Goodbye Jesus

American Atheist Plagiarizes Acharya's Work?

Guest Scott Hall

American Atheist Plagiarizes Acharya's Work?

"I stumbled across the article below while reading about the survey on Religious Literacy in America and taking an interest in a piece written by American Atheist President, Dave Silverman. While browsing articles on the American Atheist website I discovered what appears to be a serious case of plagiarism.

The following article purports to have been written by one "Edward Kagin," who is a lawyer and member of American Atheists' Board of Directors, serving as National Legal Director.

The comparisons to the original are provided below the quote in blue. As we can see, it's a virtual lift from Acharya's book The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold (1999). "

http://www.freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21268#p21268

What in the world is going on here? You gotta see this.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Rev R

• R. S. Martin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plagiarism is not good. I'd say Kagin screwed up there.

Yeah, it's been demonstrated that the article is definitely plagiarized from Acharya S. There are more posts in that thread now even from American Atheist Blair Scott and a comment from Kagin at the top of page 3.

P.S.

"If Acharya is so wrong then why are highly respected atheists such as "Edward Kagin," who is a lawyer and member of American Atheists' Board of Directors plagiarizing her work and trying to pass it off as their own? Doesn't this fly in face of those atheists who are so rigidly against Acharya and her work?"

I looked briefly at the article that is linked. I wonder if perhaps the info may be in the public domain and Acharya just used it. Have any of you watched Zeitgeist? I think I saw identical lists in Zeitgeist and in the article, which is why I ask whether it is possible that the info is in the public domain. If it is in the public domain, I understand Acharya and Kagin could both use it as they saw fit. Isn't that how it works?

I realize Zeitgeist is seen as a controversial movie by many on these exC forums, but let me mention that the Secular Humanist/Freethinker group of my area watched it in 2009. At least one English teacher was on the organizing committee. I am sure he would have told us if such an important part of the video were plagiarized. That is what suggests to me that the info used by this atheist probably is in the public domain.

I welcome input from anyone who has more information. For example, does anyone know where to find the source of the info? What sacred or ancient text or texts would it be taken from? It does seem, though, that any present-day author should document his/her sources in such a way that this conversation would not be necessary. In other words, we should know from the footnotes or text itself what ancient source is being quoted, right? Or it should appear in the preface or acknowledgments, etc.

Also, I've read that some books are in the public domain in the United States but not in some other countries, such as possibly countries more recently ruled by Britain (this would include Canada) because of different rules. With entire volumes published on the internet by American firms (such as Internet Sacred Text Archive in California), I am not sure how anyone is going to enforce these laws. Possibly they are enforced at the level of publishing houses that are built on the ground (which ground would of necessity belong to some country or other with its specific copyright laws), as opposed to virtual or online publishing...I really don't know.

Anyone from whatever country or continent know more about these things?

"I looked briefly at the article that is linked. I wonder if perhaps the info may be in the public domain and Acharya just used it...."

That is how it works were it in public domain however, that is not the case. The reason you recognize the list in Zeitgeist is because the creator of Zeitgeist Peter Joseph used her work with permission and she is properly cited.

Acharya S even wrote The New ZEITGEIST Part 1 Sourcebook (2010).

"I welcome input from anyone who has more information..."

It's all provided in the link in the original post but here it is again ... just read the thread American Atheist Plagiarizes Acharya's Work?

"If Acharya is so wrong then why...

Conspiracy?

I'm not sure that pertains to the argument about Kagin's plagiarism, unless it can be demonstrated that Kagin consider Acharya "so wrong." Put it this way, if Bob believe Tom is wrong, it does contribute anything in a discussion on why John did something wrong.

are highly respected atheists such as "Edward Kagin," who is a lawyer and member of American Atheists' Board of Directors plagiarizing her work and trying to pass it off as their own?

Perhaps because he doesn't think she's wrong. Perhaps he agrees with her so much that he just wanted to quote her but totally screwed up on giving proper sources?

