their worship.

His mercy endures forever. Suffer the little children to come to me.

Bullshit.

In the book of Joshua, we see a dude named Achan who got sticky fingers during the wiping out of Jericho.

Achan saw a nice robe and some silver that he couldn't resist taking.

So, what does our loving God do? Orders him to be stoned to death. But wait, not just Achan. His wife, his sons, his daughters, his sheep, his donkeys, his cattle. Stone em all. Then burn em. God's orders.

Christians read this, and they just move on to the next verse. But stop and think a minute. Achan's kids. How old were they? Perhaps a three year old girl. A five year old boy. An eight year old boy.

Picture them as the tribe of Israelites circled around them with their hands full of rocks. The kids crying and screaming in terror. The rocks reigning down on them, as they hit them in the head and torso. The parents trying to shelter the kids as a torrent of rocks reigned down on them, tearing them apart and shattering their bones and their skulls. All at the direction of our great and merciful LORD.

Hate to be this graphic, but that's the scene. That's how much God cares for little kids. Since God doesn't change, I have to assume kids go to hell too.

That is, if God were real. It's a much more sane, humane world to believe he's not.

Forgive me TAP, but I see this as the common cop-out.

I'm sure you do. I'm not afraid to say "I don't know".

My guess: If Christians today were stoning their rebellious sons, as commanded in the bible, you would be protesting loudly.  Yet, because it supposedly happened a few thousand years ago, as commanded in the bible, you excuse it as the act of a sovereign God.

I didn't excuse anything. I gave you the Biblical perspective.

I submit to you that you don't really believe it happened.  If you did believe it, it would most likely go against everything you hold sacred, specifically, life.

I admit that I can't comprehend that it happened.

TAP, do you really believe in, love.......
Yes, Bob. More than I care to sometimes.

.....and worship a God who displays such cruel disregard for human life?
That is not my understanding of the God I worship.

......Is that your God?  Please answer yes.  You have to, if bible God is your God.

Good question.

BTW, how have you been? :)
I've been better but I'm hanging in there. How are you? it's been a long time. :)

Back to work I go.

Forgive me TAP, but I see this as the common cop-out.

I'm sure you do. I'm not afraid to say "I don't know".

Why don't you know? You have all the information you need at your fingertips (Holy Bible)
My guess: If Christians today were stoning their rebellious sons, as commanded in the bible, you would be protesting loudly.  Yet, because it supposedly happened a few thousand years ago, as commanded in the bible, you excuse it as the act of a sovereign God.

I didn't excuse anything. I gave you the Biblical perspective.

Do you not agree with that perspective? If, as you say, the bible teaches that God is sovereign, and you agree with that, and are overjoyed with the prospect of spending eternity with the "sovereign God", then the bibles perspective should also be yours...?
I submit to you that you don't really believe it happened.  If you did believe it, it would most likely go against everything you hold sacred, specifically, life.

I admit that I can't comprehend that it happened.

What does that mean? I can "comprehend" the cruelty that one group of humans inflicts on other humans. We hear about it daily. How would you feel if, today, the God of the bible came down and hovered over Iraq and began shooting lightning bolts at US Soldiers, displaying his obvious disdain for them by killing them. How would you feel about your God then, if he began doing today, what he supposedly did in the past?

The act of cruelty is easy to comprehend. Understanding why someone could be cruel though, is another aspect.

TAP, do you really believe in, love,...

Yes, Bob. More than I care to sometimes.

?
and worship a God who displays such cruel disregard for human life

That is not my understanding of the God I worship.

Then, I would have to assume that you can easily ignore the many atrocities in the bible...or...you do not consider them to be atrocities...?
BTW, how have you been?

I've been better but I'm hanging in there. How are you? it's been a long time.

PM me and tell me all about it. It has been a long time.

I feel ill- literally.  That made me want to alternately cry and vomit.  I wonder how many 3 year old girls were married off and forced to have intercourse.  I guess in the OT passage where Moses commands the Israelites to keep all the virgins for themselves, that they really did take even the small female children as wives.  I'm sure this all stems back to the patriarchal assholeness and their obsession with women being virgins.  Heaven forbid a MAN should be denied the opportunity to stick his flag in his posession first and effectively brand her like some kind of cattle.

Yuck.

That has to be some sort of translation error -- that is disgusting.

Do we have any Jews on board to defend that?

His mercy endures forever.  Suffer the little children to come to me. 

Bullshit.

In the book of Joshua, we see a dude named Achan who got sticky fingers during the wiping out of Jericho.

Achan saw a nice robe and some silver that he couldn't resist taking.

So, what does our loving God do?  Orders him to be stoned to death.  But wait, not just Achan.  His wife, his sons, his daughters, his sheep, his donkeys, his cattle.  Stone em all.  Then burn em.  God's orders.

Christians read this, and they just move on to the next verse.  But stop and think a minute.  Achan's kids.  How old were they?  Perhaps a three year old girl.  A five year old boy.  An eight year old boy.

Picture them as the tribe of Israelites circled around them with their hands full of rocks.  The kids crying and screaming in terror.  The rocks reigning down on them, as they hit them in the head and torso.  The parents trying to shelter the kids as a torrent of rocks reigned down on them, tearing them apart and shattering their bones and their skulls.  All at the direction of our great and merciful LORD.

Hate to be this graphic, but that's the scene.  That's how much God cares for little kids.  Since God doesn't change, I have to assume kids go to hell too.

That is, if God were real.  It's a much more sane, humane world to believe he's not.

Worth reposting.

The apologist will surely say that the kids were destined for evil and would have eventually done something that God couldn't handle. Just like those evil fetuses that were wiped out by the flood and the Amalekite slaughter. :Doh:

I contend that IF God does exist, and if this life is a test, the number one question He will ask is "Do you believe I did all of those things told of Me in the Bible?"

Worth reposting.

The apologist will surely say that the kids were destined for evil and would have eventually done something that God couldn't handle. 

To which the obvious reply would be: Why did he create them to begin with?

Then, I would have to assume that you can easily ignore the many atrocities in the bible...or...you do not consider them to be atrocities...?

PM me and tell me all about it.  It has been a long time.

I have not one thing to say about it, Bob. How sad is that?

I'll PM you on the other.

Goes right along with Moses command to keep the "women children" for themselves though.  Moses got pissed at Josh for not killing the women and children and told him to do in the BOYS and women who have known men, but keep those precious virgins for yourselves.  Now that, is just as "yuck", cold and evil as the Talmud.

I just wonder if 3 is supposed to be 13?

Isn't 13 (or 12) make you an adult in Judaism?

I mean anyone who can get it up for a 3 year old needs mental help.

:twitch:

I just wonder if 3 is supposed to be 13?

Isn't 13 (or 12) make you an adult in Judaism?

I mean anyone who can get it up for a 3 year old needs mental help.

:twitch:

Shit, anyone who can get it up for a 13 year old needs mental help. I'm with you, though Gerbil. Three years old just cannot be right.

Maybe it means that your parents can lawfully betroth you to another at 3 yrs old. Girl child "intended" towards another boy child. I don't imagine actual intercourse would take place until puberty.

I've known girls who had been betrothed to an other from the moment of their birth. Doesn't mean they were having sex with them at age 2+, or even that they were married, it just meant that there was an agreement made between both families that their children would be intended towards each other, someday.

Shit, anyone who can get it up for a 13 year old needs mental help.  I'm with you, though Gerbil.  Three years old just cannot be right.

Ummm....*gets mental help*.