Goodbye Jesus

American Atheist Plagiarizes Acharya's Work?

Guest Scott Hall

Have you read Tom Harpur's book, The Pagan Christ? Harpur isn't trying to use Jesus mythicism to get rid of Christianity but while Harpur doesn't believe in a historical Jesus, Harpur himself is a Christian theologian and an Anglican priest who advocates Cosmic Christianity as a reformation of the religion.

Too bad it's not on Kindle. I'm such a kindle-whore now. I can't read a book unless it's digital. :vent:

Surely this is proof that AM never existed and AM is just a plagiarism of paganism.

Plaganism? :shrug:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Antlerman

• Rev R

• R. S. Martin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He has a new religion. I'd call it Acharyaism. The disciples of this religion believe Acharya S (Murdock) is infallible and some form of modern prophet. She has a lot of good stuff to say, but the followers (believers) can't take one single criticism of her. If someone like me says just one single word of negativity about her, these disciples go bonkers. They blow a top. They scream, yell, and shout from the rooftops that the Anti-Acharyan Conspiracy has corrupted our minds and we need to repent!!! It's almost like God doesn't have a first begotten son anymore, but rather, it's a daughter named Archarya.

Where have I been? I never met this bunch. Doesn't sound like I missed much. His posts sound downright infantile--bashing the supermoderator for trolling!?!?!?#%{:content:}amp;#1

He is not worthy of the name he has chosen for himself, to say the least.

The reason I even looked at this thread is because I thought it was started by Thurisaz. And I figured if it's by him then it's worth looking at. Bad mistake on my part.

I've never read Acharya other than what she's got online. I can't speak for her level of research and insight. In her journal or blog or somewhere she did say that she does not have more than a BA or MA (I forget which), but she thinks she can do just as good work as if she had a full education.

I know from experience that you can't. A BA is just enough education to make you feel over-confident and look down on PhDs. Without more researching of her work, I'd guess that is what happened with her, but I can't be sure.

I know from experience that you can't. A BA is just enough education to make you feel over-confident and look down on PhDs.

:HaHa: So true.

I'll probably be called a troll by saying this, but the thing is, she has not really arguing anything new. There have been many others in the past saying the exact same things as Acharya. I have on my screen a Kindle version of the book "The Truth about Jesus: Is He a Myth?" by Mangasar Mugurditch (I'm not sure when it was printed, but it must be late 19th century or early 20th)

And what does the book suggest? It suggests that Egyptian religion, Mithra, astrology, etc, influenced Christian theology. Same idea, but written in a book 100 years ago.

You know, despite my reasoned impressions of her, I might be willing to reconsider if the fan boys weren't so clearly ravenous. Nothing inspires me to reconsider my thoughts after witnessing these sorts of blind devotional zeal.

Have you read Tom Harpur's book, The Pagan Christ? Harpur isn't trying to use Jesus mythicism to get rid of Christianity but while Harpur doesn't believe in a historical Jesus, Harpur himself is a Christian theologian and an Anglican priest who advocates Cosmic Christianity as a reformation of the religion.

I haven't but I did look at what he is about in his books. That his emphasis is to re-mythologize Christ and not to debunk it for the sake of getting rid of Christianity is somewhat besides the point. He himself rehashes Kuhn, Higgens, and Massey, which is weak scholarship. I remember the first time just out of the blue I cam across Massey and was rather 'wow' about it, until I turned off my interest in finding yet further flaws in Christianity and turned on my desire to be balanced instead of religious in this quest and applied critical thought to him. These folks aren't recognized in Egyptology as serious scholars, and moreover there are glaring flaws in what they present and how the approach them.

As far as Hapur himself goes, just from that very brief glance at what he is attempting to do in rejecting the old Christian mythology in favor of some new, updated re-mythologizing of the Christ would be an interesting topic in and of itself. In his own right he seems to be doing what Joseph Campbell was doing in recognizing the power of myth in its archetypes, and in saying that our world today needs some new hero myth of sorts, etc. Very interesting approach worthy of a topic discussion. You should start one on that. I'd enjoy it.

