Goodbye Jesus

The Sins Of Jesus

NoGods

Here is a list of sins I think Jesus committed:

One: Condoning Slavery

He was the son of god and he did not know slavery was wrong or at least did not condemn it. This fact alone allowed Christian based slavery to thrive for almost two millennium. Jesus praises a slave owner for his "great faith" but says nothing to him about owning another human being. In several parables he uses slaves and slavery as an example, even including a punishment justification. Nowhere does Jesus say slavery is wrong, or at the very least discourages it.

Two: Lying and deceit

In John 7:6-8 Jesus lies saying he would not go to the festival, but ends up going anyway in secret. Today, we call this deception. Apologists say it's not lie, but not only did he say he was not going, he hid the fact he did go. In any court of law this would be a lie or a purposeful deception.

Three: Not honoring is parents

In Luke, Jesus stays behind in Jerusalem to talk in the temple. As a child I would have been punished severely for this. I will also add, Mary and Joseph were not very good parents.

Four: Witchcraft & magic

Jesus spit on the eyes of a blind man or made mud with dirt and spit and placed them on blind eyes. If any other person did this, it would be termed as magic.

In this list I do not take the Historical Jesus into account, just the known stories we have.

Many apologists will have 101 answers for any of these charges, but if it were any other person or any other deity/prophet from another religion, then they too would count them as sins. These people never take the "What's good for the goose" view.

What others can be added? It can be anything that if anyone else did it, then it would be counted as a sin.

If condoning slavery is a sin, where in the bible does it say so?

Judging Jesus based on our 21st century morality and not biblical definitions of sin, isn't going to work. Unless the God forbids slavery somewhere else in the bible, that I'm unaware of.

About the feast, he didn't attend the feast, like he said. He came up to watch it in secret, but didn't attend.

Dishonoring his parents: If they specifically told him not to stay but to follow them, it would be dishonoring his parents. Then he would have done opposite of what he was told. He simply wandered off/stayed in Jerusalem. I say according to the information in the bible, his parents were just really bad parents.

Witchcraft and Magic:

Are you kidding me? What sort of reasoning are you using here? It's an extremely subjective one. He does something YOU would describe as magic. Wouldn't all other miracles he performed be "magic-tricks" to you too? What about the mud and the spit makes it more magical and pagan?

Also, Christians don't acknowledge prophets of other religions. Jesus was the bona-fide son of God to them. He's allowed to perform miracles. I can't see what other sins he committed from what you wrote.

Since most of the accounts of Jesus in the bible were at the very least embelished and edited heavily, I have a hard time thinking that those editing the text would leave in any action of Jesus that would be considered a sin by the standards of their time. We don't see the real historical man in the bible.

On an aside, I actually hope the real Jesus was something like the man portrayed in the bible. Some of the things that he is attributed to having said make a lot sense. I did say SOME.

Judging Jesus based on our 21st century morality and not biblical definitions of sin, isn't going to work.

I think slaves during that era would strongly disagree with your assessment.

About the feast, he didn't attend the feast. He came up to watch it in secret, but didn't attend.

Dishonoring his parents: If they specifically told him not to stay but to follow them, it would be dishonoring his parents. Then he would have done opposite of what he was told. He simply wandered off/stayed in Jerusalem.

You're parents must have been pretty tolerant of you when you disappeared overnight before you were even a teen. Also, see video above.

Witchcraft and Magic:

Are you kidding me? What sort of reasoning are you using here? It's an extremely subjective one. He does something YOU would describe as magic. Wouldn't all other miracles he performed be "magic-tricks" to you too? What about the mud and the spit makes it more magical?

Tomato, Tomahto. Miracle to the xians, voodoo to the Haitians, witchcraft to the pagans.

Here's a question for you. Did Jesus masturbate? Did he ever lust after a woman? If not, could it mean his hormones were imbalanced? Given how restrictive xian theology is regarding sin, how do you suppose he avoided any and all types; even those he himself preached against?

Judging Jesus based on our 21st century morality and not biblical definitions of sin, isn't going to work. Unless the God forbids slavery somewhere else in the bible, that I'm unaware of.

