Goodbye Jesus

How soon is "soon?"

Lizard

Prompted from another discussion elsewhere..just how "soon" is soon?

Rev. 22:7 Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.

Rev. 22:12 Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.

Rev. 22:20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”

Well, if I myself were to write the word SOON, I would certainly imply it to mean "in MY lifetime."

OOOPS! Guess there was an error on the part of the writer..... :HaHa:

Perhaps it's on dial-up.

:lmao:

Or "Snail Mail" and it got lost in the loop of the system somewhere? :HaHa:

Perhaps it's on dial-up.

doo do do do ... screeeeeech!

Fundy kid: Is that the trumpet of the angels, mommy?

Mom: No sweetie, it's just god using AOL.

*Lightning and thunder crash*

Dad: Must be time to reboot the system.

:lol:

Maybe he tried to come back but the US border patrols thought he was a terrorist (you know being arab, beard and all) and he's presently rotting in Guantanamo bay with other presumed terrorists. :grin:

It's later than "very soon" and before "later".

My guess is "soon" is about 5 trillion years (+/- a few thousand), that way we know we can't possibly live in the end times.

My guess is that it's whenever someone figures out the Ultimate Question. We already know that the Ultimate Answer is 42.

I just bought a DVD called "The God Who Wasn't There"..

In the DVD, they do an interview with a guy who has a website concerning the rapture. Sorry, but I spaced the name of the website.

Anyway, Christians sign up and this guy automatically sends relatives an email to these Christian's relatives after the rapture telling em where their loved ones went so that they too will repent. Then he goes on to say that major airlines have a policy that there must not be two pilots who are believers together flying an airliner, just in case the rapture comes and leaves no one to fly the plane.

Then they interviewed several other christians, and every single one of em is sure that Jesus is coming back in their lifetimes. They read that Jesus is coming soon in the bible, and they all think "SOON" as it relates to them. Just like christians have been doing for 2,000 years.

And, I've seen bumper stickers that say "If the rapture occurs, this vehicle will be unoccupied." What a dumbass thing to be preoccupied with.

That bible is a freakin masterpiece of manipulation of the human mind.

I guess you could probably find the answer in the Left Behind books.

If you can get past the stilted, preachy prose and the one-dimensional characters. I still don't understand why those books are so popular. Are there really that many Christians whose taste in reading is that bad?

I guess you could probably find the answer in the Left Behind books.

If you can get past the stilted, preachy prose and the one-dimensional characters. I still don't understand why those books are so popular. Are there really that many Christians whose taste in reading is that bad?

Nah..the answer is not there. I've read them all, and most of the youth books too. Also, I've seen both movies. It doesn't answer the question.

2000 years is not "soon" by anyone's stretch of imagination, making this either a fulfilled prophecy..or a false prophecy..

I tend to think they are all false anyway..but it amazes me that people believe "the end is near! see the signs everywhere!!" Goes along with "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

The tired responses from the christians don't work either.."A day is like a thousand years..blah blah blah.."

A dear friend did point out though..that the prophecies were not written for God, but for man..therefore that doesn't work..

Guest JP1283
In the DVD, they do an interview with a guy who has a website concerning the rapture.  Sorry, but I spaced the name of the website.

Anyway, Christians sign up and this guy automatically sends relatives an email to these Christian's relatives after the rapture telling em where their loved ones went so that they too will repent.  Then he goes on to say that major airlines have a policy that there must not be two pilots who are believers together flying an airliner, just in case the rapture comes and leaves no one to fly the plane.

Ah, Raptureletters.com. They did an interview with that guy on the Daily Show and it was freakin hilarious...he was like, "All the prophecies are coming true!" When asked what they were, he thought for a minute and said that they must have slipped his mind! LOL...as far as that whole airplane urban legend goes, they covered that already at Snopes.com.

BTW, Hello everyone!

JP

BTW, Hello everyone!

JP

Hi JP! Welcome back!

Rev. 22:7 Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.

Rev. 22:12 Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.

Rev. 22:20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”

If 2,000+ years is considered "soon", I really wonder what a long time equates to.

If 2,000+ years is considered "soon", I really wonder what a long time equates to.

Eternity is going to be really loooong..and consider, if a day is like a thousand years, etc..will the millenial rain be only a day?

(misspelled on purpose..)

Ah, the Bible has an experation date.

What's the Standard Apologist Answer to cove up the stale smell?

Merlin

Aaahh, come on, Merlin.....according to Lizard (and the Bible) it's only been two days! Hardly stale.

;)

Aaahh, come on, Merlin.....according to Lizard (and the Bible) it's only been two days! Hardly stale.

