Goodbye Jesus

What's It Like Where You Live?

TexasFreethinker

Do you live in a place where it's easy to be an atheist/agnostic/pagan (or other non-believer), or is there some risk?

I've never had a problem here in Alaska. There are fundie nuts here for sure in large numbers, but a lot of non-believers too. But then, I don't get out much and I have no interest in politics. :shrug:

Here in this part of florida, I'm not really sure. I know some non-fundie christians (red necks who live like heathens but believe strongly in god for some reason) who would be appalled if they knew I was an atheist, but I don't go out of my way to hide it. The issue of god rarely comes up arround them. Some of my in-laws (who are from arround here) know but don't give a shit. Some of the guys at school certainly disagreed about their not being a god, but really didn't give a shit. I actually have a fellow atheist in my Western Civ class.

I think that your location is an important factor in how well your non-belief will be accepted (and how much potential there is for risk)... but it's definitely not the only, or even the biggest factor. I live in Wichita KS, which isn't exactly in the Bible Belt- but it's pretty convervative overall. Pretty much everybody who knows me in this state- whether it's through family, work, or school- knows at a minimum that I'm "not religious". Most know that I get a kick out of ridiculing religion... and the A-bomb even gets thrown around on occasion. In my current situation, I have little to no worry that I could be harassed, lose my job, etc. over my infidel status.

But that hasn't always been the case- and I've come to think that the biggest factor is NOT where you live or even exactly what your beliefs are (anybody who isn't part of the herd is potentially subject to abuse). There's been a very real potential for problems caused by my lack of belief several years ago- at times when I wasn't as well-established in my job/community/family. Times when I made less money, times when the wife was unemployed and/or in school. Times when I was less assertive and less aggressive than I seem to be these days.

It's been my expereince that people in general- doesn't really matter much whether they're friends, family, or strangers- will kick you while you're down. They don't necessarily MEAN it that way... they may MEAN it as 'tough love', unsolicited advice, etc. Parents will be controlling, co-workers will backstab, friends will give you the cold shoulder, strangers will discriminate... all in direct proportion to your own vulnerability. If you're down on your luck financially, if you're a social misfit, if you're new in town, if you don't stick up for yourself, if you're financially dependent (particularly in parent-child relationships), then you're vulnerable. You WILL have to keep your mouth shut more often, and there's a better chance that people will hold your beliefs (or lack thereof) against you. IMO, it's just human nature.

I feel very fortunate that things have been going well for me for several years now. Some of that it due to my own and my wife's hard work and persistence... some is just luck. But I know full well that if we fall on hard times, we WILL have to put up with more religious bullshit. That's just how we humans are. I wish it was different... but that's been my experience.

Las Vegas, Nevada. Sin City, baby! :HaHa:

With that said, the last two governors have been Mormon, not to mention Senator Reid (who used to be the Gaming Commissioner in Vegas, one of the most powerful positions in the state), and... they have more power in Nevada, including Las Vegas, than most non-Nevadans realize. However, it's not like Utah at all. In fact, the U-tards think we're of da debil! :HaHa: But you should see how many U-tards are crossing the state line every fucking night if they live within 50 miles of it. Nevada serves the same function for them that Bahrain does for Saudi Arabia. They can drink and smoke and gamble and fuck all the night long!

If you're in a city like Vegas nobody's gonna fuck with you for being non-Mormon, that's for goddamn sure. The Mormons in Vegas only care about money and they don't let their religious bullshit get in the way of making it. They mostly stay behind the scenes counting those dollar bills.

It's about a 5 where I am. The risk of being physically accosted is fairly low but you can easily loose your job (since I live in Tn where workers have no rights).

Lose my job - good possibility of that. Considering that the region manager in my office donates to Kenneth Copeland every month. The VP that works out of our office is a member of the local i-wanna-be-a-megachurch and made a contribution that more than paid for me going on a mission trip to Africa back in my xianity days.

I don't worry about being physically attacked so much as worry that some loving christian will vandalize my property.

No problems here....although it seems the hard core fundies are pretty thick when you find their little corners. But, since this is the SF Bay area, it is pretty liberal overall, and most people try to be accepting, or they could lose all their business! I've met more fellow atheists here than I had my entire life prior to moving here, with the small exception of my time in the military when a lot of people were trying different religions or just kinda forgetting about it (even if they claimed christianity, they were anything but hard core about it).

Lose my job - good possibility of that. Considering that the region manager in my office donates to Kenneth Copeland every month. The VP that works out of our office is a member of the local i-wanna-be-a-megachurch and made a contribution that more than paid for me going on a mission trip to Africa back in my xianity days.

Workers really have no rights over yonder, do they?

If something like that happened here in Vegas there would be a massive public shit-fit and your lawyer would be holding a press conference. The asshole that did it would be run outta town on a rail.

No problems here....although it seems the hard core fundies are pretty thick when you find their little corners.

Go about 90 minutes inland and it's closer to Oklahoma than it is to that coastal California ideal.

I live in s. Florida and like it because there are many religions here. There are a lot of Jewish New Yorkers and there is a fair amount of New Age/Pagan activity around here as well. Not much danger of losing a job over it, unless you are employed in a Christian organization - then all bets are off.

The average worker has zero rights to a job here. You can be fired anytime. They will make up a good reason and you will never really know why.

No problems here....although it seems the hard core fundies are pretty thick when you find their little corners.

Go about 90 minutes inland and it's closer to Oklahoma than it is to that coastal California ideal.

