Goodbye Jesus

What In Your View Constitutes "successful Deconversion"?

Guest wasachristian

I would think that if a person chooses to still believe in a god of some sort, that would not be a bad thing...as long as they kept their belief to themselves rather than trying to sell it to others.

As a "silly superstitious" theist, I can say I've never done such a thing. Not even as a christian (I felt I wasn't "saved", so I couldn't remove the mote, etc.). I don't fear hell, I am most certainly not christian, and I discuss my beliefs only when asked (and sometimes not then!). And I never talk about them in the sense of "well, I know X, and you should believe in X because Y." I find it all rude and silly, and my beliefs don't have a "grand commission" attached.

I am most certainly an Ex-C. Just not an atheist. :)

• Like 1

You can laugh at dick jokes about Jesus.

Talk about being hung on a cross. ;)

I didn't read all the responses so I'll probably cover some of the same things.

I can think of many signs that one has completely deconverted. The biggest one for me is whenever I am exposed to a really moving and charismatic preacher. And I can listen and realize that this person is really good at what he does and, in the past, he would have been able to temporarily sway me. And I am not swayed at all but see it for what it is. I can think of many others:

When the fear of hell becomes as ludicrous as a fear of purring kittens.

When someone confronts you about Christianity and you have no shame or embarrassment when you tell them you're not one.

When sleeping in on Sunday (or doing something else you enjoy doing instead of going to church) no longer seems like a luxury -- it is just another weekend day.

When you find yourself smiling at the one other person in a room who hasn't bowed their head at someone's prayer request... and you both smirk and shrug while looking at everyone else.

When you can go to the store and buy "family planning" or sexual supplies without feeling like you're dirty or should be ashamed for needing/wanting them.

When you say something and have people take a step backwards (to avoid the lightning) and it takes you a moment to realize that what you said was blasphemous. [This one happens all too frequently to me because I have a very weak mental filter.]

When something really horrible happens in your life (like when we found out my mom had cancer) and it never occurs to you to pray.

And so on...

Basically, you know you're officially successfully deconverted when religion, or the lack thereof, ceases to have any meaning in your life. You aren't arguing it with people. You're not worried about it. You just have put it behind you like you did with Santa Claus after you found out the truth.

In my personal opinion, being able to lay down at the end of the day, whether it's always easy or not and being able to be at peace with who you are and your beliefs. When the conflicting and painful thoughts are for the most part gone and you can be confident in your lack of Christianity.