That Hapur isn't seeking a negative in debunking Christianity, and has entirely different motives, doesn't change the fact that the scholarship is still flawed. As one reviewer of his book said, it's not about the myths or scholarship, but Hapur's person journey of faith. Funny thing, I'll bet Hapur wouldn't necessarily throw a temper tantrum if someone pointed out to him that Massey was flawed. :)

He has a new religion. I'd call it Acharyaism. The disciples of this religion believe Acharya S (Murdock) is infallible and some form of modern prophet. She has a lot of good stuff to say, but the followers (believers) can't take one single criticism of her. If someone like me says just one single word of negativity about her, these disciples go bonkers. They blow a top. They scream, yell, and shout from the rooftops that the Anti-Acharyan Conspiracy has corrupted our minds and we need to repent!!! It's almost like God doesn't have a first begotten son anymore, but rather, it's a daughter named Archarya.

Where have I been? I never met this bunch. Doesn't sound like I missed much. His posts sound downright infantile--bashing the supermoderator for trolling!?!?!?#%{:content:}amp;#1

Me too. Never heard of Acharya. First heard the name & thought it was a Hindu. I am getting an education here with this thread.

I can't even remember the last time I saw someone go off like this on Hans.Read that other thread now, just unbelievable.

I can't even remember the last time I saw someone go off like this on Hans.Read that other thread now, just unbelievable.

Back then, I did some research and found Thor on other forums. He acts just the same way with other people who disagrees. It's his defense mechanism. He can't accept to be wrong, and his method to convince other people is by lashing out.

He's free to come here and post, but he must be ready to take it the same way as he hands it out.

You're a troll! You're a troll!!! *screaming* *cursing* *spitting* You can't say Jesus as Egyptian pagan mythologists are wrong! Because my author is a much more educated person than your author! *stamping my foot* *slamming the door* :grin:

You're a troll! You're a troll!!! *screaming* *cursing* *spitting* You can't say Jesus as Egyptian pagan mythologists are wrong! Because my author is a much more educated person than your author! *stamping my foot* *slamming the door* :grin:

Oh god, does this mean you're going to report me as a bad moderator who needs to be beaten with rods and sent out into the wasteland?

So what other thread are they talking about?

Oh god, does this mean you're going to report me as a bad moderator who needs to be beaten with rods and sent out into the wasteland?

Oh, I will report you alright. I will report you to a super-moderator, like me... only problem is that I have to ban myself too. So I'm in a dilemma here. I know... If we both bring up the ban-buttons at the same time, and we ban each other on the count of three. Would that work?

This one: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?/topic/34775-newly-updated-the-origins-of-christianity-free-e-book/

He talked about Acharya, and I just indicated it's important to be a little cautious. That's all. Suddenly, I found myself to be categorized as some evil mastermind behind the anti-acharya movement and ruining his wonderful thread with my trolling.

Isn't it sweet when these "balanced freethinker" runts come here and behave like barking chihuahuas from hell?

Oh, I will report you alright. I will report you to a super-moderator, like me... only problem is that I have to ban myself too. So I'm in a dilemma here. I know... If we both bring up the ban-buttons at the same time, and we ban each other on the count of three. Would that work?

It might be simpler if we simultaneously banned the AcyhraFundi Fan Boy, but I think he provides an amusing source of entertainment away from the work of real discussions, like the strange curiosity that comes from watching a devil dog getting a bath.

I wonder if he wears a Horis head at one of the Acyhra conventions for Fan Boys, or some other favorite Egyptian custom? (You have to be careful not to walk into the Stargate convention by mistake thinking they are the same).

This one: http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?/topic/34775-newly-updated-the-origins-of-christianity-free-e-book/

He talked about Acharya, and I just indicated it's important to be a little cautious. That's all. Suddenly, I found myself to be categorized as some evil mastermind behind the anti-acharya movement and ruining his wonderful thread with my trolling.

Ahh yes, I remember his antics when I dared to challenge his goddess in some other thread. God forbid we question divine authority!

Wow, no wonder that organizer from the Rational Response Squad referred to them as Fan Boys. It really fits.

It might be simpler if we simultaneously banned the AcyhraFundi Fan Boy, but I think he provides an amusing source of entertainment away from the work of real discussions, like the strange curiosity that comes from watching a devil dog getting a bath.

