The David Crowder Band?

Anyone know about the David Crowder Band? I saw them on a xtian friend's FB page and immediately thought of Dave Matthews Band and how xtian music is usually always a clone of some popular secular band. So I went to their wiki page, and they have a similar lineup, violin, some woodwinds, etc. I'm wondering if they sound like them too, or if the resemblance is just superficial?

Don't get me started. Xtian radio finds mediocre groups that don't totally suck (ie they can play their instruments). Most of these bands are only in the xtian market because they can't make it in the secular one. Xtiam radio also plays secular bands that have a neutral message, such as The Fray.

Yeah, it's almost always pretty mediocre stuff, in retrospect.

Even as a Christian, I detested the David Crowder Band and other outfits like them who employed a stereotypical repertoire of guitar-led worship songs. It was never my favorite style of music, but I also could sense a profound lack of creativity within the whole genre...a whole bunch of artists appealing to the lowest common denominator instead of reaching for the best in musicianship & continually cultivating their talents. I guess that's what sells though...:Wendywhatever:

I was actually a big fan of David Crowder Band. I thought they were the most original of all the cookie-cutter worship music. (i.e. matt redman) They actually made music that was outside the box, they did weird artistic things, they played with sounds and structure. They still had a commercial element to them, but I always found their music something I would listen to just for the sake of the music.

My biggest pet peeve was Chris Tomlin. We sang each new "hit" he made in church. I remember the day I realized that all his songs had a formula that caused people to believe that his songs were "annointed". Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge (Insert insane holy ghost orgasmic build up) and chorus, chorus, chorus. Gag me. It's a bunch of emotional garbage. bleh

freeom

My biggest pet peeve was Chris Tomlin. We sang each new "hit" he made in church. I remember the day I realized that all his songs had a formula that caused people to believe that his songs were "annointed". Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge (Insert insane holy ghost orgasmic build up) and chorus, chorus, chorus. Gag me. It's a bunch of emotional garbage. bleh

freeom

I totally agree, he was one of the worst. And every fucking song used words like glorious, holy, magnificent. Like he lost his thesaurus after the first album and just decided to wing it.

Yeah, it's almost always pretty mediocre stuff, in retrospect.

Even as a Christian, I detested the David Crowder Band and other outfits like them who employed a stereotypical repertoire of guitar-led worship songs. It was never my favorite style of music, but I also could sense a profound lack of creativity within the whole genre...a whole bunch of artists appealing to the lowest common denominator instead of reaching for the best in musicianship & continually cultivating their talents. I guess that's what sells though...:Wendywhatever:

I was actually a big fan of David Crowder Band. I thought they were the most original of all the cookie-cutter worship music. (i.e. matt redman) They actually made music that was outside the box, they did weird artistic things, they played with sounds and structure. They still had a commercial element to them, but I always found their music something I would listen to just for the sake of the music.

OK, I figured they had a crappy worship band quality about them, but do they sound like they are ripping off the DMB? Cause the name certainly invokes them, and the wiki article even hinted they joke about it themselves.

The xtian owner of the recording studio I sometimes work at told me once that xtian bands purposely copy secular bands to offer kids an "alternative". He told me his own band was modeled after Matchbox 20. It explains why xtian music is devoid of any passion...

It's a shame they are copying Dave Matthews Band, but even then it's probably a really poor copy, how do you copy one of the most original and talented bands in the world? I saw them live a couple months ago and they were phenomenal...maybe if the David Crowder Band is copying DMB they might stand out from the usual xtian music crowd.

But I agree most xtian music is a copy of secular music, or made up of a bunch of bands that can't make it in the secular music industry...Ever notice how a few xtian bands will finally break out into the secular music industry and never look back?

It's a shame they are copying Dave Matthews Band, but even then it's probably a really poor copy, how do you copy one of the most original and talented bands in the world? I saw them live a couple months ago and they were phenomenal...maybe if the David Crowder Band is copying DMB they might stand out from the usual xtian music crowd.

But I agree most xtian music is a copy of secular music, or made up of a bunch of bands that can't make it in the secular music industry...Ever notice how a few xtian bands will finally break out into the secular music industry and never look back?

