Goodbye Jesus

The Christian God Erases Memories?

ThunderPooch

I believe it is stated that God will erase the memories of those in heaven. this is so they won't experience grief for those who are "lost" to Hell or soul destruction etc. i simply can't worship a god like this who manipulates us and withholds the truth. i don't believe in this God, but as christians who do believe in this concept of memory erasing how can you be sure that you haven't already lived in another world, died, and this is purgatory, or hell, etc. a god who erases memories to protect us from grief is unethical. i personally want the truth, the whole truth, so i know just what the ultimate reality of god and life is.

i'm a materialist and a deist who believes that memory is only erased due to natural processes. we live, we die, and given enough time we enter into a new conscious being. god can also then if he chooses let us enter a new world or heaven etc. however, the memory of others is not erased because our fellow loved ones are now suffering in "Hell" due to unbelief.

to withhold the truth because the truth is so awful is immoral. it reminds me of a parent who goes in the back room to beat a child. if people are suffering in hell, the people in heaven have a moral right to know. i say they have a right because if god is moral he wouldn't withhold information. he would be completely transparent. to hide his nature and activities from us is abhorrent. a god who manipulates deserves no worship or respect.

i'd rather go to hell and have the whole truth, then to be in fantasy land in heaven with only half truths.

Maybe it's the memories that creates our Hell? And the state of bliss is just a spiritual vegetative state. :scratch:

A lot of christians believe that, but I don't recall a bible passage that actually says that. If anyone knows of one, feel free to share it.

There is the statement in Revelation that gawd will wipe away their tears, but that's tears, not memories.

And there are passages in the OT saying that the memories of the dead will be forgotten, but that's talking about the individuals being forgotten by future generations.

I don't know of a bible verse that says that, but I have encountered the idea, and it always pissed me off. Why would it be heaven if I don't get to remember my good times? Maybe I've always been too much "of the flesh" for this to be a comfort.

The thing that pissed me off worse about this god is that he lied in Genesis to Adam and Eve. And withheld information about the Tree of Life. What a dick. But your thoughts on covering up his hell-torture also applies.

The more I hear about this god, the more I dislike him.

Maybe it's the memories that creates our Hell? And the state of bliss is just a spiritual vegetative state. :scratch:

That's what I was taught (not in the same words, but basically the same idea). Scared the crap out of me actually.

Zombies4jeebys

• 2 months later...

I've actually never heard that at all in my upbringing, and I seriously doubt it actually says that anywhere in the Bible. I wouldn't consider this a real problem with Christianity, since it's not Christian doctrine... just seems like something some pastor or mom somewhere came up with to avoid having to say "I don't know."

Reminds me of the discussion about the problem of suffering, and whether or not there was free will in heaven.

If we somehow have free will in heaven, but WISH TO DO NO EVIL, because we've CHOSEN God here on earth, and it's irrevocable, how are we able to keep from doing evil with no memory of the time on earth?

How are we supposed to experience heaven as good, if we don't have previous experiences of evil to compare it to?

edit: Damn, Arial Black is a good font :D