Doesn't this fly in face of those atheists who are so rigidly against Acharya and her work?"

No. That's a conspiracy theorists argument, and has nothing to do with Acharya's work or other people's opinion about her work.

You need to read that thread - you don't seem to have any idea what's going on here.

You've taken this quote entirely out of context because you don't know what's going on.

"If Acharya is so wrong then why are highly respected atheists such as "Edward Kagin," who is a lawyer and member of American Atheists' Board of Directors plagiarizing her work and trying to pass it off as their own? Doesn't this fly in face of those atheists who are so rigidly against Acharya and her work?"

Acharya S gets smeared by some atheists (even some American Atheist members) who are rigidly against anything by her. And here we have an American Atheist board member plagiarizing her book and posting it up on the AA website presenting it as reliable and credible. So, Yes it most certainly does "fly in face of those atheists who are so rigidly against Acharya and her work."

You need to read that thread - you don't seem to have any idea what's going on here.

You've taken this quote entirely out of context because you don't know what's going on.

Acharya S gets smeared by some atheists (even some American Atheist members) who are rigidly against anything by her. And here we have an American Atheist board member plagiarizing her book and posting it up on the AA website presenting it as reliable and credible. So, Yes it most certainly does "fly in face of those atheists who are so rigidly against Acharya and her work."

Ah. So there's two arguments here. And the argument this paragraph brings up is that since Edward Kagin is a respectable atheist and a lawyer, then all atheists should change their views and agree with him and Acharya.

Well, I disagree. I don't trust lawyers in general. Some of them are good people, but many of them are sleazebags. And lawyers aren't necessarily good historians.

And since he didn't write anything by himself to support Acharya's point of view, he is just mimicking her and does not provide anything new. So why would a lawyer's plagiarism mean that Acharya is right? It doesn't.

Your hand-waving dismissals and semantics will not suffice.

Your angry cries of conspiracy against your newly found religious leader falls for deaf ears.

Properly dealing with semantics fare better than living the nightmare of another kind of extremism.

Are you religious Thor, or are you an atheist?

Great another home-schooled sociopath with a room temperature IQ that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about yet goes on and on. Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

"Our major problem with this issue aside from what looks like blatant plagiarism is the fact that some atheists hold nothing but contempt for Acharya's work; meanwhile, they actually agree with her thesis when her name isn't mentioned. Acharya has been abused and derogated by some atheists for years, including some from American Atheists who've been holding their noses at the mere mention of her name, even if they've never read her work. Yet, when someone copies her work wholesale, it's plenty good enough to post on the American Atheist website and every other major atheist website as well."

I'm a freethinking atheist mythicist.

Great another home-schooled sociopath with a room temperature IQ that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about yet goes on and on. Just stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Why are you talking so about yourself? It's sad to see someone with such low image of themselves.

"Our major problem with this issue aside from what looks like blatant plagiarism is the fact that some atheists hold nothing but contempt for Acharya's work; meanwhile, they actually agree with her thesis when her name isn't mentioned. Acharya has been abused and derogated by some atheists for years, including some from American Atheists who've been holding their noses at the mere mention of her name, even if they've never read her work. Yet, when someone copies her work wholesale, it's plenty good enough to post on the American Atheist website and every other major atheist website as well."

Well, I'm glad that I'm not one of them. As I said many times before, which you never read (or perhaps can't understand) is that I think she's right about some things, or actually many things. So, then, obviously, I'm not one of the people the quote above is talking about. Good quote mining btw. Good job.

I'm a freethinking atheist mythicist.

Oh, freethinking even. Impressive.

Are you a balanced thinker to understand that some people (including Acharya S) can be right about many things and yet be wrong about a few things, or do you pick sides and defend them vehemently without ever considering the options?

Is your view that Acharya S is right about 110% in everything she says because and atheist lawyer plagiarized her?

So if some other atheist lawyer quotes some other historian that disagree with Acharya S, will you change your view then? Probably not, right? And why's that? Because you don't judge based on what some atheist lawyer thinks, but because of what you have read on your own. Right?