;)

You know, this makes me think of a wonderful little animation I saw in Cosmos... it layed out the history of the universe on a 12-month calander. All 14 billion years of it... truly an amazing sight. Add in Carl Sagan to walk you through it and it was truly pure magic. He's giving a quick summary of the events - galaxies form around May, planets in mid-augest, etc.

Then you get to the last three minutes before New Years Day. The whole of human existance... contained in that short timeframe. It's really a stunning sight because the calander is layed out on the floor - and it's huge - while the human existance... our whole history, all the people we've met or heard about, all the places we've been, all the things we've experienced, everything we are in... is in a little 2' x 2' square in the corner.

Looking at that depiction, it hit me once more how utterly, impossibly, inescapably vast the universe we live in truly is... for all intents and purposes eternal - there's a time scale humans can't possibly grasp or infinity, little practical difference between the two - and how truly ironic it is that the supreme being would take something so majestic and say 'the only people that matter in it are the people that like me.'

"All the darkness in the world cannot put out a single star."

Merlin

Tomorrow. Yep. Absolutely.

You mark my words.

Tomorrow.

Or maybe the day after tomorrow. But no later than that, you mark my word.

Maybe he tried to come back but the US border patrols thought he was a terrorist (you know being arab, beard and all) and he's presently rotting in Guantanamo bay with other presumed terrorists.  :grin:

:lmao: Ha..had he tried to get through our borders, he'd already be here..hmm..perhaps he's over there at 1536 with BC?

You know, this makes me think of a wonderful little animation I saw in Cosmos... it layed out the history of the universe on a 12-month calander. All 14 billion years of it... truly an amazing sight. Add in Carl Sagan to walk you through it and it was truly pure magic. He's giving a quick summary of the events - galaxies form around May,  planets in mid-augest, etc.

Then you get to the last three minutes before New Years Day. The whole of human existance... contained in that short timeframe. It's really a stunning sight because the calander is layed out on the floor - and it's huge - while the human existance... our whole history, all the people we've met or heard about, all the places we've been, all the things we've experienced, everything we are in... is in a little 2' x 2' square in the corner.

Merlin

Merlin, I saw that too! It is awesome to think about. And..I love Carl Sagan..I can't say "billions" without overstressing the "b"..

That little tiny white dot..that is us..

;)

Not according to me, TAP..time is what it is..regardless of our "perception" of same.

Yesterday seemed to fly by..does that mean time sped up? I hardly think so. Other days, it seems to crawl..its all about perception.

This particular brand of Christianity, the "waiting" for the return, seems acutely absurd though. I definately bought into it some years back..convinced that at any moment I would go "flying away"..

Beyond the absurd though..it leaves one to think this world doesn't matter. Why should we take care of "here" when its all going to be destroyed anyway? New heaven/new earth..

The thing is..this ball of rock is all we have, and all our children and grandchildren have. What are we leaving them? Unless we advance greatly and can leave here...there won't be a world for them.

I don't think we are going to blow ourselves up. I'm an optimist. But, I do think we should be striving for world peace rather than conquering and mucking up everyone else's lives. And its those thoughts that drive the rapturists nuts..because world peace means the end. It means the antichrist has finally come.

So, how to hold off the antichrist? Make war. Lots of it. As long as there is no world peace..there will be no end..

Actually most bible prophecies have already been fulfilled - really. However it's because the majority of them were written after the fact and worded as though it were said before them, viz., The Book of Daniel.

The prophecies of the NT are simply a case of mistaken identity. Whoever Jesus was, if there was a real Jesus, is not the Jesus of the Bible. That Jesus is a case of mistaken identity, so to speak - but much more realistically, a fabricated identity. The promise of his imminent return likely was “fulfilled” somehow already around that time, but was so unremarkable as to go unnoticed, just as every single alleged event of the life the "real" Jesus was by every single historian who existed during his alleged lifetime (save of course for the uncanny foreshadowing prophesied in great detail in Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey). He came, he went, he returned, and no one noticed.

Look to the past my friends, it's already happened and we're all on our own now! Be ye free o' slaves of the Bible!

Hi,

http://www.raptureready.com/rap16.html

Read the one dated Sep 26 if the time you read this post the raptureready.com commentary article is archived. Scroll down a bit reaching "Will we see Christ's return?"

After I read this thread and the posts, I visited raptureready.com and it happened the writer had one article last week about 'soon'.

J. Michael Hile was saying 'generation' be counted as 70-80 years, i.e. 2018~2028 that Jesus will come. However, if after 2028 Jesus did not come, they will explain it away.

Like it, agree with it or not, FYI.

-----

What coincidence again!?

I just read about 'The tomb of Odysseus has been found' like five minutes ago:

http://maderatribune.1871dev.com/news/newsview.asp?c=167178

Scotter