The Begining Of Hell!

Wade

During Thanksgiving I was in my hometown to go visit my relatives.

I drove by the church I grew up in and seeing it brought up some memories I hadn’t thought about in a long time.

Even though it has been a long time, I remember very vividly the first time I was brainwashed with the fear of hell. It was so powerful that it took me over 30 years to shake.

I was 5 years old in Sunday school class.

First they separated the boys from the girls.

Then they had us spread our chairs apart so we weren’t sitting close to one another.

They then turned off the lights and had us close our eyes and told us not to open them

One the female adults then went into a long description of the “possibilities” of hell.

She told us to imagine the worst thing possible, the things we fear and can’t stand the most. She then gave us some examples. She led us though this “guided vision” I don’t remember them all but I do remember the ones that stuck with me.

I pictured myself being chained to a concrete wall, unable to move, as demons burnt and tortured me with hot iron picks.

We had to sit and the dark and imagine the worst thing imaginable. We were told that it would come true “forever!” if we did not accept Jesus into our heart RIGHT NOW! And since we now know about hell if we were to die today we would go there.

When we were finally allowed to open our eyes, we were asked who accepted Jesus. Of course all of us held up our hand except for one new kid who was sitting there crying.

He was taken into another room where I hear them ask who his parent where.

He left that day and I never saw him again. I assume he told his parents and they didn’t bring him back.

This was the beginning of my fear of hell that kept me trapped for most of my life.

I am not sure what the point of posting this is, therapy I suppose. I am just still shocked that adults can systematically brainwash small children like that and think that it’s the right thing to do.

I guess the end justifies the means.

That is horrible.

Anyone tells my kids that I will probably get medieval on their ass.

• Like 1

I second Jabb's sentiment there, and I don't have kids! That's fucking psychological abuse. Those sick fucking bastards.

I want to kick their asses right now.

Guest I Love Dog

I am persevering in my attempt to get the UN to ban the teaching of hell to children, by all religions as child abuse.

It is sick and dangerous and has crippled many people, well into adulthood. It is a heap of nonsense that should be stopped.

I can SO relate! As a kid, one of my pastors had retired from evangelistic work so nearly every sermon ended with hell fire description. I remember crawling around at night because God told me to do so, to stay out of hell. If I heard kids screaming at play in the distance, I imagined they were people in hell. I dreamed that the grocery store floor opened up and some guy standing right beside me went down alive straight into hell. I spent my childhood and teen years feeling like I was damned on the top side of the dirt. I feel shaky just sitting here typing about it, and I'm 39 now. I asked someone who has some psychology in his background if these stupid flash-backs ever end. He replied that I'll have triggers from time to time. Yeah, it totally sucks.

I don't understand why we let this kind of thing go on. It's not like we're just exaggerating or just upset because we don't like a certain group of people. What they did to us and are still doing to children is a crime and should be taken to court.

Just because this country has a strong religious background doesn't give people the right to do this to children. It's a form of abuse. Emotional abuse is the worst kind. Yet we think it's 'the way it is and can't be changed'? I can't believe that.

That was outright mental child abuse.

That is why every time a relative or friend talks about taking their children to to church I just cringe.

I can't really talk them out of it, they are not my kids.

But it does bother me knowing the same type of thing might be happening to someone else.

But it does bother me knowing the same type of thing might be happening to someone else.

Wade,

My only consolation is that a lot of churches (even some fundy ones) don't go nuts over the hell thing. I took it as a good thing when I found Hell's Bells on my kid's MP3 player. I can't listen to that song.

WOW THATS STR8 UP CHILD ABUSE...sorry you went through that.

I went to a Christian Boys Camp for out door stuff, it was like the Cub scouts I was 10. The Christian scout leader told us all kinds of things about hell, I spoke up and told him there is no such place...I was told not to come back if I wasnt able to accept Jeezus and Hell and the Devil and all...

but that doesnt even come close to your exp.

I was introduced to the concept of hell at the age of five as well. My grandfather told me about it. Next time I went to church, I went down for salvation. As an 11 or 12 year old, I went to a camp where they told us that there was only one way to get into heaven and if you had asked God into your heart and backslid, you were screwed. You only got ONE chance! So you can imagine at 11 or 12, I'd already felt like I'd backslid multiple times. I remember crying and crying and crying and BEGGING God to please give me ONE more chance. That was a horrible week at camp for me.

freedom