It is true that slavery being truly wrong is a completely modern notion. But we are talking about the supposed son of god here. He should have known! If Jesus had said it was wrong, then my ancestors would not had a biblical leg to stand on. If me just thinking about wanking off was a sin, then NOT saying slavery was wrong was as well. Many people thought slavery was wrong before and after Jesus, hence all of the slave revolts.

Now for magic... Again, if he were the son of the one true god, then to heal them he would not have to do anything. Just think it, will it or wish it.

The rest I still stand on as a sin and as I said if any other person had supposedly did it, then they would have been held as sinning.

Since most of the accounts of Jesus in the bible were at the very least embelished and edited heavily, I have a hard time thinking that those editing the text would leave in any action of Jesus that would be considered a sin by the standards of their time. We don't see the real historical man in the bible.

On an aside, I actually hope the real Jesus was something like the man portrayed in the bible. Some of the things that he is attributed to having said make a lot sense. I did say SOME.

Yeah, I said they where only based on known stories and not the historical Jesus. I believe that we will never know the real him.

I hope that he was like the Q writings. Teaching peace and love. Whoever he was, he got caught up in the Roman machine.

The reason no Christian will accept that Jesus sinned is because he, being god incarnate, by definition could not sin since a sin is a violation of a known law of god and therefore he could not violate anything. All he had to do was redefine things for himself and he would be in the clear. That's the Christian apologetic on the subject, which is, of course, rife with self-contradiction. The only way one could think of Jesus as sinning is to look at him as a man and not as god. So, theologically Jesus was not and could not be a sinner no matter what he did or didn't do.

Now, if we look at Jesus as a man, and look at the biblical laws, then Jesus did sin by not honoring the Sabbath and he was repeatedly accused of this. However, from a theological standpoint, Jesus simply redefined the Sabbath laws to make what he had done okay.

Here is the law:

3 “‘There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a day of sabbath rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a sabbath to the LORD.

Leviticus 23:3.

Here is Jesus condoning the violation of this law. Notice how he conveniently redefines the Sabbath to allow his disciples to harvest of grain on the Sabbath. It is extremely difficult to think of harvesting grain as not being "work" for purposes of the Levitical law quoted above. View him as a man, and he violated the laws governing the Sabbath, but view him as god and anything goes:

23 One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. 24 The Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?”

25 He answered, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26 In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.”

27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Mark 2:23-28.

The reason no Christian will accept that Jesus sinned is because he, being god incarnate, by definition could not sin since a sin is a violation of a known law of god and therefore he could not violate anything. All he had to do was redefine things for himself and he would be in the clear. That's the Christian apologetic on the subject, which is, of course, rife with self-contradiction. The only way one could think of Jesus as sinning is to look at him as a man and not as god. So, theologically Jesus was not and could not be a sinner no matter what he did or didn't do.

Yeah, I know Christians think what Jesus did was all holy and just. They think he was justified and ordained in everything he did. I still stand though, if any other person did them then they would not be justified buy Christians. I know all Christians have this view, and I did as well for many years as a Christian.

Yeah, I know Christians think what Jesus did was all holy and just. They think he was justified and ordained in everything he did. I still stand though, if any other person did them then they would not be justified buy Christians. I know all Christians have this view, and I did as well for many years as a Christian.

Christians will let their god character get away with anything, but then condemn any person who commits even the most insignificant "sin" to hell for eternity. And I do agree, that if Jesus is judged as a man he did sin. We could debate what his sins were, but sin he did.

• 2 weeks later...

Slavery is a human establishment. Humans made humans slaves, not God. God won't forbid it as slavery is actually very meaningful in terms of His salvation. Without the concept of slavery you will never understand your own situation on earth.

Moses:

The Jews were slaves in Egypt (without the human establishment of slavery, the Jews and thus humans will never understand what slaves might be). Moses brought them out and to the promised land of Canaan, saving them from being slaves of the Egyptians.

Jesus:

Humans are slaves of sins bound in the "Egypt" called planet earth. Jesus will bring His sheep out and to the promised land of New Heavens and New earth, saving them from being slaves of sins.