Ban him at the same time? Oh, no. We can't do that. It would create a time continuum paradox. I think. We might risk divide something with zero. :eek:

I wonder if he wears a Horis head at one of the Acyhra conventions for Fan Boys, or some other favorite Egyptian custom? (You have to be careful not to walk into the Stargate convention by mistake thinking they are the same).

Haha! Priceless!

Ahh yes, I remember his antics when I dared to challenge his goddess in some other thread. God forbid we question divine authority!

That's why I believe they see Acharya as a their divinely inspired prophet. They adhere to her teachings like Christian fundamentalists adhere to the Bible. Her words are infallible.

Wow, no wonder that organizer from the Rational Response Squad referred to them as Fan Boys. It really fits.

Oh, I think that's where I saw his discussion. They were taking a balanced view on it too, and Thor went chihuahua on them.

Every time someone says "Fan boys," I think of English grammar. It would reduce them to mere conjunctions in language, and not part of the material content. :) (FAN BOYS = For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So)

---

I just thought of something else here. My position (as I've stated many times) is that I don't think Acharya is completely wrong. But how did the Christian faith get so mingled up with pagan symbols and ideas? What I realized that if we treated ideas like memes, and took the concepts from evolution theory, we could actually construct the process based on what I'd call meme mutations, meme drift, meme flow, and natural selection of memes. Perhaps I will come back to this at a later time, but it seems like the flow of ideas, conglomerated into the orthodox church, could be explained in these terms. Hmm... maybe I should write a book and make money from it? :HaHa:

Damn. It actually can be. Paul's mission and the destruction of Jerusalem would be examples of founders effect. The influence of other pagan beliefs would be meme flow. The Roman persecution of sects would cause meme drifts. And the church finally setting the FDA approval stamp on specific dogmas and create orthodoxy would be selection. I wonder if any scholar or historian has done the argument for this yet?

Me too. Never heard of Acharya. First heard the name & thought it was a Hindu. I am getting an education here with this thread.

I can't remember when or how I first "found" Acharya S. I've been on her mailing list off and on, and even got an ebook from her once. I wasn't impressed by the scholarship of that ebook but I assumed her "real" books would be better. Never bought any, though, because I didn't feel I had the extra money.

What I meant that I didn't know about was this Fan Boy club that followed her.

Also, I didn't know that anyone would label Hans a troll. That just about blew me away. Basically, what it does is tell me a lot about the troll that does it. Nobody in his right mind calls Ouroborus a troll. That means this Thor guy is not in his right mind, right?

Right.

I guess I could be wrong. The poor guy might not have a mind to be right in.:shrug:

I'm reading up on the Norse god Thor. He seems to be an entity to be reckoned with. It is my feeling that the person on these forums who takes Thor's name as his own has a lot of living up to do. Thor will not do it for him. Thor is not a Jesus meek-and-mild.

I just thought of something else here. My position (as I've stated many times) is that I don't think Acharya is completely wrong. But how did the Christian faith get so mingled up with pagan symbols and ideas? What I realized that if we treated ideas like memes, and took the concepts from evolution theory, we could actually construct the process based on what I'd call meme mutations, meme drift, meme flow, and natural selection of memes. Perhaps I will come back to this at a later time, but it seems like the flow of ideas, conglomerated into the orthodox church, could be explained in these terms. Hmm... maybe I should write a book and make money from it? :HaHa:

Although I believe in a historical Jesus, I do believe Christianity has been influenced by paganism but not in the way the Jesus Mythicists believe. I think there is legitimate influence from pagan myths on the bible beyond the usual Jesus/Horus comparisons that strangely never get talked about by most Jesus Mythicists. Like most biblical scholars who believe in a historical Jesus also believe the Israelites were originally polytheistic pagans from Canaan and that the bible god is a composite of Yahweh and El from the Canaanite pantheon and the Israelites even believed Yahweh had a goddess wife. Even stories in the Christian bible are clearly lifted from the Hebrew scriptures, like the virgin birth myth is clearly a Jewish midrash on the Exodus account. There's plenty of similarities between Christianity and other myths and genuine influences on the bible that are far more fascinating than exaggerating comparisons with Egyptian mythology that seem to rarely get brought up in discussions by Jesus Mythicists.

