Goodbye Jesus

Free Thinking Xtians?

Xerces

So, I was talking to my sister about religion. Because well, usually when she brings up something related to religion, instead of getting irritated I just make a silly sarcastic remark. Sometimes she gets pissed at my remarks though, so today I thought I'd actually discuss it with her.

It didn't go far, I tried to point out some things to her, however she tells me things such as this: "I use the bible as a reference but do not believe everything in it, I am more spiritual than following what someone else wrote." yet, she claims to be a xtian, and not just a regular run of the mill xtian, but a "free thinking xian".

She also says that she believes that Jesus died as a representation of love, but that you don't have to accept him as a savior. Which I assume negates any hint of her being the slightest bit evangelical. But still, she knows I am an atheist and yet she tries to talk to me about how awesome some miracle story she heard from someone was and expect me to share in the same tripe inspired awe she feels from a story she has no evidence for.

• Super Moderator
Free Thinking Xtians?

Oxymoron by definition.

And, she is no Christian by anyone's definition but her own. I think the term "Christian" means "religious" or "spiritual" in some generic way to her. She imagines herself, as so many "spiritual" people do, to be aware of some unseen dimension that you don't experience, and therefore she feels somehow superior in her knowledge of the Real reality.

And, she is no Christian by anyone's definition but her own.

That's for damn sure. But that's not too bad, really. I don't half mind someone who says that accepting Jesus as savior is not necessary.

I never liked the term "freethinking." It's the same tone as that of far right nuts when they call everyone else "sheeple."

She sounds like many spiritually-minded people, myself included, who appreciate the wisdom and uplifting stories found in religious texts without buying into all of the fundie bullshit surrounding them. I find parts of the Bible inspiring and uplifting, but I sure as hell am not a Christian, nor do I believe that the Bible or any other holy book is divinely inspired. My personal preferences run toward Eastern religion. When I read the Gita and, for example, and I read the section where Krishna reveals himself as the Supreme God in all his glory to Arjuna, I don't for a moment take it literally, but I'm vicariously right there with Arjuna experiencing the awe I imagine he would have felt if the story were real. That's a very wordy way of saying, "It's great religious fiction", I guess -- moving and inspirational, but not for real, just like any halfway decent Star Trek novel. :grin:

• Like 2

A "free thing Christian" is just another way of saying "I pick and choose what part of the fairytale to believe in." It's still being intellectually dishonest, and still worshipping a vile god.

She's a leisurely stroll away from being pagan. Bet she goes Wiccan and starts calling Jesus a witch.

I used to be a freethinking Christian. When I was 13. I wasn't exactly the brightest 13 year old around. However it was part of my deconversion, and I did wind up rejecting Christianity altogether about a year later...

just sayin. She might be irritating now but I await her extimony.

"free thinking xian".

Translated: "make it up I go xian."

mwc

She's a leisurely stroll away from being pagan. Bet she goes Wiccan and starts calling Jesus a witch.

This would be hilarious if we all lived in Salem back in 1692...