That's the parallel based on the concept of a human establishment called slavery.

Slavery is a human establishment. Humans made humans slaves, not God. God won't forbid it as slavery is actually very meaningful in terms of His salvation. Without the concept of slavery you will never understand your own situation on earth.

Moses:

The Jews were slaves in Egypt (without the human establishment of slavery, the Jews and thus humans will never understand what slaves might be). Moses brought them out and to the promised land of Canaan, saving them from being slaves of the Egyptians.

Jesus:

Humans are slaves of sins bound in the "Egypt" called planet earth. Jesus will bring His sheep out and to the promised land of New Heavens and New earth, saving them from being slaves of sins.

That's the parallel based on the concept of a human establishment called slavery.

:lmao: wow is this a serious post?

I think not, noone could be quite this stupid.

Wow indeed.

Moses:

Jesus:

Meaningful? Owning another human being is meaningful now? That is insane. You are just plain wrong.

I will not even address the lack of evidence of a mass (or otherwise) exodus from Egypt ether. Or them ever being slaves there.

The Bible fully supports slavery without any condemnation of it in either the old or new testaments. In the OT, ***GOD*** gives written ordinances on obtaining, keeping and the treatment of slaves. He gave them to Moses along with others laws. The NT books fair no better with slavery. Jesus praises a slave owner for his "great faith" but says nothing to him about owning another human being. In several parables he uses slaves and slavery as an example, even including a punishment justification. Nowhere does Jesus say slavery is wrong, or at the very least discourages it. He did think being rich was wrong though. Go figure...

Paul said over and over for slaves to do their absolute best for their masters, especially if the master was a believer. He said for masters to treat their slaves fairly because they both of course have the same master in heaven. Paul never said slavery was wrong and even sent a possible runaway slave back to his master. In Paul's eyes a slave was the rightful property of the owner, just as the OT writers thought.

A slave's life could be taken without any punishment as long as they did not die the first day or so. If they did die right-away, the scriptures never said the owner would be killed for it, but would just be "punished". If god was smiling on the master and the slave died days later (or didn't die), then it was okay because it was their property after all. The Bible treats slavery just as any other culture of the time did, as a normal part of life, society and the economy.

It would be many years after the writing of the Bible that man would decide owning another human being was actually wrong. The horrible thing is, there are still over 20 million people in slavery around the world today, even in the United States.

Moses:

Jesus:

Meaningful? Owning another human being is meaningful now? That is insane. You are just plain wrong.

I will not even address the lack of evidence of a mass (or otherwise) exodus from Egypt ether. Or them ever being slaves there.

The Bible fully supports slavery without any condemnation of it in either the old or new testaments. In the OT, ***GOD*** gives written ordinances on obtaining, keeping and the treatment of slaves. He gave them to Moses along with others laws. The NT books fair no better with slavery. Jesus praises a slave owner for his "great faith" but says nothing to him about owning another human being. In several parables he uses slaves and slavery as an example, even including a punishment justification. Nowhere does Jesus say slavery is wrong, or at the very least discourages it. He did think being rich was wrong though. Go figure...

Paul said over and over for slaves to do their absolute best for their masters, especially if the master was a believer. He said for masters to treat their slaves fairly because they both of course have the same master in heaven. Paul never said slavery was wrong and even sent a possible runaway slave back to his master. In Paul's eyes a slave was the rightful property of the owner, just as the OT writers thought.

A slave's life could be taken without any punishment as long as they did not die the first day or so. If they did die right-away, the scriptures never said the owner would be killed for it, but would just be "punished". If god was smiling on the master and the slave died days later (or didn't die), then it was okay because it was their property after all. The Bible treats slavery just as any other culture of the time did, as a normal part of life, society and the economy.

It would be many years after the writing of the Bible that man would decide owning another human being was actually wrong. The horrible thing is, there are still over 20 million people in slavery around the world today, even in the United States.

Under the OT Mosaic Law, they still in the period of "an eye for eye, and a tooth for tooth". if the Jews are enslaved by the Egyptians (as you said this can be on a theological basis), then they can also enslave others.

