Goodbye Jesus

Christiantity is sooooo a religion

seeker

I'm so tired of hearing Christians say that Christiantity is NOT a religion....BULLSHIT!!!! If I'm Catholic I have to say Hail Mary's/Our Fathers, yada yada....etc....Muslim pray 8 million times a day facing Mecca....etc....Buddhist sit and meditate trying to give up all my desires...all the while desiring to be enlightened!!!! (whole nother arguement)...etc...and if Im Christian I have to accept (isn't accept a verb? implying that your doing something?) Jesus as my savior, and then I have to pray, and don't do this and don't do that....(RULES!!!!).....Why is that so FUCKING HARD TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH

O and if the response is "Well no you don't HAVE to do those things"...then I'll say your not being a true Christian then!!!! I keep hearing that bullshit too..."Well all Christians fall or fail at some point...but you keep trying because you have already been forgiven"......

SOOOOO you have to keep DOING things even when you fall/fail??? YOUR STILL FOLLOWING RULES THEN!!!! BULLLLSHIIITTTT....sorry but I'm steaming right now.

Agree.

Christianity of any sorts is a religion. Because a religion constitutes a set of rules and regulations. It has a specific dogma and creed that it follows. Of course any Christian can claim that their religion is also a relationship, but it is still a religion.

Only way for it to become a non-religion is that make it agnostic, let it fall into doubt and uncertainty. If any Christian go to a church and heed to their pastor, they are in effect a religious person. Only if the Christian leaves Church, becomes a heretic and believe whatever he wants, on his own, without the support and indoctrination from leaders or any human authority, could they claim it to be solely a relationship with God himself.

O and if the response is "Well no you don't HAVE to do those things"...then I'll say your not being a true Christian then!!!! I keep hearing that bullshit too..."Well all Christians fall or fail at some point...but you keep trying because you have already been forgiven"......

SOOOOO you have to keep DOING things even when you fall/fail??? YOUR STILL FOLLOWING RULES THEN!!!! BULLLLSHIIITTTT....sorry but I'm steaming right now.

Sounds like you've been interacting with a evangelist again! :HaHa:

Agree.

Christianity of any sorts is a religion. Because a religion constitutes a set of rules and regulations. It has a specific dogma and creed that it follows. Of course any Christian can claim that their religion is also a relationship, but it is still a religion.

Only way for it to become a non-religion is that make it agnostic, let it fall into doubt and uncertainty. If any Christian go to a church and heed to their pastor, they are in effect a religious person. Only if the Christian leaves Church, becomes a heretic and believe whatever he wants, on his own, without the support and indoctrination from leaders or any human authority, could they claim it to be solely a relationship with God himself.

Thank you Hans!!! I don't know WHY thats so hard for these Christians to understand!!!

Whoa, Capslock, take a couple deep breaths.... :HaHa:

I'm doing some buddhist breathing excersies...haha...my shrink taught me them...8 second exhales and 4 second inhales....of course I guess I'm going to hell for using a practice that helps calm my emotions and allows me to make more rational dececions...all because it stems from a false idol.....ARGGGGG....BULLLLSHHHIIIITTTTT!!!!!

I think their rationale is

Christianity is not a religion.....it is the TRUTH and proper way for all people. It is much more than a mere belief system.....it is the ONLY proper way.....

Doesn't this kind of thing make you wish you could spontaneously vomit whenever you want to? Like all over an evangelists suit?

I suppose if you REALLY wanted to get a point across, you could claim you were raised by wolves, then take a dump in the fundie's shoes.

"It's not a religion! It's a relationship!"

Um.... sure...

If you say so. :scratch:

I'm doing some buddhist breathing excersies...haha...my shrink taught me them...8 second exhales and 4 second inhales....of course I guess I'm going to hell for using a practice that helps calm my emotions and allows me to make more rational dececions...all because it stems from a false idol.....ARGGGGG....BULLLLSHHHIIIITTTTT!!!!!

