Goodbye Jesus

Dare

Neon Genesis

Did anyone go through DARE brainwashing when they were in school? I remember having to go through it in elementary school and I remember we had to act out skits where one person is the drug addict and the other person is the concerned friend. I remember they always tried to scare us into believing everyone who smokes even the more harmless drugs like marijuana was always an evil person trying to seduce kids down a life of crime or they were a misguided rebellious teen who only changed their misguided ways after marijuana nearly killed them or caused them to be seriously hurt. There were never any normal good people who smoked cigarettes. They never had any scenarios where it was just normal everyday people because obviously normal everyday people must never smoke. When my great-grandma was still alive, she chewed tobacco and one time she asked me if I wanted one. I just politely declined the offer by saying no thank you and my great-grandma chuckled and said I didn't have to say no thank you and that it was probably better that I didn't get started into it and that was the end of it. My great-grandma was a normal kind person who never hurt anyone or got involved in any crime and she never tried to push me into chewing tobacco. It was the complete opposite of the way DARE tried to portray it. I have several family members who smoke cigarettes and they've never asked me if I wanted to try one and they actually go outside to smoke when we visit so they don't stink up everything when we're there. Did you ever go through DARE and what was your experience like with it and did you ever experience any of their negative stereotypes of people in real life?

The most exposure I had were some coloring books when I was in elementary school. I don't think any of the kids actually red them, just picked up some crayons and scribbled in them.

They didn't have dare when I was in jr. high or high school, but the sheriff's dept. did give us some colorful pamphlets about the dangers of drugs.

I saw them as catalogs.

@Neon - Sounds like you've been consuming a lot of those "harmless drugs" yourself. Got a paranoid fear of DARE? I don't really care about your predilection to drugs, and I still can't figure out what your diatribe has to do with EXchristian.net. Seems like that's the general theme here, not your addictions. I imagine that there are plenty of pro-drug sites, why don't you go find some. Thanks.... :jesus:

@Neon - Sounds like you've been consuming a lot of those "harmless drugs" yourself. Got a paranoid fear of DARE? I don't really care about your predilection to drugs, and I still can't figure out what your diatribe has to do with EXchristian.net. Seems like that's the general theme here, not your addictions. I imagine that there are plenty of pro-drug sites, why don't you go find some. Thanks.... :jesus:

"Here is where you have the opportunity to respond or comment on any of the articles and rants on ExChristian.Net, or add your own topic."

From the menu. Reading is your friend.

Got to be a joke. No one is that big a dick-head, are they?

Got to be a joke. No one is that big a dick-head, are they?

Maybe it's a dick-head making a joke.

P

Maybe Goathead is back?

Perhaps Neon was inferring that DARE utilizes the same demonizing tactics that xtians use.

I've never even used drugs, cigarettes or even drank alcohol. x.X

I think Neon Genesis is right to criticize dare. That doesn't mean he's a crackhead. When the anti-drug movement feeds our kids a bunch of silly unrealistic propaganda, they destroy their credibility. A more realistic message about real dangers of drugs might have better results. When they demonize potheads, and then go on to demonize crack heads, the kids will assume, after seeing real potheads, that the DARE folks are full of shit, and assume much of what they say about the dangers of crack is also bullshit.

:lmao:

I think Neon Genesis is right to criticize dare. That doesn't mean he's a crackhead. When the anti-drug movement feeds our kids a bunch of silly unrealistic propaganda, they destroy their credibility. A more realistic message about real dangers of drugs might have better results. When they demonize potheads, and then go on to demonize crack heads, the kids will assume, after seeing real potheads, that the DARE folks are full of shit, and assume much of what they say about the dangers of crack is also bullshit.

100% hit the nail on the head. It sickens me to think of how much money time and effort our government has spent on anti drug campaigns that are not effective at all.

I'm a straight edge person (teetotaler, doesn't smoke cigarettes, or use recreational drugs--the only drugs I use are prescribed pharmaceuticals but only at the prescribed dosage) but I am also for the legalization of narcotics (throw in prostitution while you're at it).

I'm a straight edge person (teetotaler, doesn't smoke cigarettes, or use recreational drugs--the only drugs I use are prescribed pharmaceuticals but only at the prescribed dosage) but I am also for the legalization of narcotics (throw in prostitution while you're at it).

Ditto the prostitution thing. If a fully consenting adult wants to exchange sexual services for $$$ with another fully consenting adult, it's nobody else's fucking business.

A friend of mine talked with me one day about her 11 year old son who had been told at school that just one cigarette could give you cancer.

She was surprised that this was what was being taught, but then said "if that's what it takes to keep my kid off of drugs and cigarettes, then that's okay with me."

I asked her, "What happens when her kid and a whole bunch of other kids in that school realize that what adults tell them is bullshit? Will they ever respect authority again? Maybe they'll use the excuse that ALL warnings against drugs and smoking cigarettes is a lie."

I don't know for sure that this was a DARE program. It might have been a health class. But, I think DARE can be in danger of falling into the same category. I believe statistics have shown that DARE is not effective in preventing drug use in young people (although I don't have a reference her in front of me), but since the intention is good and SOMETHING has to be done, and it's good PR for the police, the program is perpetuated.

A friend of mine talked with me one day about her 11 year old son who had been told at school that just one cigarette could give you cancer.

She was surprised that this was what was being taught, but then said "if that's what it takes to keep my kid off of drugs and cigarettes, then that's okay with me."

I asked her, "What happens when her kid and a whole bunch of other kids in that school realize that what adults tell them is bullshit? Will they ever respect authority again? Maybe they'll use the excuse that ALL warnings against drugs and smoking cigarettes is a lie."

I don't know for sure that this was a DARE program. It might have been a health class. But, I think DARE can be in danger of falling into the same category. I believe statistics have shown that DARE is not effective in preventing drug use in young people (although I don't have a reference her in front of me), but since the intention is good and SOMETHING has to be done, and it's good PR for the police, the program is perpetuated.

Just one car ride can lead to death by a car accident. Eating just one sandwich can lead to death by choking. Walking out in the rain just once can lead to being killed by lightning. ..... etc.

One of my favorite bumper stickers ever: DARE - to keep cops off drugs.

DARE is a government funded leech that sucks taxpayer dollars for no other reason than to line the contractors behind the program's pockets.

I think DARE can be summed up in even fewer words than that: cult.

I've gotten drunk, done pot, smoked tobacco, and I'm a perfectly normal, (but eccentric) person. Although I have quit smoking tobacco however, and I think its a really bad habit to ones health.

"Here is where you have the opportunity to respond or comment on any of the articles and rants on ExChristian.Net, or add your own topic."

From the menu. Reading is your friend.

the_more_you_know.jpg

:HaHa:

I remember it in 6th Grade, we got Free t-shirts.

DARE is a government funded leech that sucks taxpayer dollars for no other reason than to line the contractors behind the program's pockets.

Pretty much this. Luckily some states have been cutting funding of this white whale.

Pretty much this. Luckily some states have been cutting funding of this white whale.

The planets are aligned or something: I completelyagree with BO.