Goodbye Jesus

It's All Our Fault

PandaPirate

I went to church with my mom on Saturday night. I don't really mind so much, it's non-denominational. Not as bad as going to a baptist church with your boyfriend believer.

So, the pastor tells everyone that, "WE CREATED A PROBLEM and God had to find a way to fix it so he sent Jesus."

Now, I could dig it if the pastor said, "GOD CREATED A PROBLEM SO HE SENT HIMSELF IN HUMAN FORM to apologize for creating such evil twits as ourselves." That would sound a little more logical.

But since we didn't make ourselves, since we are the product of random biological sexual pairing, how in the HELL could I be responsible for SIN?

• Super Moderator

"Non-denominational" doesn't mean palatable or logical. Religion is religion is religion.

Yep, and it's designed by committee over time, with memes in it persisting if they gain adherents and get passed on to the following generation...it's not consistent or logical from the start; if there's a need for a rationalization on some point, an artifice will likely arise...I think Daniel Dennett explores this idea in "Breaking the Spell".

"Non-denominational" doesn't mean palatable or logical. Religion is religion is religion.

Non-Denominational wasn't the point of the post. The only reason I mentioned it was because they don't SCREAM at you like the baptist preachers.

The point I'm making is that it's completely irrational for any Christian (and they ALL believe this) to think WE did something wrong. If their GOD made us then ultimately HE is responsible for everything that happens as a result of that creation, especially since he supposedly knows everything that will happen in the future.

I just can't believe people who are otherwise smart (my mom has an IQ of 150) can buy into this crap.

One day soon I'm just going to bite the bullet and tell my mom I'm not Christian anymore. But that can't happen right now. My sister killed herself and mom just got over breast cancer. I don't want to upset her right now.

The point I'm making is that it's completely irrational for any Christian (and they ALL believe this) to think WE did something wrong. If their GOD made us then ultimately HE is responsible for everything that happens as a result of that creation, especially since he supposedly knows everything that will happen in the future.

I just can't believe people who are otherwise smart (my mom has an IQ of 150) can buy into this crap.

One day soon I'm just going to bite the bullet and tell my mom I'm not Christian anymore. But that can't happen right now. My sister killed herself and mom just got over breast cancer. I don't want to upset her right now.

Yes, we did something wrong merely by being born human. If we weren't so screwed up, the whole atonement thing would make no sense whatsoever, not that original sin does either. Its a big mess, and it seems like two seconds of thinking would wipe it away completely. Unfortunately most people hear this stuff from childhood and it still sounds reasonable. Beats me.

Sorry about your sister and your mother's situation.

Oh, so we created the problem? ! ? The bibull seems to indicate that The Snake/Satan tempted man. As I see it god didn't do a very good job protecting his children. Wasn't the forbidden fruit temptation enough? Apparently not, no god had to allow the most evil being in existence to tempt man.

I don't even try to argue it anymore.

• Super Moderator
I don't really mind so much, it's non-denominational. Not as bad as going to a baptist church

Sorry I missed your point. The implication to me was that you thought non-denominational wasn't as bad as some other churches. Don't know where I got that.

Turns out they all say some dumb things. I see differences in style but not basic content. Anyone adept at cognitive dissonance can believe any of them.

BTW, under the circumstances, "biting the bullet" is the kind thing to do. Good luck.

It's not just a Christian phenomenon. Many a religion comes at you from the perspective that man is flawed and needs the gods, incantations, rebirths, good karma, whatever to advance to the next world, heaven, nirvana, etc. It's all absurd.

I don't really mind so much, it's non-denominational. Not as bad as going to a baptist church

Sorry I missed your point. The implication to me was that you thought non-denominational wasn't as bad as some other churches. Don't know where I got that.

Turns out they all say some dumb things. I see differences in style but not basic content. Anyone adept at cognitive dissonance can believe any of them.

BTW, under the circumstances, "biting the bullet" is the kind thing to do. Good luck.

Baptist is the worst.

According to them, women suck and we all deserve to be yelled at and we all deserve to go to hell.

non-denoms don't SCREAM during church. that's the difference i guess.

It's not just a Christian phenomenon. Many a religion comes at you from the perspective that man is flawed and needs the gods, incantations, rebirths, good karma, whatever to advance to the next world, heaven, nirvana, etc. It's all absurd.

I agree. I was interested at one point in Buddhism, until I realised that it is just as victim-blaming as christianity. If someone is suffering intense misfortune, it must be because of some evil they committed in a past life, hey? So they are further punished by other's belief that they brought their suffering on themselves. Any misfortune is therefore seen as evidence of an earlier evil they perpetrated.

All religion is filth. Religion destroys lives.