Goodbye Jesus

Obama To Appear On Mythbusters To Promote Science

Neon Genesis

Yay for science! http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/obama-takes-science-push-to-mythbusters/

President Obama, following up on last fall’s White House “ astronomy night” (above), is hosting a science fair at the White House today. Aides say he plans to honor students of all ages for pushing the boundaries of understanding of the world around us and announce that he has taped a segment for the popular show “ Mythbusters.” Details will be posted later this morning on the White House science and technology page. At the tail end of this post, you can read some background issued by the press office overnight.

Interesting timing, right before mid-term elections.

A good start... but I wouldn't trust the politicians in Washington to expressively promote science unless it is needed for weapons R&D or competing with those Commies. I'd say if we turned the Capitol's Dome into an observatory and staffed it with some astronomers we'd be making more progress than all of the legislators inside combined. :grin:

Prez. W was rumored to have recorded one for Mythbusters as well.

He asked Adam and Jamie to bust the evolution myth.

I'm kidding of course, but I wouldn't have put it past him. :)

A good start... but I wouldn't trust the politicians in Washington to expressively promote science unless it is needed for weapons R&D or competing with those Commies. I'd say if we turned the Capitol's Dome into an observatory and staffed it with some astronomers we'd be making more progress than all of the legislators inside combined. :grin:

Agreed with all but "A good start." Politicians promote only "science" that serves a political purpose, and that is not always defense or "world image" competition--and for sure not always real science.

Politics corrupts everything it touches.

While it may be a 'good start' it still is nowhere near enough to promote science. If he wanted to really promote science he would take all of the funding away from the faith-based initiatives and send it towards science programs. But, alas, that would be political suicide.

While it may be a 'good start' it still is nowhere near enough to promote science. If he wanted to really promote science he would take all of the funding away from the faith-based initiatives and send it towards science programs. But, alas, that would be political suicide.

I second the motion to do away with "faith based" (screwed up) initiatives and fully fund scientic research and the space program! How is this not a priority???