Goodbye Jesus

I Just Came Out As Gay To My Sister

Neon Genesis

I just told my sister that I was gay over Facebook. She already knew I was an atheist and accepted me for who I was and I thought she would probably accept my sexuality too but she didn't know I was gay and I was still scared to tell her, but I finally worked up the courage to tell her. It was actually a very anticlimactic ending. ^^;; She was literally oh whatever. She mentioned one of her favorite radio show hosts, Stephanie Miller, recently came out as a lesbian and all her friends were ok with it. She also warned me to be careful with social networking sites and she promised not to tell anyone about it. I'm glad it turned out well but where's my dramatic ending?

I'd be happy to oblige: "OH MY GAWD! I can't believe it! All his time I've known you and you've just been living this disgusting lifestyle !? You're making Jesus cry!!! You're not the person I thought you were! You're going to singlehandedly ruin our country! I just can't get over the shock of it all!

Btw, hi Neon, I'm "brain" - nice to meet you. How'd I do? Was it everything you'd hoped for? ;-) :wicked:

• Like 1

But seriously - glad it went well!

Just be glad it went well. I don't know much about your situation, but considering that you're in TN... there will be plenty of drama at some point.

Guest I Love Dog

I'm glad it turned out well but where's my dramatic ending?

:grin:

What did you expect? What sort of drama?

I'm glad it turned out well for you. It should never be anything other than that. A person's sexuality or belief/non belief should never be an issue, neither should race or color.

Have a happy and rewarding life.

I wasn't expecting much drama from my sister since she's a liberal Christian and doesn't believe in hell or biblical inerrancy. I was just joking that I should have my own Lifetime movie about coming out of the closet where they always tell the exciting dramatic stories.

Tell the whole Church of Christ congregation. You know go to the front at the end of service and come out loud and proud. All the drama you could ever hope for :eek:

I am glad it went well with your sister. When you do come out more fully it should be easier to have someone who has your back and accepts you as you are <3.

I think, "Oh whatever" is the best response.

Tell the whole Church of Christ congregation. You know go to the front at the end of service and come out loud and proud. All the drama you could ever hope for

I almost want to pretend to be gay just to do this. But I've been out of church for so long that the reaction probably wouldn't quite be the same. Hell, who am I kidding, I won't even tell my family that I'm an atheist, but still its fun imagining the shock of the congregation.

Congrats, Neon! I'm glad you have support from your sister.

:)

Guest Babylonian Dream

I didn't technically "come out" on my own, it slipped through when I was going to my friends house, my mom found out. There was no way to lie, she knew he was gay, and I have a crush on him, so when she confronted me on it, I blushed. From there, she was very troubled, but when I got home, aside from not talking the whole night, and saying "gay" this and that, it really wasn't anything big. Now, i think she is in denial of the fact that yes I am gay. Though I obey no stereotypes of gay.

I don't think she believes me, that or she's in denial. Her reaction wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as I feared.

As the mother of a gay son I am so glad to hear that it was anti-climatic. That means that times are changing;)

Sounds like it couldn't have gone better then. Your sister see you as her brother, not just as an atheist or gay. That's awesome. My sister is the only relative I have I can spill my guts to about what I really believe. Is she older than you? Mine is, it's always the big sister.. I guess they love us unconditionally because they feel protective? Anywho... congratulations anti climactic is good.

Yes, my sister is two years older than me.

If your sister listens to Stephanie Miller, which I didn't know was a lesbian, then you should really have guessed she would have been cool with it.

Obviously I don't know your sister, but if you're in anyway close she probably already suspected it.

And I'm really glad it went so well :grin: I agree with Legion, "oh whatever" is a great response! Why should it be a big deal?

If your sister listens to Stephanie Miller, which I didn't know was a lesbian, then you should really have guessed she would have been cool with it.

My mother is for some reason a fan of Ellen yet she still believes gays are sinners trying to take away America's Judea-Christian values.

My mother is for some reason a fan of Ellen yet she still believes gays are sinners trying to take away America's Judea-Christian values.

Amazing how that works. I also know someone who watches her show yet she was disgusted when she found out one of her friends who is a guy was asked out by another guy.

I don't think she believes me, that or she's in denial. Her reaction wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as I feared.

*Chuckle* I can see it now: "It's just a phase he's going through! He'll get over it!"

If I'd been gay my Mom probably would have reacted that way. She had a way of disassociating from anything remotely confusing to her.

You are probably too young to remember the 1960's pianist, Liberace, who looked and acted about as gay as humanly possible but because he was very affable and talented and entertaining, Christians and conservatives everywhere were willing to dismiss his elaborate, effeminate costumes, makeup, etc as some sort of performer's affectation.

Christians have this device called a "rationalizer" that gets lots of exercise working overtime day and night. They are not above using it to make exceptions to their stringent rules when they want to be entertained or what have you. How many Christians, for example, boycott Anderson Cooper's news program? It's not just Ellen; there are countless examples of Christians looking the other way when it suits them. It shows they are capable of "tolerance" and makes them all the guiltier for their intolerance.

You are probably too young to remember the 1960's pianist, Liberace, who looked and acted about as gay as humanly possible but because he was very affable and talented and entertaining, Christians and conservatives everywhere were willing to dismiss his elaborate, effeminate costumes, makeup, etc as some sort of performer's affectation.

Christians have this device called a "rationalizer" that gets lots of exercise working overtime day and night. They are not above using it to make exceptions to their stringent rules when they want to be entertained or what have you. How many Christians, for example, boycott Anderson Cooper's news program? It's not just Ellen; there are countless examples of Christians looking the other way when it suits them. It shows they are capable of "tolerance" and makes them all the guiltier for their intolerance.

Wow, I remember that dude, even if just barely. As another example, didn't Elton John sing at Rush Limbaugh's last wedding?