Goodbye Jesus

Video 'jesus & Young People'

prplfox

You are a really good writer. It's been over 20 years since I experienced the things you covered in your vids, but you brought back so many memories and vividly described so many of the same thoughts and experiences from my own past.

Came here to say this. It's been over 20 years for me too, and the evangelical rhetoric, cliches, and culture are still almost physically uncomfortable for me. I sincerely admire your bravery to be able to talk about this so openly, and using the original language. I couldn't do it.

Beyond incredible. So deeply personal and honest.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work - I've watched parts #1 - #6 several times!

• 1 month later...

Excellent series. I watched all of them the other night. You captured the heart of the struggle so eloquently. The idea of only having identity in Christ-and the incredible freedome of finding your identity in you-I can so relate to that!

• 2 months later...
  • Super Moderator

prplfox, I am glad to have found you here. I watched your entire video series in one sitting about a month ago and saw so much of the younger man I once was in your stirring account. Although I have been an atheist for almost a decade now, I have never been very active about it. Your videos, as well as those of others, have encouraged me to step out and do my bit to help those who are struggling either to terminate their faith, or to find some real meaning with it.  Thank you, and keep the lack of faith!

In part 6 you talk about depersonalization. I have felt this way for weeks and even sent this tweet out last week.

Ever feel like you don't make decisions anymore? Like you are just floating around watching someone else's life.

I never could quite put into words what I was feeling. These videos really help me see that this is normal, part of the deprogramming and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

• 2 months later...

Can I hug you? Seriously, I am sitting here with dried up tears and snot running down my nose DESPERATE to hug you. The amount of emotion and compassion your video series (which I just sat for the last two hours or so and watched straight through) has squeezed out of me is just unreal. I just want to hug you and say thank you so much for making these videos. I'm an ex-Christian, and have been so secretly only for a few years. When I think about it though, I feel like I never really was one, I only participated because of my environment, & my friends and family. But your video touched me on so many levels, and reminded me how it felt, and how it must still feel for a lot of people, on the other side. I just can't thank you or applaud you enough and I just wish you the best in life. And because it's the best I can do right now, *virtual hugs*.