Hmm... maybe I should write a book and make money from it? :HaHa:

Damn. It actually can be. Paul's mission and the destruction of Jerusalem would be examples of founders effect. The influence of other pagan beliefs would be meme flow. The Roman persecution of sects would cause meme drifts. And the church finally setting the FDA approval stamp on specific dogmas and create orthodoxy would be selection. I wonder if any scholar or historian has done the argument for this yet?

Just checking whether I've got it straight. So you're taking Dawkinsian biological scientific memeology and wrapping it in HanSolo Orange County philosophy and selling it as......what?

Philoscienology? ( = philosophy-science-theology)

Careful not to call it philoscientology--keep out the "t"--because that would mean "I love (philo) scientology."

Or what about this: Theosophosci (pronounced: theo-sofo-sigh) for theology-philosophy-science. But that is too close to "theosophical" for "Theosophical Society." Maybe we should fit "meme" in there somewhere...

Perhaps I will come back to this at a later time, but it seems like the flow of ideas, conglomerated into the orthodox church, could be explained in these terms. Hmm... maybe I should write a book and make money from it? :HaHa:

If you do, I shall defend you my Lord with honor.

SG.jpg

SG.jpg

And what the heck is that? :scratch: A robot chicken?

SG.jpg

It's Jesus in his pre-incarnate state.

It's Jesus in his pre-incarnate state.

Jesus was a robot chicken in his pre-incarnate state? :)

post-246-042851900 1287860125_thumb.jpg

That's a Horus guard from the Stargate Movie!! Haven't watched that film in years...maybe I will tonight!

That's a Horus guard from the Stargate Movie!! Haven't watched that film in years...maybe I will tonight!

The Horus guard did look a bit like robot chickens. :)

Just checking whether I've got it straight. So you're taking Dawkinsian biological scientific memeology and wrapping it in HanSolo Orange County philosophy and selling it as......what?

Careful not to call it philoscientology--keep out the "t"--because that would mean "I love (philo) scientology."

Or what about this: Theosophosci (pronounced: theo-sofo-sigh) for theology-philosophy-science. But that is too close to "theosophical" for "Theosophical Society." Maybe we should fit "meme" in there somewhere...

Hansology of course.

Hansology of course.

Let's see..."ology"="study of." So Hansology="study of Hans." Uuuh, crooooakk, I'm almost falling asleep. Maybe I'm not making any sense...

Let's see..."ology"="study of." So Hansology="study of Hans." Uuuh, crooooakk, I'm almost falling asleep. Maybe I'm not making any sense...

It was more like "Han Solo gy," if you remember my previous member name. :)

Thanks to all the posters here joining in "Ouroboros's" juvenile HATE SPEECH against an individual female who is courageously trying to better the world. There is absolutely nothing on topic here even prior to post 12. This thread simply proves my point.

The jealousy and misogyny here are out of control - if Richard Dawkins or anyone else said the exact same things Acharya S did, many here would be just fine with it. But, because it comes from Acharya, you can't handle it - you must attack her personally with all kinds of smears, lies and insults. And, of course, you have to attack anyone else who has actually studied this subject as well as her work, and knows for a fact that many of the criticisms launched against her are inaccurate or flat wrong.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves - but that might be asking too much from people who have no conscience. Is this what leaving Christianity has done for you, turned you into a bunch of rabid, vicious slanderers of people you don't even know?

I'd say your ex-Christianity has made NO improvement in your mental state whatsoever. You are as nasty and hateful as fundamentalist Christians. It's no wonder no one intelligent ever comes in here.

Please, carry on with your hate fest against an individual female - it shows your true colours. As pointed out by atheist David Mills:

"...D.M. Murdock/Acharya S, like all authors on controversial subjects, has many critics. But they all share one commonality: They don't know what they're talking about. Murdock understands many languages and has a breadth of knowledge her critics cannot match. This fact irks the uninformed. Having given a fair hearing to some of her online detractors and their "rebuttal" videos, I have detected not only a lack of knowledge on the part of her critics, but also, in some cases, a thinly disguised misogyny."

- David Mills, atheist best-seller author of "Atheist Universe" in his review of Who Was Jesus

^You need to chill out.

I just now looked into this thread and I'm not seeing anyhting that merits that kind of outburst.