Goodbye Jesus

Which Religions Embrace Science And Mathematics?

Striving for Logic

A) I'm curious which religions embrace science and mathematics.

B) Which religions don't frown upon seeking knowledge?

There seem to be so many religions that are fearful of knowledge, so many stories, Pandora's Box, Adam and Eve, etc. that religions try to use to keep people from seeking outside knowledge and being distrustful of knowledge.

Also, there have been so many conflicts between religionists and scientists.

Are there any relgions that say it's okay to seek knowledge (outside of religious knowledge) and that also accept the study of science and mathematics? And were there, in history, such religions?

Are there any relgions that say it's okay to seek knowledge (outside of religious knowledge) and that also accept the study of science and mathematics? And were there, in history, such religions?

Christianity.

Most have at some point. Christianity, as Doc pointed out. Islam, while "alchemists" in Europe were still trying to turn lead into gold, was mapping the stars for seafaring. Hindu mathematicians invented 0 in a mystical addition to their numerology. Mayans took a break from sacrificing slaves to create one of the most accurate calendars in the world.

Science and mathematics don't seem to develop because of or in spite of religion. They just kind of happen. Someone can have a good idea, regardless of what strange impulse it comes from.

Science and mathematics don't seem to develop because of or in spite of religion. They just kind of happen. Someone can have a good idea, regardless of what strange impulse it comes from.

Well said.

Christianity.

Precisely. Galileo and Newton were ardent Christians for instance.

From what I know of it, Buddhism is not opposed to modern scientific findings. There is a cosmology in Tibetan Buddhism that does not conform to modern science, but it may be taken figuratively or metaphorically. Although not the head of Buddhism by any means, the Dalai Lama is very influential and has a strong and well known interest in science.

Deva, I still think the idea of pratītyasamutpāda or dependent arising is so similar to the concept of entailment that the emerging systems sciences would be very compatible with Buddhism.

For what it's worth, I haven't met a single Asatruar either who claimed that science and maths are bad things. Well on a personal level maybe, like "I just suck at maths so there!", but other than that... ;)

Thanks. I've found in my experience that the Christians I've known whether Catholics or Evangelicals have been really against seeking knowledge. If they didn't have the answer they said to "accept that God works in mysterious ways" and if you ask more questions they say that it's bad form to ask such questions. I've gotten the impression that it's "bad" to think for oneself from such Christians.

In more extreme cases, I've known evangelicals who scoff at scientists, even scoffing at evolution and dinosaurs. They've even distrusted being friends with non-Christians.

Christian Scientists promote science.....well science fiction. Haha.

Thanks. I've found in my experience that the Christians I've known whether Catholics or Evangelicals have been really against seeking knowledge. If they didn't have the answer they said to "accept that God works in mysterious ways" and if you ask more questions they say that it's bad form to ask such questions. I've gotten the impression that it's "bad" to think for oneself from such Christians.

In more extreme cases, I've known evangelicals who scoff at scientists, even scoffing at evolution and dinosaurs. They've even distrusted being friends with non-Christians.

Those people are... well... those people are idiots.

There are plenty of religious people who trust science and plenty of non-religious people who distrust science. It's all a frame of mind.

There has been a distinct anti-intellectual strain in American Evangelical circles for a long time.

There has been a distinct anti-intellectual strain in American Evangelical circles for a long time.

It's growing more and more, especially among the right (I would even venture to say exclusively on the right). It's a control mechanism designed to keep people from venturing into unofficial modes of thought and thinking--control of the masses. It's quite sickening.

ETA: I just noticed, all of my sentences start with "it's". I'm certainly not feeling very creative. :P

Thanks. Yeah, I've noticed it, too! I would have thought that as a society we move forward, but it seemed like we had more advanced, intellectual ideas a few decades ago in the U.S., and now so many of us are falling prey to outdated thoughts and ideas. It IS powerful, because I didn't think it could happen to me. I thought I'd left the religion and all its nonsense behind. But I got sucked into it, at least I got sucked into the fear part of worrying about it, and the worry wreaking havoc in my life.

I think there ought to be a new phrase called Christian Terror Syndrome and Post Christian Stress Syndrome to explain how we can get triggered into fear created by the religion even though we rationally know we shouldn't worry about it.

Christianity.

Unfortunately Galileo's faith was paid in kind by the religious authority figures with prison. Who dare sayeth that the Earth revolves around the Sun! Lunacy! Preposterous!

Christianity.

Unfortunately Galileo's faith was paid in kind by the religious authority figures with prison. Who dare sayeth that the Earth revolves around the Sun! Lunacy! Preposterous!

Yeah, there is that.