Goodbye Jesus

Former Christian Friend Became An Atheist/satanist

Guest Justyna

Guest Justyna

So I find my old friend from like 10 years ago on facebook this past week. We start talking and even though he was raised in a Christian family, he no longer believes. Its not just that he doesnt believe...he is strongly against Christianity now. I am not sure what happened to him, cause I just started talking to him again. I really care about him and glad he is in my life but he is now in a band whose sole purpose is to bring down Christianity. I am not sure if he is a satanist or not...but it sounds like it. To me a satanist is anyone who is strongly against Jesus (and this guy is). His lyrics are very much anti-christian and the whole purpose of the band is to be against God. When he and I were friends, his faith was sort of rocy back then, but I never thought it would turn to this. I want to be his friend and I want to even see his band play because I care about him, but I dont understand this hate. I mean its one thing if people want to leave Christianity, but I dont understand the hate and anger and passion to try to say mean things about it. I dont want to judge my friend cause I dont know all that happened. I see his anti-christian posts on FB and he sees my pro-christian posts on my status. Its kind of weird...yet we still talk and exchange messages. I hope he and I can be friends, hes a really awesome guy, but I dont know how close we can be considering our contradicting views. I got in contact with his mom, and she used to be a very very strong Christian...now she doesnt believe anymore. Its so weird. How can I still be friends with both of them without letting my fatih or their lack of faith get in the way? I do care about them both, their whole family actually. This was news to me. Oh and by the way...to all of your guys suprise, I DID NOT preach to them about God or anything yet. I really have no intention at this point. I just want to be a good friend.

So I find my old friend from like 10 years ago on facebook this past week. We start talking and even though he was raised in a Christian family, he no longer believes. Its not just that he doesnt believe...he is strongly against Christianity now. I am not sure what happened to him, cause I just started talking to him again. I really care about him and glad he is in my life but he is now in a band whose sole purpose is to bring down Christianity. I am not sure if he is a satanist or not...but it sounds like it. To me a satanist is anyone who is strongly against Jesus (and this guy is). His lyrics are very much anti-christian and the whole purpose of the band is to be against God. When he and I were friends, his faith was sort of rocy back then, but I never thought it would turn to this. I want to be his friend and I want to even see his band play because I care about him, but I dont understand this hate. I mean its one thing if people want to leave Christianity, but I dont understand the hate and anger and passion to try to say mean things about it. I dont want to judge my friend cause I dont know all that happened. I see his anti-christian posts on FB and he sees my pro-christian posts on my status. Its kind of weird...yet we still talk and exchange messages. I hope he and I can be friends, hes a really awesome guy, but I dont know how close we can be considering our contradicting views. I got in contact with his mom, and she used to be a very very strong Christian...now she doesnt believe anymore. Its so weird. How can I still be friends with both of them without letting my fatih or their lack of faith get in the way? I do care about them both, their whole family actually. This was news to me. Oh and by the way...to all of your guys suprise, I DID NOT preach to them about God or anything yet. I really have no intention at this point. I just want to be a good friend.

Well, concentrate on what you have in common - a belief in nonexistent beings.

Realistically, you can be friends with anyone, but sometimes you have to leave your ego and prejudices at the door. What's that saying, don't discuss religion or politics in polite company?

• Like 1

Did he become an atheist or a satanist? I find them a bit mutually exclusive. It's like becoming an atheist and a Muslim. :scratch:

Besides, I'm not sure what kind of advice we can offer here.

If you want to be his friend, you better listen to what he has to say instead of just flat out reject him, his unbelief, and his arguments. Perhaps you need to step up and start using your natural ears instead of your "brain audible" ears.

I hope he's not a Satanist. They are equally or more deluded than Christians in my opinion.

Yeah, and if his band has a website, send us a link.58.gif

I hope he's not a Satanist. They are equally or more deluded than Christians in my opinion.

What Legion said.

'Marilyn Manson' was going to bring down Xtianity - I could count the number of people who give two shits about what he has to say about ANYTHING on one hand. I wouldn't worry about it.

I DID NOT preach to them about God or anything yet. I really have no intention at this point.

So why can't you try that approach here?

Guest Justyna

Well its weird...cause I think if he spends sooooo much of his time trying to be against God and calling God a liar and evil (some of his lyrics do that) then its like he is admitting that he does believe in God. Yet on his info it says he is an atheist. It does not say "satanist" but again, the fact that he hates Jesus so much means he is anit-christ...which sort of means its from the enemy. If you are not for Jesus, you are pretty much for satan. Thats how I see it.

I have been on here for a little while, and a lot of people here have told me that I dont listen, and that I dont understand etc. Well now that I have my old friend in my life, its sort of an opportunity to understand where he is coming from and perhaps better understand atheists/ex-christians. I dont know. Hopefully something good will come out of this. I think God is doing something in my life, I want to learn, I dont want to judge and I dont want to reject him. Hes totally awesome..but I am sure along the way something must have happened to make him like this. I cant imagine that he has peace if all day he and his bandmates write songs about how awful God is. My heart goes out to him. I want to know what happened to him to make him that way, but I dont want to force it.

I kind of feel led to minister to ex-christians. I know you guys are like "what!" cause you say I suck at it, but maybe this is my chance to get better at it and try to hear his side of the story. I never said I was perfect, far from it..I want this to better me as a person.

• Super Moderator

You could try an exorcism on him. Maybe an exorcism with a happy ending.

Leave people alone to be who they are Justyna - get life girl

I never said I was perfect, far from it..I want this to better me as a person.

Well that I can respect.

You could try an exorcism on him. Maybe an exorcism with a happy ending.

Every time I read any of your posts, I hear the words in Hugh Laurie's voice (with the American accent of course). Hehe, I guess your House pic is screwing with my head. I love the house quotes, too.

