Goodbye Jesus

Missionaries and Hell

Guest questioner4

Guest questioner4

What's really sad about this whole missionary deal, is that these missionaries sincerely feel that they are a doing a noble act of 'spreading the Word of God' to those who may have never heard of Christianity. Why is that? I guess they fear that these people would go to hell if they've never even heard of Christianity.

Now, if the Christian God is supposed to be all loving and all merciful, than why would he send those people to hell? It's not their fault that they've never heard of Christianity. I suppose, if pressed, these missionaries would say something like, 'Well, we don't really know if they would go to heaven or hell - but we should still witness to them, just to be safe.' I think very few would outrightly say, 'Yes, they would most definitely go to hell!' The same would most likely also be said of infants, small children, and mentally disabled people. It would either be a case of 'we really don't know' or 'God judges the heart'. Although, some do come up with the 'age of accountability' thing for infants and small children.

I bet many Christians do feel, deep down inside, that if there is one thing they could change about the Christian religion - it would be the concept of hell. I suppose many would be afraid to admit that, though. I would assume that most Christians really don't like the hell concept - but that they feel they have to accept that concept. Know what I mean?

I think very few would outrightly say, 'Yes, they would most definitely go to hell!'

Every church I ever attended would definately say that outright. That includes Nazarene, Baptist, Ass of god, and a few non denoms.

I struggled with this question myself and it greatly influenced my slide toward deconversion.

Good post questioner

There is one anti-evangelical story, perhaps members are already familiar:

It was the Artic Circle where a missionary was evangelizing to a native: about Jesus, only path to salvation, heaven, hell…

Native, “Tell me Reverend. If a person never heard of your Jesus and nevertheless lived a decent life, would he go to Hell?”

“No.”

Native, “If a person heard about Jesus and decided not to believe, then he goes to Hell?”

“Yes.”

Native, “Sigh.....Reverend, then why are you preaching to me about Jesus?”