Are these things above your intelligence and necessitate me to bring it down to disyllabic words only? Or is it okay for you?

Your angry cries of conspiracy against your newly found religious leader falls for deaf ears.

Properly dealing with semantics fare better than living the nightmare of another kind of extremism.

Finally, I clued in that I have Thor confused for the level-headed old-timer, our Thurisaz from Germany, Warrior of Thor. Ouroborus does not talk like this to Thurisaz, nor does Thurisaz talk like this to Ouroborus.

For a moment there I thought the sky was falling.:twitch:

Finally, I clued in that I have Thor confused for the level-headed old-timer, our Thurisaz from Germany, Warrior of Thor. Ouroborus does not talk like this to Thurisaz, nor does Thurisaz talk like this to Ouroborus.

:HaHa:

Yeah. This wouldn't even happen with pretty much every member on this board, except this person. This is not the first discussion I have with Thor about this. It ends the same way each time. He says something. I disagree just a little. He go apeshit and call me names. I hand it back to him or just tell him to f* off.

He has a new religion. I'd call it Acharyaism. The disciples of this religion believe Acharya S (Murdock) is infallible and some form of modern prophet. She has a lot of good stuff to say, but the followers (believers) can't take one single criticism of her. If someone like me says just one single word of negativity about her, these disciples go bonkers. They blow a top. They scream, yell, and shout from the rooftops that the Anti-Acharyan Conspiracy has corrupted our minds and we need to repent!!! It's almost like God doesn't have a first begotten son anymore, but rather, it's a daughter named Archarya.

:HaHa:

Yeah. This wouldn't even happen with pretty much every member on this board, except this person. This is not the first discussion I have with Thor about this. It ends the same way each time. He says something. I disagree just a little. He go apeshit and call me names. I hand it back to him or just tell him to f* off.

He has a new religion. I'd call it Acharyaism. The disciples of this religion believe Acharya S (Murdock) is infallible and some form of modern prophet. She has a lot of good stuff to say, but the followers (believers) can't take one single criticism of her. If someone like me says just one single word of negativity about her, these disciples go bonkers. They blow a top. They scream, yell, and shout from the rooftops that the Anti-Acharyan Conspiracy has corrupted our minds and we need to repent!!! It's almost like God doesn't have a first begotten son anymore, but rather, it's a daughter named Archarya.

Ive read a bit of her, and I agree with alot of what she has to say, but she comes off as, ummm, i dont know how to say it...sensationalizing things? What she says may very well be the truth (I believe it is) but she presents it in a "Fox News" kinda way that makes me question why she wouldnt go a more scholarly route. I believe what I read from her was "The Christ Conspiracy"...

Ive read a bit of her, and I agree with alot of what she has to say, but she comes off as, ummm, i dont know how to say it...sensationalizing things? What she says may very well be the truth (I believe it is) but she presents it in a "Fox News" kinda way that makes me question why she wouldnt go a more scholarly route. I believe what I read from her was "The Christ Conspiracy"...

True. She's posturing and have the attitude that she's 100% right in everything, and nothing she can ever think or know could be even slightly wrong in any sense, and her followers are just the same. She's just a new "Christ" to them. They gave up one fundamentalism for another.

I saw correlations between the Bible and other religions long time before she wrote her books. Other people have seen it too. The first one who saw it lived about 1,800 years ago. It's not new at all what she's writing, and most critique against her has nothing to do with the connection between pagan religions and Christianity, but just about some particular details. But both she and her followers go totally bananas and engage in guerrilla war (yes, it's a pun :grin). I find it difficult to take something serious unless they can be somewhat level headed and balanced. There's no balance in this Murdock Movement--it's all or nothing. Either accept everything Acharya says or you're an enemy.