Speaking of calming emotions...

You might wanna give those exercises a try about now.

If I am asked if I am religious I have to reply "yes." To answer yes to this question one has to understand what religion is and what religious is. most Xians have no idea what a religion is. They assume automatically that it is bad, that to be religious you lose your relationship with Christ.

"relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity "

The sad part of this discussion is not that people deny they are religious, it is they have no idea what religion is.....

It's always humorous to hear Christians deny the religiosity of their beliefs. All they're doing is trying to distance themselves from what they perceive as a negative connotation. Some apologists act as though it's derogatory. Ray Comfort, for example, likens being called "religious" to a black man being called "the N-word".

And of course, like Mr. Comfort, Christians who deny that they are religious will waste absolutely no time turning the word into a weapon against atheists and scientifically minded people. How many times have we heard "evolution is a religion"? Yeah...

most Xians have no idea what a religion is. They assume automatically that it is bad, that to be religious you lose your relationship with Christ.
It's very interesting that you brought that up. That was the very first topic talked about on this week's Bible Geek program on FreethoughtMedia.com. I think you might find it interesting. It's episode 7.

Incidentally, it was my question being read on the air that sparked the conversation.

If I am asked if I am religious I have to reply "yes." To answer yes to this question one has to understand what religion is and what religious is. most Xians have no idea what a religion is. They assume automatically that it is bad, that to be religious you lose your relationship with Christ.

"relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity "

The sad part of this discussion is not that people deny they are religious, it is they have no idea what religion is.....

Very true. The criticism I have against many Christians is that no only they lack a lot of knowledge about things, but they keep on defending their ignorance with pride, instead of taking a honest grip on the issue and do a bit of studying.

They assume automatically that it is bad, that to be religious you lose your relationship with Christ.

Well at least that explains why so many christians insist that humanism and atheism are religions. :shrug:

Very true. The criticism I have against many Christians is that no only they lack a lot of knowledge about things, but they keep on defending their ignorance with pride, instead of taking a honest grip on the issue and do a bit of studying.

They all just barf out the bumper sticker sayings.

Jesus is the answer

It's a relationship, not a religion

John 3:16

and more, lots more, and if you order now...

Jesus is the answer

the old saying is "Ignorance is bliss" I guess the other is "Follow Blindly" I was also tired of "bumper sticker theology" of Xians claiming one thing but acting a different way. I do not blame God for this, its entirely mans fault! The one that bugs me the most is "God will supply all my needs",

I will say God does supply all our needs, but sometimes it involves us getting a job!!

Look, I understand that you guys are getting hit a lot by bible thumpers who have little or no knowledge of thier own faith let alone what you believe. I am here for intelligent conversation, plus it makes me dig more into my beliefs....all in all it can be good for everyone!

ric

If it was a relationship and not a religion, why do christians spend so much time telling each other that the other one is wrong? How can there be any "wrong" way to do a relationship? Razor has his relationship. Daniel has his. Tap has hers. Each has their own, and they are all different.

If christians believed it was a relationship, then they should respect the "relationship" of the other christian being different than theirs. But that isn't the way it is. The least little differentiation in doctrine or interpretation, and off they go, arguing about who's right..

Actually, christianity isn't a religion. It's 2 billion religions.

2 things:

You're right. It's bumper sticker theology, or in other terms, marketing spin to get the heathens in (attempt at a point of difference, etc. though I'm sure Muslims say the same thing about Islam)

When a Christian says "It's a relationship, not a religion," I think they are trying to convince themselves that this is true more than anyone else. Given that they spend all day every day practicing their religion, it takes a lot of effort to maintain that sort of cognitive dissonance.

You know the old saying, "If it looks like a duck..."

Jesus is the answer

And it must have been a Christian who invented Caps Lock, since they all enjoy using that button during the cliche' regurgitations!

