Goodbye Jesus

Christine O'donell Ponders Why Aren't Monkeys Still Evolving

Neon Genesis

So is the evolution in Pokemon completely wrong then?

:lmao:

I think that's how Christians imagine evolution is supposed to be like. If you get enough experience from battling, you're supposed to magically evolve into another creature in five seconds. But even if that did happen, how many Christians would believe it and how many would still deny it happened? We all know good and well that even if Christians did witness evolution taking place, that they would find some reason to deny it happened.

Very true. To understand Evolution, you have to put yourself in a little bit different mindset or way of thinking. If a person doesn't want to understand, it doesn't matter how much it is proven to him or her.

I just realized that one reason why people don't understand Evolution is that whole "survival of the fittest" mantra. Right now, scientists do everything they can to avoid using that term. It's faulty, false, and utterly wrong. What it suggests is that only the strongest survives, but it's not true. It's not about strength or speed, but it's about ability to reproduce. And the survival isn't solely about the individual, but about the species. People think that "survival of the fittest" would lead to only a limited number of animals, all extremely fit in their area, the fastest lion, the fastest shark, and the smartest homonoid. But they fail understand it's also the survival of the fastest antelope, the best camouflaged fish, and the jungle dwelling gorilla.

Here's a video with Dawkins showing the tree:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• MagickMonkey

• Neon Genesis

• dB-Paradox

Is it sad that one person can get so much media attention just from spouting out stupid things?

Is it sad that one person can get so much media attention just from spouting out stupid things?

Politics is only about spouting stupid things, so it's the survival of the fittest there too. The politician with the lowest IQ, the quickest mouth, and the strongest idealistic opinions, wins.

I wonder why Miss O's brain hasn't evolved.Wendyshrug.gif

A lot of clips are surfacing about her from ~10+ years ago. I wonder if there are more recent things with her saying the same sort of stuff? I also wonder if she will say she was young and dumb on some of the things she has said. Had you asked many of the folks on this forum what they believed ~10+ years ago they might very well be in line with those old statements.

Defending right-wing Christians again, are we Vix? You know, for someone who supposedly thinks their religion is evil, you seem to love defending these people no matter what. So if all Christians are evil for worshiping an evil god, yet here you are defending them, what does that say about you? Will you ever say anything bad about the Tea Party at least once in your life?

Again you are acting the idiot. I asked for more recent quotes and if she had ever denounced her former statements. How is that supporting her?

I think Vix asks a really good question about Ms O'Donell's current beliefs on the topic.

Phanta

Again you are acting the idiot. I asked for more recent quotes and if she had ever denounced her former statements. How is that supporting her?

She certainly hasn't retracted her views and openly endorsed evolution yet.

It's like asking why are there still British people if the U.S. came from the UK.

I agree with Hans. This is a decent analogy in my opinion.

I still think Darwin's domestication analogy is a good one too. If labradors came from wolves then why are there still wolves?

I think the question betrays a complete misunderstanding of the process and the idea of a niche.

Guest Valk0010

Politics aren't religion beliefs I guess. I have bigger problems with O'Donnell then just her christian extremism. Like lying on her resume on multiple occasions. Last I check O Donnell is still involved in SALT for example.

O'Donnell also claimed scientists were combining mice with human brains: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311946,00.html

O'DONNELL: By their own admission...

O'REILLY: No.

O'DONNELL: ... these groups admitted that the report that said, "Hey, yay, we cloned a monkey. Now we're using this to start cloning humans." We have to keep...

O'REILLY: Let them admit anything they want. But they won't do that here in the United States unless all craziness is going on.

O'DONNELL: They are — they are doing that here in the United States. American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains. So they're already into this experiment.

On another side note, O'Donnell is not that bad looking. I'd titty-fuck her. Oops...did I just defile her by having a lustful thought about her? I guess she's going to hell now!

Is O'Donnell going to replace Sarah Palin now?

And there have been several transitional forms found in the fossil record. There have also been multiple human species, homo neanderthalensis, homo sapiens, and homo floresiensis (I'm sure I misspelled the fuck out of these) and possibly others, existing simultaneously in the past.

IIRC, we killed off the Neanderthals.

