Goodbye Jesus

Trade Off!

Xerces

Would you, as a passionate loving christian, spend eternity in "hell" if it meant everyone else would have their souls saved? :Old:

Damn good question. That question tortured me when I was a christian.

Would you, as a passionate loving christian, spend eternity in "hell" if it meant everyone else would have their souls saved?

When I was a Christian, no way. Escaping damnation was the point. I have trouble enduring hangnails, much less chained in a pool of boiling oil forever.

I would hazard a guess that most Christians who would honestly answer the question, would say the same thing, and see no particular conflict or shame in it. Christianity is all about one's inadequacy and dependence upon some external source of strength.

I think I prayed that one time for someone. I wanted that person saved and asked God to send me to Hell instead of that person.

Scary thought here...

Maybe God made me lose my faith to make sure I'm going to Hell, and now that guy will be saved?... :eek:

Well, if that's true, I did a good deed and will be punished for it. :grin:

• Super Moderator

If you could do it, if you would do it, you would be Jesus. No good Christian would have the effrontery to aspire to that.

If you could do it, if you would do it, you would be Jesus. No good Christian would have the effrontery to aspire to that.

Exactly, I am capable of mowing the neighbors yard when they are in need, but there you are....pretty eye opening.

Exactly, I am capable of mowing the neighbors yard when they are in need, but there you are....pretty eye opening.

Hm. Then why was Paul talking about it? (I don't know the context).

P

Hm. Then why was Paul talking about it? (I don't know the context).

P

I think that is rational for worshiping Christ....a level we aspire to...someone else's regard over ours. What would it mean to give to others to the point of death. I don't think we even come close. A fitting conversation today.

I think I prayed that one time for someone. I wanted that person saved and asked God to send me to Hell instead of that person.

Scary thought here...

Maybe God made me lose my faith to make sure I'm going to Hell, and now that guy will be saved?... :eek:

Well, if that's true, I did a good deed and will be punished for it. :grin:

I prayed that prayer too. Scary indeed.

I think that this 'trade off' really identifies the inherent injustice and unfairness of christian salvation. And in this case, it does punish someone for being compassionate, loving, and selfless. But they don't get punished for 3 days, like jesus. They take this burden on (if they are a believing christian praying that prayer) for ETERNITY. They do something jesus was unable to do, and demonstrate more love because they are prepared to do this for one person, for eternity, whereas jesus did it apparently for everyone, for three days. BUt only if you believe in him. In my case, I was prepared to do it privately, without them knowing. I made a private bargain with god for their salvation, which they were not privy to. I didn't do it for kudos. Unlike jesus.

I posted some of this in one of Justyna's threads. I don't think she liked it when I demonstrated that a mere mortal could demonstrate more love than her precious jesus.

I think that is rational for worshiping Christ....a level we aspire to...someone else's regard over ours. What would it mean to give to others to the point of death. I don't think we even come close. A fitting conversation today.

... exactly what soldiers do and have done for their nations over countless years! Except when they give to the point of death, they do not sleep for a lousy 3 days! And what's more, if you believe in the triune god, Jesus surely would have known what his outcome would be after 3 days!

So I say, a soldier serving for his country who is killed in the line of duty gives a far greater sacrifice!

Would you, as a passionate loving christian, spend eternity in "hell" if it meant everyone else would have their souls saved? :Old:

Paul himself said he would if it meant that his fellow Jews would accept the savior. I guess he considered the rest of us to be dog shit!

Paul said he would. I still he was a dushbag.

I agree, Paul was a douchebag. Also, it is easy to make claims about what you would do in a hypothetical situation that you know will never happen.

... exactly what soldiers do and have done for their nations over countless years! Except when they give to the point of death, they do not sleep for a lousy 3 days! And what's more, if you believe in the triune god, Jesus surely would have known what his outcome would be after 3 days!

So I say, a soldier serving for his country who is killed in the line of duty gives a far greater sacrifice!

... I am still waiting on a christian to give a response to this?? I guess a 3 day sleep cannot be that great a sacrifice after all!!

Exactly! I always wondered about this too.

... I am still waiting on a christian to give a response to this?? I guess a 3 day sleep cannot be that great a sacrifice after all!!

I'm amazed how Christians can try to claim Jesus suffered so badly. Really when it comes down to it too, he hasn't taken our punishment for us. Our punishment is eternal torture. Or at the very least anihilation by fire... or if you want to go by the OT, permanent death. Nope, Jesus has not undergone any of those. Therefore he has not taken our punishment.

