Goodbye Jesus

People who type in G_d.

Asimov

People who type G_d instead of God are morons and should probably have javelins thrown at their reproductive organs to prevent spawning more morons who type G_d instead of God.

Why do they do this? Is it a sign of respect for their deity? Is it because the usage of vowels is tantamount to having oral sex with a goat, or is it just because they want to feel special about their belief so they put a spin on it. You know, hip it up a bit.

You don't see ancient greeks spelling Zeus' name Z__s. That's just stupid. You don't see Muslims spelling _ll_h...that looks really dumb. Same thing with J_s_s. It's just a name, people...it's not like the Christian God doesn't have 800 names, so grow a pair and type it out like you mean it.

Fucking jackasses.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asimov

• Fweethawt

• Ouroboros

• Totallyatpeace

As_m_v,

They do it from the same reasons that JHWH was invented, and Gods name was considered so mystical and powerful that you could not mention his name or even write it. And secondly, the old jewish alphabet didn't have vowels. So only consonants were written.

But that people do it today... the name God doesn't have any mystical power in itself, so it shouldn't matter to anyone.

H_ns_l_

I haven't seen this. Is it xtians doing it? Where are they doing it?

I thought the ger_il was playing hangman.

H_s_t_nt,

Actually it should be: M_dG_rb_l.

**edit**

Hangman! :grin:

Yeah, so should we ask him if the next character could be... "o"?

See if we win something!!!

H_s_t_nt,

Actually it should be: M_dG_rb_l.

**edit**

Hangman! :grin:

Yeah, so should we ask him if the next character could be... "o"?

See if we win something!!!

Hmmmm ~ a prize involving MG. I think I'd rather hang myself ;)

It obviously stems from Exodus 20:7 ("You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name" NIV). But besides being a petty command, it's being applied wrong. God is his entity type, not his name. When he said "put no other gods before me" did he just mean people/things named god, or did he mean other omnipotent beings?? Most Christians will tell you it means don't make anything else into a "god", since they no longer believe in other real gods like people used to. Therefore, it's a description, not his name.

Typing G_d is like typing l_rd, pr_s_d_nt, c_mm_nd_r, m_r_n, or chr_st.

It is logically flawed, and misplaced obedience.

Why do they do this? Is it a sign of respect for their deity?

I'm sure inv_lves fear _f eternal t_rment simply f_r putting the "O" in. After all, _ is _f evil and dem_nic _rigins, and can never be typed _r written. _h, wait. I guess that means I'm g_ing t_ Hell. Aaaaugh! (Runs away and hides under bed!)

:rolleyes:

I'm sure inv_lves fear _f eternal t_rment simply f_r putting the "O" in.  After all, _ is _f evil and dem_nic _rigins, and can never be typed _r written.  _h, wait.  I guess that means I'm g_ing t_ Hell.  Aaaaugh!  (Runs away and hides under bed!)

:rolleyes:

It's all about the O...

It is primarily a Jewish thing. I have seen super-spritual Christians do it though. They think they are being clever or... spiritual... LOL

Maybe it's a hyper-respect way of spelling it.

Kinda the opposite of when you spell it G'odd.

It's G-d, not G_d, unless it's on Wheel of Fortune LOL

Roots are in judaism.

Maybe it's an abbreviation... G-d.... God Damned

ooo felt like lightening was gonna strike when I typed that

I j_st ass_me th_t th_y suck m_ m_ther fucking big black cock.

Language is just a means of communicating, intent is what is negative or positive.

I j_st ass_me th_t th_y suck m_ m_ther fucking big black cock.

Language is just a means of communicating, intent is what is negative or positive.

How about language being misleading?

Eh Whitey?

Or even stretching the truth?

Eh Tiny?

:poke::P:lol:

It's G-d, not G_d, unless it's on Wheel of Fortune  LOL

Roots are in judaism. 

Maybe it's an abbreviation... G-d.... God Damned

That's stupid, its roots aren't in judaism. The judaist way of writing out God was to give Him a four letter representation of his name, known as tetragrammation. YHVH for instance is used in the Bible.

Dude, look it up. It is from Judaism. English speaking Jews.

Asimov,

If you started this thread because of Gerbil's way of spelling it out, I think I have an answer for you.

First of all, you must understand that MG is a misogynist, and the letter 'O' which obviously closely resembles a nipple (therefore reminding him about women), actually causes a discomfort for him whenever he sees it.

Since G_d is completely Holy and made of pure love, he simply has to take it upon himself to remove this "discomfort" from G'o'd.

It's quite simple, actually. :Doh:

Once you understand his mentality. :shrug:

Dude, look it up.  It is from Judaism.  English speaking Jews.

Ok, I believe you. Either way, my OP still stands...they're morons.

If you started this thread because of Gerbil's way of spelling it out, I think I have an answer for you.

mmmm....nipples.....

I'm waiting for an explanation from one of our resident Jews on this one.

I never "got it" either.

That's stupid, its roots aren't in judaism.  The judaist way of writing out God was to give Him a four letter representation of his name, known as tetragrammation.  YHVH for instance is used in the Bible. 

Yes, the roots are from Judaism. You are thinking of only one of the names of God - there are many.

To be extremely technical, the prohibition (explained below) only applies to the names of God as written in Hebrew (IIRC). However, the more machmir (strict) avoid writing it in any language in a mundane way.

To quote jewfaq:

Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God." In addition, the number 15, which would ordinarily be written in Hebrew as Yod-Heh (10-5), is normally written as Tet-Vav (9-6), because Yod-Heh is a Name.

I'm waiting for an explanation from one of our resident Jews on this one.

I never "got it" either.

I remember Mad G bustin out some explanation about how it's a sign of respect. How it's respectful to omit letters in your deities not actual name is kinda nonsensical.

Yes, the roots are from Judaism. You are thinking of only one of the names of God - there are many.

Ah yes...now I remember. Thanks deadhobbit. But God isn't a name, though....it's a title. It would be like calling me "Human". Same thing with Lord, and Adonais...They're titles.

I like Fwee's explanation better.... :HaHa:

It's just personal preference for what they feel is showing reverence. It doesn't hurt anyone.

I find it unnecessary but it's not a big deal.