Ouroboros "Either accept everything Acharya says or you're an enemy. "

That's a lie - you are just a prick moderator constantly making derogatory comments intending to inflame. You need to check yourself. You've been wrong about Acharya and her work most of the time because you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. You always start this juvenile shit with me - same as you did in the other thread:

You're just a troll and you should be fired from being a moderator here. How old are you like 9? Much of what I've seen from you in my own threads here is just insulting comments, lies and smears and I'm sick of it. I'm reporting you because you're just an asshole saying stupid crap like this and many more like it:

Ouroboros "He has a new religion. I'd call it Acharyaism"

I find you to be an extremely offensive loud mouth wretch. This forum would be far better off without you.

Ha. Me, too.

P

Thor,

Acharya/Murdock is an adult by all accounts. When that person feels that their person and integrity is assaulted, they are free enough to come here and defend such.

By being a dick to Ouroboros the only thing you accomplish is a quick push towards the egress of ExC's front door.

I'm not requiring you to "be nice". Big However is that you may disagree and argue sans the rancor and bullshit you are trying to toss around.

"Either accept everything Acharya says or you're an enemy. "

There is no either/or with you Acharya fans. If you don't fully concur with the good Prophet Murdock, you are less than a used condom.....

Lighten up Bubba.

That is not a suggestion.

kevinFuckin'L

That's a lie - you are just a prick moderator constantly making derogatory comments intending to inflame. You need to check yourself. You've been wrong about Acharya and her work most of the time because you don't have a clue what the hell you're talking about. You always start this juvenile shit with me - same as you did in the other thread:

You're just a troll and you should be fired from being a moderator here. How old are you like 9? Much of what I've seen from you in my own threads here is just insulting comments, lies and smears and I'm sick of it. I'm reporting you because you're just an asshole saying stupid crap like this and many more like it:

I find you to be an extremely offensive loud mouth wretch. This forum would be far better off without you.

I for one find your response proof positive that those who called the followers of AcharyaS to be "Fan Boys" a completely undeserved characterization! Shame of them. Nothing could be further from the truth!

:lmao:

Ban Hans?

:lmao::funny::lmao:

Didn't I have you for some midnight snacks while I was in Chicago that one week a couple months ago?

too funny. :lmao:

I can't stop laughing.... :HaHa:

The observation:

But both she and her followers go totally bananas and engage in guerrilla war (yes, it's a pun :grin). I find it difficult to take something serious unless they can be somewhat level headed and balanced. There's no balance in this Murdock Movement--it's all or nothing. Either accept everything Acharya says or you're an enemy.

and now the proof:

A xtian in a different suit! :lmao:

The observation:

But both she and her followers go totally bananas and engage in guerrilla war (yes, it's a pun :grin). I find it difficult to take something serious unless they can be somewhat level headed and balanced. There's no balance in this Murdock Movement--it's all or nothing. Either accept everything Acharya says or you're an enemy.

and now the proof:

Yeah, but a very special kind of xtian. I'm mean, this is like a blinding devotion to some prophet or something that an offense against the prophet is an offense against God and deserving of retaliation! I know fundis, but this is scary fundi stuff. Like what could devolve into this:

14amman184.jpg

Acharyahu Akbar!!!

You know, despite my reasoned impressions of her, I might be willing to reconsider if the fan boys weren't so clearly ravenous. Nothing inspires me to reconsider my thoughts after witnessing these sorts of blind devotional zeal.

Keep it coming. You're proving my point.

I kept my calm and responded quite nicely in that topic you're referring to. You were the one who spun out of control and started to spit fire and venom. So, please, yes, everyone should read that thread and see who's the real troll here. The person who screams "TROLL" every time someone disagrees with him, or the person who tries to find a balance.

Pfft. Me loudmouth? If that hurts your ears, then you'd explode when I raise my voice. You haven't heard me loud yet. (No, seriously. When I go loud, the walls shake and people flee the scene.)

You're just a small sensitive ant. I'd squish you if I put my little finger on your neck. You tiny speck of nothing.

(Keep on feeding me. I'm hungry. And I'm having fun!)

Yes. A monkey suit.