I always thought christians could bullshit any answer! Maybe not??

If you could do it, if you would do it, you would be Jesus. ...

No, you wouldn't. Jesus did NOT spend an eternity in hell. He high-tailed it out of there in under three days, or so the story goes.

I posted some of this in one of Justyna's threads. I don't think she liked it when I demonstrated that a mere mortal could demonstrate more love than her precious jesus.

:HaHa: I bet! She was a piece of work, that's for sure.

Yup, her legend will live on around here, I'm guessing. :loser:

It was just one of those questions I didn't want to ask in the middle of bible study when they talk about Jesus' sacrifice. I thought...well, yeah, I'm sure it hurt, but 3 days is a lot different from eternal punishment. And I was stupid enough to think "Well, I guess I'm just not as learned as these bible scholars. There must be SOME excuse!" In other words, I guess the Emperor MUST have some clothes on - everyone else sees them. So yes, they're AMAZINGLY good at making up bullshit answers. Still feel like smacking myself for believing them, too.

It was just one of those questions I didn't want to ask in the middle of bible study when they talk about Jesus' sacrifice. I thought...well, yeah, I'm sure it hurt, but 3 days is a lot different from eternal punishment. And I was stupid enough to think "Well, I guess I'm just not as learned as these bible scholars. There must be SOME excuse!" In other words, I guess the Emperor MUST have some clothes on - everyone else sees them. So yes, they're AMAZINGLY good at making up bullshit answers. Still feel like smacking myself for believing them, too.

The way I figured it was that if hell was infinitely miserable and if 3 X infinity = infinity X infinity, then 3 days in hell was as much punishment as an eternity in hell. But then again, how can one experience infinite misery? I guess since it's all bullshit anyway, so I won't bother trying to wrap my head around that, but that was the kind of mental gynastics I performed at the time.

As a Christian, I would find myself thinking, "Dying for someone is not that unique. People, like soldiers and parents protecting their children from harm, do that all the time." Then I'd catch myself and stop the thought process with a thought like, "There must be something special about a god dying since gods don't die."

OFF-TOPIC WARNING:

I thought about her last night when I was watching Issues with Jane Velez Mitchell and the Nancy Grace Show on HLN. They revealed that Bethany Storro -- the Vancouver, WA, woman who claimed that an unknown African-American woman attacked her by throwing acid in her face -- had actually put the acid on her own face and faked the attack to get attention.

Right after the so-called attack, she was claiming that she had been shopping at a mall earlier when a voice told her to buy sunglasses, even though she didn't usually wear sunglasses, and that it was the voice of God because she was wearing them when the acid was thrown on her and they saved her from being blinded. She also made the news and was featured on many stations when she spoke on forgiving her attacker.

I also heard something on one of the HLN shows that her intention was to go on the Oprah Winfrey show and "proclaim the word of God."

She's 28, same age as Justyna claimed to be, and I think she looks like Justyna, too. But, I can't tell for certain because the pictures Justyna originally posted here are no longer online.

Could they possibly be the same person? Probably not, but then again ... ?

Anyway, my apologies for getting off on this tangent. It's just a weird thought that gripped me last night.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/acid-attack-victim-bethany-storro-tells-police-faked/story?id=11658631

OFF-TOPIC WARNING:

I thought about her last night when I was watching Issues with Jane Velez Mitchell and the Nancy Grace Show on HLN. They revealed that Bethany Storro -- the Vancouver, WA, woman who claimed that an unknown African-American woman attacked her by throwing acid in her face -- had actually put the acid on her own face and faked the attack to get attention.

Right after the so-called attack, she was claiming that she had been shopping at a mall earlier when a voice told her to buy sunglasses, even though she didn't usually wear sunglasses, and that it was the voice of God because she was wearing them when the acid was thrown on her and they saved her from being blinded. She also made the news and was featured on many stations when she spoke on forgiving her attacker.

I also heard something on one of the HLN shows that her intention was to go on the Oprah Winfrey show and "proclaim the word of God."

She's 28, same age as Justyna claimed to be, and I think she looks like Justyna, too. But, I can't tell for certain because the pictures Justyna originally posted here are no longer online.

Could they possibly be the same person? Probably not, but then again ... ?

Anyway, my apologies for getting off on this tangent. It's just a weird thought that gripped me last night.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/acid-attack-victim-bethany-storro-tells-police-faked/story?id=11658631

Pretty certain that's not her - her eyes look very different. She wasn't from Vancouver, either.