Goodbye Jesus

Had someone say the funiest thing to me

Kuroikaze

Ok, so I'm in my american history class and we are discussing Washinton's farwell address. If you've read it you know he says some stuff that is kinda offensive towards athiests/agnostics. Like we should be skeptical of the idea that morality can exist without religion.

Anyway, I was discussing this with some other students in the class, and naturally it came up that I already had a degree in religion. For one thing, I was one of only 2 people in my group who could actually read and understand the farwell address, I had spent most of the time explaining what was being said to the other memebers of the group. The rest of them kinda just had stunned looks on thier faces.

So anyway as we are discussing this it came out that I had a B.A. in religion, so of couse others in the group asked me what I believed. I told them I was agnostic.

This is where it gets funny. One of the other students says "Well at least your not an athiest"

I wanted to laugh and get angry at the same time. Basicly I just let it go, knowing that she clearly didn't understand either agnosticism, athiesm or my personal beliefs in the subject. Still, I wish people would at least try to understand where I'm comming from instead of saying things that are clearly offensive.

It also made me laugh, here are these people who could barely understand what Washington was saying in his address. I had just spent 20 minutes explaining what he was saying to them, all the while knowing they probably only understood half my explanation anyway. And then they seemed to take a superior attitude simply because they were thiests and I was not. I kept quite but on the inside I was lauging hard at how stupid the situation was. :lmao:

This is where it gets funny.  One of the other students says "Well at least your not an athiest"

I wanted to laugh and get angry at the same time.  Basicly I just let it go, knowing that she clearly didn't understand either agnosticism, athiesm or my personal beliefs in the subject.  Still, I wish people would at least try to understand where I'm comming from instead of saying things that are clearly offensive. 

When they asked you what you believed in, you should have said SATAN! :Duivel7:

That's what most of them equate agnostics/atheists as, anyway. Confirm their worst fears!

Seriously, that is pretty fucked up. Shows you we have a hard road as apostates/heretics. Everyone's ready to believe the worst about us. :rolleyes:

I think people who say stuff like that are just brainwashed to be prejudiced, and really have no clue what they are saying. I mean, honestly...it's like telling someone "at least you have white skin" or "at least you are American." They really have no idea how they come across.

I agree with your post. People take a superior attitude, and more so when they know less.

Maybe you should have replied back with "Well it's good that at least you're not a satanist." :grin:

Kuro..

Washington's Farewell is a good study..

The goHwd Skwad uses it as *proof* that Geo. Washington "was some form of xtian".

Not so. (History of GW's preferences is well known)

Fun to fork with fundies who insist on demanding that the Founders were xtian.. :)

kL

Kuro..

Washington's Farewell is a good study..

The goHwd Skwad uses it as *proof* that Geo. Washington "was some form of xtian".

Not so. (History of GW's preferences is well known)

Fun to fork with fundies who insist on demanding that the Founders were xtian.. :)

kL

Yeah if Washinton was a christian he most certainly wasn't fundy. For one thing he refused to take communion. Also many of his closests friends said he was athiest.

Washinton himself was silent in all of his writings about what, if any, religion he believed in. I think he, knowing that he was the first president, didn't want to seem like he was endorsing a particular religious view for the entire country.

Of couse fundies just alter history and pretend he did anyway.

I agree with your post. People take a superior attitude, and more so when they know less.

Maybe you should have replied back with "Well it's good that at least you're not a satanist."  :grin:

I read TSB back in 1989 and my FIL's family, we don't see them much, always asks me how their favorite Communistic Satanist is doing. Communistic since I told them I vote Libertarian.

One guy who I know since 1989, but don't see all that often, calls me Devilman when he sees me. It's amazing, 16 years later and these people don't miss a beat.