JESUS is the REASON for the SEASON!

God must be real, or they wouldn't have all those nifty phrases.

Only if the Christian leaves Church, becomes a heretic and believe whatever he wants, on his own, without the support and indoctrination from leaders or any human authority, could they claim it to be solely a relationship with God himself.

I think that would constitute religion as well, all be it one with many less followers, i.e., one. Unless a god is actually produced, any "relationship" with said being would have to be considered religion. My .02.

When I see the bumper sticker JESUS IS THE ANSWER

The only question I can come up with is: Name one of the Alou brothers

When I see the bumper sticker JESUS IS THE ANSWER

The only question I can come up with is:  Name one of the Alou brothers

Heh. I'm more interested in the question to the answer.

42!

Yeah, I think it is some kind of attempt to keep Christianity from looking like "just another religion" and to assert the (alleged) truth of their position.

I'm getting sick of that cliché too, though.

Heh. I'm more interested in the question to the answer.

42!

:woohoo:

It's just a (dishonest) marketing tactic that they use to differentiate christianity from

other religions. They want to paint other religions to be about nothing more than

liturgy and ritual, whereas christianity puts gawd in your social network. With gawd

in your social network, you've got "connections" that will now somehow make you

rich and happy beyond your wildest dreams. Basically, it turns christianity into the

Amway of religions.

Of course, when you join up, you find out that even the most bare-bones, fundified

version of christianity has its liturgy and rituals, whether it's baptism or laying of

hands or making public testimonials or whatever. Even the act of going to church

every Sunday is a ritual. They're just hoping you won't notice because you're so

obsessed with gawd increasing your income by 50%, curing your gallstones, getting

you a hot babe for a wife, etc.

The whole thing is just another fib.

:ugh:

Yes, Christianity is a religious structure.

There are many, many different denominations, but it's essentially one religion.

It never ceases to amuse me when some fundie nutjob tells me that he or she isn't religious, he or she is Christian, and I can point out to them exactly WHY it's a religion. Of course, the phrase that just burns my biscuits is, "But didn't you used to be Catholic, not Christian?"

Hello, asshat, Catholics are Christians. Their denominational theology is just different from yours.

But then, there's so much argument amongst all the denominations, where's the ecumenical spirit Christianity is supposed to foster amongst its believers?

And just because there's supposed to be a relationship involved between the Christian and Jesus, that makes it not a religion? How is the relationship between the Christian and his Jesus any different from an adherent to any religion involving the worship of a deity? I call bullshit on that opinion. It's still a religion. It's just a matter of WHICH religion you choose to adhere to, if you choose to adhere to a religion at all.

Oh, and just for the record? My favorite reply to the pithy, "The Lord will provide," is always, always, "God helps those who help themselves, so get off your ass and start helping yourself before asking a deity to do for you what you won't do."

The fundies around here are really starting to hate me...oh well. I just tell them they're persecuting me for my belief in logic, and watch 'em do a slow burn as they try to figure THAT one out.

I'm so tired of hearing Christians say that Christiantity is NOT a religion....BULLSHIT!!!! If I'm Catholic I have to say Hail Mary's/Our Fathers, yada yada....etc....Muslim pray 8 million times a day facing Mecca....etc....Buddhist sit and meditate trying to give up all my desires...all the while desiring to be enlightened!!!! (whole nother arguement)...etc...and if Im Christian I have to accept (isn't accept a verb? implying that your doing something?) Jesus as my savior, and then I have to pray, and don't do this and don't do that....(RULES!!!!).....Why is that so FUCKING HARD TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHH

Well Yes Buddhism is a religion, but it's not a fundamental evangelical faith. Buddhists expect people to take there own path and only offer Buddhist teachings to enhance the experience of your own religion. I know a few Buddhist Christians, that as soon as they incorporated Buddhism to their belief, they stopped peaching and eventually turned to the belief of collective conscienceness. For me Buddhism was a relief.