Exactly....

In my town people still whisper over who is Catholic and running a business. People's beliefs play a part in who they give their business to. They also learn fast who to leave alone when they go door knocking. The JWs and Mormons come down my street, they cross over to the other side when they get to my house and then come back across the street after passing. I get to laughing when I watch them from my front window. I did get one door-banger to laugh when I showed her my 'No Religious Soliciting' sign. She had never seen one before. I still wouldn't take her Watch Tower. People on my block ask me how I keep them away from my door and I tell them I don't give them the time to start yacking about their beliefs before I shut the door. Word travels fast and they leave me alone for the most part. I do not wear t-shirts claiming that I am an atheist but I never wore one that said I was Christian either. The subject of my beliefs do not come up that often as most around here already know me and what I believe. I don't generally get into a debate.

I'm fairly open and don't fear physical harm, and I probably don't have to worry about my job either

I guess this would describe my location. But I am wary when crossing into certian places not too far away.

Workers really have no rights over yonder, do they?

If something like that happened here in Vegas there would be a massive public shit-fit and your lawyer would be holding a press conference. The asshole that did it would be run outta town on a rail.

In Tennessee, workers literally have no legal recourse if they are fired due to blatant discrimination; employers aren't even required to tell why they fired a person.

I wouldn't face physical harm in this part of Texas, but I would be ostracized at work and fear for my job.

I live in the Pensacola, FL Area. It is Florida but it is more culturally Southern (Souteastern USA), this area of Florida is often referred to as "Lower Alabama". There are plenty of fundies around here. There are plenty of evangelical and Catholics around here too. I mostly get along with folks, but then again I am kind of an enigma to them. They don't quite know how to take me. I think if you go out looking for trouble, you will find trouble. If you try to mostly get along with people you can get along. If you are moving from a different part of the to a different area, it is a good idea to try to learn about the area culturally. I don't make a big deal about my beliefs or lack thereof.

"Lower Alabama" hehehehehe, I like it. Have you run into folks not realizing that "Lower Alamaba" is not in the eastern time zone? There are a lot of transplants (like me) living in this area, especially near the coast, but it is much more culturally "Southern" then I imagine the Florida peninsula to be. And, of course, they don't call Panama City the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing.

I'm in the middle of Alabama......I'm a #6,I've had both my car and home vandalized and been terminated without recourse from 4 restaurants.The fundies are in no way pacifists to non-believers,but I will not back down!

Alabama is a free will work state so anyone can be fired for no reason,they can't fire you for a protected reason so they fabricate one. I look at it this way...their actions are all the proof I need to discount their "god".

I live in the Pensacola, FL Area. It is Florida but it is more culturally Southern (Souteastern USA), this area of Florida is often referred to as "Lower Alabama". There are plenty of fundies around here. There are plenty of evangelical and Catholics around here too. I mostly get along with folks, but then again I am kind of an enigma to them. They don't quite know how to take me. I think if you go out looking for trouble, you will find trouble. If you try to mostly get along with people you can get along. If you are moving from a different part of the to a different area, it is a good idea to try to learn about the area culturally. I don't make a big deal about my beliefs or lack thereof.

"Lower Alabama" hehehehehe, I like it. Have you run into folks not realizing that "Lower Alamaba" is not in the eastern time zone? There are a lot of transplants (like me) living in this area, especially near the coast, but it is much more culturally "Southern" then I imagine the Florida peninsula to be. And, of course, they don't call Panama City the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing.

I, like you, am a transplant as well. Since moving here, I think I have had more old friends and family from other parts of the country suddenly take an interest in getting reconnected, and have had many come for a visit in the last two years than they did in all the last 20 + years...LOL. Several have asked ..."Are you in the Eastern Time?" when talking on the phone. Some will also ask..."How far is Orlando from you?". They are shocked to find it can be close to eight hours driving. I do business in the Peninsula and I find it is like surburban Atlanta or Chicago with Palm trees. The Panhandle is much more laid back and easy going. Also, gas prices in the Peninsula are like around 20 cents higher per gallon than where you or I live. One thing is for sure, people can have South Beach in Miami, but the beaches where you are and I are, are soooo sugar white sand with turquoise blue bathwater warm waters and the women look just as hot in those little tiny bikini's... :wicked: Plus, they will talk to you and smile where as the women down in the Southbeach area, I have found not as friendly....not trying to desparage anyone's character, just the personality of the area. Much more Northeastern/New York attitude.

Hehehe, there sure are plenty of hot chicks at the beach. I see many of the hot beach chicks at the community college. It can make concentrating in class a little difficult. I hate how many buildings there are along the beach, though. I can drive through Panama City Beach on Front Beach Road, and barely see the water. There's a State Park nearby that's not too bad.

I live in the UK so it's a 1 for me. Of course there are fundies about and the *church* has it's influences but it really *isn't* an issue being an atheist/agnostic to get jobs, in fact I'm sure there's a law somewhere that says that religious organisations aren't allowed to deny giving someone a job due to their religious affiliation.

I'm a 2 in north Dallas. I don't fear for my job because one of the company's owners is an atheist too.

I'm not too concerned about physical violence in this part of the state, altho I did have a magnetic atheist bumper sticker on my car at one time and it was removed and thrown on the ground a couple of times at the grocery store.

I don't think an open atheist could be elected to office anywhere in Texas (except maybe Austin!) In fact, our state constitution still says you must believe in a higher power to be sworn into office (even tho that violates the US Constitution).