Goodbye Jesus

The Adventures of Big Dufus and Creepy Chris

Dio

I'm probably being too judgmental here, but oh well.

I'm at Starbuck's Friday night, with my older sister from out-of-town and her two daughters (in their twenties, one who lives here in town), just hanging out, chatting after dinner, when I'm interrupted by this hulking figure towering over our table, a big toothy grin, and a large wooden cross around his neck. Turns out it's Big Dufus, a guy from my old church who I haven't seen for over a year, and who is an auto mechanic, but fancies himself an intellectual. The nickname by the way I just came up with now. So he interrupts, introduces himself, starts chatting up about how a big gang from church is getting together at Starbucks and we should come join them and did I go to the weeknight Super Praise Blowout service, and gee whiz are we doing anything tomorrow night? We should come to the service - the latest sermon series that Pastor Wonderful is preaching is so awesome, blah, blah, blah. Finally he actually puts his hand on an empty chair as if he was going to sit down with us for awhile. I think my "don't-you-dare" glare stopped him in his tracks. He seemed to back off then went and joined his little fellowship gang.

A little while later, we are again interrupted by Creepy Chris (not his real name) who reaches over, shakes my hand, looks deeply into my eyes and says "Hey bro, long time no see - hope to see you in church sometime". "Hi. Yeah, ok" is my only reply. This is the kind of guy who is so intimate with Christ that he is almost other-worldly, on some sort of elevated spiritual plane that you or I could never hope to achieve. His biblical insights were so profound, that he is a living breathing commentary. Anyway, the evening proceeds as usual. There are no further interruptions and no discussion on our part concerning my two uninvited guests. Ok, no harm, no foul.

Obviously, I'm pretty familiar with these dudes, and have been in bible studies or meetings with one or both of them in the past. Funny how your perspective changes after awhile, being away from that sort of mentality. What I once thought would have been a caring, ministerial sort of approach now strikes me as obnoxious and immature. I probably appeared to them as a backslidden brother out with a bunch of "girls", and really needing some intervention. Get a life, guys. Leave me alone. Hope we don't cross paths again.

Funny how your perspective changes after awhile, being away from that sort of mentality.  What I once thought would have been a caring, ministerial sort of approach now strikes me as obnoxious and immature.  I probably appeared to them as a backslidden brother out with a bunch of "girls", and really needing some intervention.  Get a life, guys.  Leave me alone.  Hope we don't cross paths again.

When you're in it, you think it's the way, but once you step outside of it, you see it for what it is.

Is it honesty? sincerety? realistic? I'd rather love someone for who they are, than out of obligation for where they are or what labels they have.

When someone thinks they know everything, and is afraid to do anything but reject what's different, there's no way they can see what you see 'on the other side'. They've never gone there, they can only imagine it from how they're taught to fear it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Dio. As time goes by and you continue to live your own life, they'll eventually lose interest. You'll be too hard a nut to crack, and they'll go after easier game.

Maybe you should start wearing a pentagram or Darwin-fish t-shirt to let them know. It's lots of fun to screw with fundies that way - throw them the horns and say, 'Hail Satan!' :58:

You could try switching to a Caribou coffee shop, if Starbucks is where those guys usually hang out. They make coffee with practically the same quality as Starbucks, IMHO.

Is it honesty? sincerety? realistic? I'd rather love someone for who they are, than out of obligation for where they are or what labels they have.

More like brainwashed cultists attempting to convert people to the cult's ways. Yeah, I used to think it was sincerity too. And they probably do think they are being sincere and honest. But to me, it's the brainwashing that's causing their behavior.

We need a chain of freethinker's coffee shops. Christians and other religious folks should be welcome, but if they proselytize and harass the other customers, they can be kicked out.

I probably appeared to them as a backslidden brother out with a bunch of "girls", and really needing some intervention. 

In other words they were jealous.

I'm not (just) being flip. I read a lot of stories on Customers_suck, and one recurring theme is creepy guys who simultaneously evangalize and hit on young women in the service industry.