This is a bit too subjective to treat it as any kind of evidence. I used to listen to both DCB and DMB and never caught any similarities. Especially since Dave Matthews is almost excusively acoustic with some exceptions and DCB is not.

Also, just because one guy says that xian bands copy from secular doesn't make it the case. It's easy to draw comparisons between secular bands as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean they copied. Every artist has their influences, but that isn't the same thing.

Also, I do think that most christian music sucks and is unoriginal, but is it only talent that would cause them to break into the secular world and never look back? You can't know each bands personal ambition when it comes to their career. A lot of them can be perfect content in their niche, as well as the fact that religiously themed lyrics automatically remove it from secular contention. Its just not a very accurate judge of the point you're making.

How the fuck did I get sucked into defending christian music?? Haha

This is a bit too subjective to treat it as any kind of evidence. I used to listen to both DCB and DMB and never caught any similarities. Especially since Dave Matthews is almost excusively acoustic with some exceptions and DCB is not.

Also, just because one guy says that xian bands copy from secular doesn't make it the case. It's easy to draw comparisons between secular bands as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean they copied. Every artist has their influences, but that isn't the same thing.

Also, I do think that most christian music sucks and is unoriginal, but is it only talent that would cause them to break into the secular world and never look back? You can't know each bands personal ambition when it comes to their career. A lot of them can be perfect content in their niche, as well as the fact that religiously themed lyrics automatically remove it from secular contention. Its just not a very accurate judge of the point you're making.

Haha, no I completely understand what you are saying, I used to listen to a lot of Christian rock as a kid and early teenage years...I'm unfamiliar with the David Crowder Band, so I shouldn't have been too quick to judge on that (I'm a big DMB fan)...but over the years I did see how a lot of Christian bands would copy secular music, and in many ways copy secular music trends as well. I suppose if that's what they want to do than more power to 'em. The lack of originality (not talent) is what eventually made me just switch to listening to secular music, even while I was still religious. I'll admit I generalize most Christian music when making that point, I'm sure there are many Christian bands out there that are original, but from what I have seen they usually aren't (or rather weren't) the most popular.

Isn't that what most half-assed small time bands do? Ape the notable groups/artists of their respective genre, I mean. I've really found that originality is in short supply.

I'm understanding what you are saying, but otoh, I'm not basing my statement "xtian bands just copy secular bands" from what one xtian told me. His statement is, for me, proof directly from the horses mouth. He confirmed something I noticed from my earliest forays into music, and I think it explains perfectly why xtain music is devoid of much passion and originality.

I grew up in the mid to late 80's, and that was the xtian rock I listened to. That said, Stryper was pretty original, in that I can't say exactly what secular groups they were copying, esp since a lot of hair bands, secular included, were ripping each other off back then. But my favorite xtian rock band of the 80's, Whitecross, was a total rip off of Ratt. Bloodgood, another xtian metal band, was very similar to early Judas Priest. Although I never listened to Creed (I had de-converted before they came around) when they did hit the airwaves, I not only heard them trying to be Pearl Jam, their big single (I forget what it was now) was so similar to Pearl Jams "Black" I sat down with my guitar and discovered it used the same chord progression.

I also want to say that influence is different that copying. I am a musician and songwriter, and it is fair to say that I if I worship anything, it is Paul McCartney. He is just hands down my favorite songwriter of the modern era. People will listen to my music and may tell me it sounds "Beatles-y", but nobody tells me "It sounds just like "Lady Madonna" or something similar; mostly because I'm always making sure I'm not re-writing someone else's work. I write melodious pop music because thats what I like, but I don't sit down and say to myself "Gee, those Beatles guys used drugs, promoted Mediation and think they're bigger than jesus! I think I'm gona write music so kids have an alternative that sounds just like the Beatles, but glorifies christ instead of humanity." I may use some of the same instruments or techniques the Beatles used, but that is their influence on me. I draw inspiration from everything around me, and always let the song write itself. In fact I have a collection of music I've recorded that I never play to anyone, because I hear someone like Ceiline Dion singing it and not me. But the song came to me so I wrote and recorded it, whether it is something I consider good or not.

The songs write themselves in true inspiration, but most xtian music seems to start with the concept, and the songs are written to fit that concept, much like how Creationism and ID "science" operate...