And there have been several transitional forms found in the fossil record. There have also been multiple human species, homo neanderthalensis, homo sapiens, and homo floresiensis (I'm sure I misspelled the fuck out of these) and possibly others, existing simultaneously in the past.

Forgive my ignorance. What does IIRC mean?

I saw the mice-brain thing. I was like, lolwut??! And, yes, while old, her rambling on about being a "satanic witch" and "drinking blood" or some nonsense was hysterical.

Fundies will always misunderstand evolution, on purpose. Just like we're always just "mad at god."

What does IIRC mean?

if I remember correctly

The thing that really bothers me is that there will be thousands of people in Delaware who won't care that she thinks this way.  They will vote for her anyway (or maybe even because she thinks like this.)

The founding fathers never intended for everyone to get the vote.  They envisioned a country where intelligent, educated voters studied the issues and selected the best among them to govern.  They might have been on to something.

The question is not whether monkey are evolving; they are of course like we are.  I recommend you read the October 2010 Scientific American which deals with continued human evolution.  Humans did not evolve from apes by the way, we still are a species of ape.

yours

VFX

Humans did not evolve from apes by the way, we still are a species of ape.

This is the real rub. Isn't it VFX? We're so damn proud, too proud to acknowledge this.

Welcome to ex-C.

I assume you're not the original VenomfangX from Youtube. :grin:

The thing that really bothers me is that there will be thousands of people in Delaware who won't care that she thinks this way. They will vote for her anyway (or maybe even because she thinks like this.)

The founding fathers never intended for everyone to get the vote. They envisioned a country where intelligent, educated voters studied the issues and selected the best among them to govern. They might have been on to something.

The question is not whether monkey are evolving; they are of course like we are. I recommend you read the October 2010 Scientific American which deals with continued human evolution. Humans did not evolve from apes by the way, we still are a species of ape.

yours

VFX

Well, we evolved from previous species of apes. It is accurate to say that our nearest non-human ancestor was also an ape.

Forgive my ignorance. What does IIRC mean?

if I remember correctly

Thanks.

Yes, we almost certainly killed off the Neanderthals. Still, before we killed them off, we shared the planet with them and homo florensiensis. The point of all that was that a species will often evolve in multiple directions, and that when the resulting species end up competing for the same resources, one may drive the others two extinction, reducing the diversity someone may otherwise expect from species evolving in multiple directions.

Neandertals are still alive... kind'a.

While migrating away from Africa, Homo sapiens interbred with Neadertals.

People who are direct descendants to the original Homo sapiens in Africa, do not have the Neadertal markers, while people descendant from those who migrated, i.e. all the rest of us, have 1-4% Neadertal DNA.

Researchers sequencing Neandertal DNA have concluded that between 1 and 4 percent of the DNA of people today who live outside Africa came from Neandertals, the result of interbreeding between Neandertals and early modern humans.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=neandertal-genome-study-r

Neandertals are still alive... kind'a.

While migrating away from Africa, Homo sapiens interbred with Neadertals.

People who are direct descendants to the original Homo sapiens in Africa, do not have the Neadertal markers, while people descendant from those who migrated, i.e. all the rest of us, have 1-4% Neadertal DNA.

Researchers sequencing Neandertal DNA have concluded that between 1 and 4 percent of the DNA of people today who live outside Africa came from Neandertals, the result of interbreeding between Neandertals and early modern humans.

http://www.scientifi...-genome-study-r

I heard that there might be some interbreeding with Neandertals, but I didn't know there was any conclusive information. That's some cool info.

It seems Christine O'Donnell could be a popular Halloween costume this year from what I've heard. In fact I know a bunch of people planning to dress up as Tea Partiers with mispelled/wacky signs for Halloween.

Yes, we almost certainly killed off the Neanderthals. Still, before we killed them off, we shared the planet with them and homo florensiensis. The point of all that was that a species will often evolve in multiple directions, and that when the resulting species end up competing for the same resources, one may drive the others two extinction, reducing the diversity someone may otherwise expect from species evolving in multiple directions.

That is rather debatable. They could have died off from a drastic climate change that diminished their vital food supply; there are also some evidence that there was some sort of trade between Homo sapiens and Neanderthals.