Justyna, this might be a good opportunity for you if you really listen and honestly consider what he has to say. See if his arguments have any merit. Even if you do not agree, at least your concept of atheists might become more realistic. Of course, we're not all full of rage, so keep in mind we are all individuals. You should refer him to this site.

Well its weird...cause I think if he spends sooooo much of his time trying to be against God and calling God a liar and evil (some of his lyrics do that) then its like he is admitting that he does believe in God. Yet on his info it says he is an atheist. It does not say "satanist" but again, the fact that he hates Jesus so much means he is anit-christ...which sort of means its from the enemy. If you are not for Jesus, you are pretty much for satan. Thats how I see it.

I have been on here for a little while, and a lot of people here have told me that I dont listen, and that I dont understand etc. Well now that I have my old friend in my life, its sort of an opportunity to understand where he is coming from and perhaps better understand atheists/ex-christians. I dont know. Hopefully something good will come out of this. I think God is doing something in my life, I want to learn, I dont want to judge and I dont want to reject him. Hes totally awesome..but I am sure along the way something must have happened to make him like this. I cant imagine that he has peace if all day he and his bandmates write songs about how awful God is. My heart goes out to him. I want to know what happened to him to make him that way, but I dont want to force it.

I kind of feel led to minister to ex-christians. I know you guys are like "what!" cause you say I suck at it, but maybe this is my chance to get better at it and try to hear his side of the story. I never said I was perfect, far from it..I want this to better me as a person.

First of all, atheism is not the same as Satanism, because Satanism is a religion. (And honestly, not trying to pass judgment on anyone here, it scares the crap out of me.) Based on what you have described, your friend could be mad at a god he genuinely believes in, or having a really tough de-conversion. Either way, you have to do the right thing (by Christian and humanist means) and show him good, non-judgmental friendship love.

I hope he settles into what's right for him, whether it's belief or non-belief. Good luck.

They suck. 'Lookee, we said the 'F' word! We MEAN it! We're scarry!' Weak.

Just sayin'.

Guest Justyna

Well the reason I am not "preaching" to him is because I learned from what I did here. Even though I didnt mean to preach to you guys, I guess I did. Also you guys are figures on a screen (no disrepect of course). But with my friend, it hits home cause I know him and spent time with him in real life etc. I just want to be his friend but am afraid he is not going to accept me cause I do believe in Him. I actually do accept him, and I have grown since being on this site. See..its not all for nothing. I can get better :)

I find the key to friendships between non-believers (like myself) and Christians (like almost my entire immediate and extended family) is to not talk about religion much. We still have plenty of other things in common, and when they do occasionally reference religion, I usually just let it go by without comment. It works out nicely.

With that said, you can absolutely ask him about the process of losing his faith, especially as it sounds like he's interested in making a lot of public statements about the matter. If someone I knew wanted to debate religion with me, I would not be pleased. It sounds like he might be, though, as long as that's only a small part of your relationship.

The very worst thing you could do, though, is make the kinds of assumptions you've already stated in this thread. Satanism is a very specific belief system that worships Satan either as a literal being or some sort of symbol of rebellion. I am a non-Christian and, by most definitions, an atheist; I am not a Satanist. This is key. Not a Satanist. The mindset that says that any non-Christian, and particularly any vocal non-Christian, is therefore a Satanist is both insulting and ridiculous. Never, ever say that to him if you want a good friendship going forward.

In general, if you really want to better understand and communicate with ex-Christians, it is best to avoid re-interpreting everything we say through the lense of evangelical theology and then telling us what we really are and/or think.

I'm not trying to be mean, here, or come down on you too hard. I'm glad you're not rejecting your friend because he no longer shares your belief system and I wish you both the best going forward. But you need to hear these things if you're going to have a real shot at keeping your friendship.

Well the reason I am not "preaching" to him is because I learned from what I did here. Even though I didnt mean to preach to you guys, I guess I did. Also you guys are figures on a screen (no disrepect of course). But with my friend, it hits home cause I know him and spent time with him in real life etc. I just want to be his friend but am afraid he is not going to accept me cause I do believe in Him. I actually do accept him, and I have grown since being on this site. See..its not all for nothing. I can get better :)

Thank you so much for coming to this realization and apologizing. That shows maturity and respect, which is all most of this community wants to see, from what I can surmise. Perhaps with your friend, you can make an agreement to not discuss religious topics, for sake of preserving the friendship. Compromise works wonders.

Guest Justyna

Fiddling Around..

Thanks for your advice..very helpful indeed. I see your point that not all atheists are satanists. That was what I sort of thought, but I know his soul and he is a very very nice and accepting open person. I really like him a lot as a person and have a ton of respect for him. I guess I am just going to keep God out of it, unless he wants to bring it up first. Then if he does, I will just love on him :)

If you are not for Jesus, you are pretty much for satan. Thats how I see it.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-Hamlet Act 1, scene 5

I noticed many years ago if you ignore a scab, it will eventually disappear.

If you are not for Jesus, you are pretty much for satan. Thats how I see it.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-Hamlet Act 1, scene 5

unless you are a closed minded fundy like Justyna

Fiddling Around..

Thanks for your advice..very helpful indeed. I see your point that not all atheists are satanists. That was what I sort of thought, but I know his soul and he is a very very nice and accepting open person. I really like him a lot as a person and have a ton of respect for him. I guess I am just going to keep God out of it, unless he wants to bring it up first. Then if he does, I will just love on him :)

Sounds like you're on the right track. :)

Oh, and having listened to his music, it's possible that the very angry lyrics have more to do with the conventions of the genre than his actual feelings. Though if his Facebook posts match up, he could just be in the angry phase. Nearly all of us go through it, and it can be hard to shake. :shrug: