Goodbye Jesus

Conversion Rates/Deconversion Rates

HadouKen24

I realize that it doesn't really prove anything directly, but I've noticed something.

I've spent some time on various religious discussion forums, talking with people about reliigion in real life, etc., and I've noticed far more intelligent people who have deconverted, than who have converted. Despite the fact that I spent most of my life in the church, associating with Christians, I've run into far more people who were once Christian and no longer are, than those who have converted to Christianity.

Why would this be if Christianity were the kind of religion that brings "peace beyond understanding" and completeness to the soul?

Interesting.

I wonder if there are any studies that show deconversion rates. I wonder if it is studied as much as coversion...

I bet Christianity is the religion that is losing adherents at the fastest rate. I wonder if they follow what they are deconverted to-- i.e. do they go to Islam? Wicca? Atheism?

I've heard the argument from Christians and Muslims alike, that their religion is the fastest growing, while I heard (I don't remember from where) that neither one of them is growing.

I wonder if there are any studies that show deconversion rates.  I wonder if it is studied as much as coversion...

It would be interesting to see such a study......but I'm betting the results would reflect on the ones conducting the study. A pro-religion study would end up showing a + religion bias, and vice versa. Whoever conducted the study, the results would be distrusted by the opposite camp......

I suppose it shouldn't matter much seeing as that's how it is with ANY study anyway.

It's also interesting to look at the stats for % of the population who are born-again christians in relation to educational level. High school dropouts are the largest percentage. The percentage is miniscule for individuals with doctorates.