In Jesus time, more commonly used examples are based on servant/master examples instead of slave/master examples, you are biased and without quoting the exact verses.

Guest Valk0010

A all powerful and all loving god, can find a way more loving way of doing things and achieving the goals of the bible without using the what he did according to the bible.

And somehow theology makes slaves okay, hell no, if its wrong, its wrong.

Moses:

Jesus:

hey peeps so uhm... since I don't quite believe you're intelligent enough i'm going to teach you a lesson by letting people abuse you and keep you as slaves for alittle while until you've learned your lesson. by the way you need to love me and accept everything I do or face punishment.

p.s. i love all of you. ~god

What a stupid fucking post you made to rationalize slavery, logic fail.

Moses:

Jesus:

Christards are this stupid.....

Under the OT Mosaic Law, they still in the period of "an eye for eye, and a tooth for tooth". if the Jews are enslaved by the Egyptians (as you said this can be on a theological basis), then they can also enslave others.

In Jesus time, more commonly used examples are based on servant/master examples instead of slave/master examples, you are biased and without quoting the exact verses.

Ummm...what?

If we buy this load of shit then these "times" overlapped. Mosaic Law was THE Law the Jews lived under while "jesus" was walking around doing his magic tricks and was the same Law he should have been living under as well in order to be nice and "sin" free. So if a stoning took place...well...guess who had no sin so he could toss that first stone each and every time? "Jesus!" Front of the line every time.

It's nice that you're trying to do the usual apologetic where you put the lipstick on the slave pig and make it seem like the "servant" is like "jesus" hired himself a butler or maid and then treated them better than they were hired to treat him, but that's not the case.

douÃlos, syÃndoulos, douÃleÒ, douleuÃoÒ, douleiÃa. All these words have to do with slavery. In distinction from parallel groups, they denote compulsory service, oikeÃteÒs comes closest, but it stresses the social position of the slave, while douÃlos stresses dependence on the lord.

Shoot. The cut and paste didn't quite work but as you can see from the this bit from my Bibleworks7 lexicon these words commonly translated to "servant" are all related to slavery.

The other word used, as in the story of the Roman soldier and his servant:

2. paiÃs. This word means “child” (usually “boy” but also “girl”), and with reference to descent “son,” or to social position “servant.” Another use is for a class, e.g.,

As you can see this word does work out differently. But this word is used far less often (as far as I can see in my very quick look just in relation to children or sons). So never in the sense you want it used.

The former appears to always be used in all the gospels so a master/slave seems to be what is intended in the original wording.

mwc

Well I know the bible and knowing it is one of he main reasons I am not a Christian any more. It sounds like you do not know the bible at all and have a very skewed view of it. For the verses I was "biased" on Read:

Exodus 21:2-11

Exodus 21:20-21

Leviticus 25:44-46

Matthew 8:5-13 & Luke 7:2-10 - There is ALSO a contradiction here. Did the Roman come to Jesus or did he send Jewish Elders/friends?

Ephesians 6:5, Colossians 3:22-23 & 4:1 & Titus 2:9-10

Philemon - Here, Paul never condemns Philemon of having slaves and he also sends the slave back to him. In sending him back, he actually ignores Deut 23.15 and Paul said he still followed and respected the law (see 1 Cor 9:20-21 & Romans 7:12) By Paul's "rules" you can't have it both ways. You ether go with the law or grace and Christ.

These are not the only examples of the "meaningful" life lessons of god.

Sorry, I forgot one example I hinted to in the other post: Luke 12:47-48 gives the example of punishment justification. This is slaves getting beaten, nothing more, nothing less. If you think it's "servants" like an employee, then you are very mistaken. Or.... If you have been beaten as an employee by your boss, then it must have been a tough place to work.

Moses:

Jesus:

If you had lived in my home state of South Carolina in 1860, with that kind of theological view of the benefits of slavery, you could easily have been elected governor. And that's no compliment, by the way.

Guest I Love Dog

Exodus 21:2-11

Exodus 21:20-21

Leviticus 25:44-46

Matthew 8:5-13 & Luke 7:2-10 - There is ALSO a contradiction here. Did the Roman come to Jesus or did he send Jewish Elders/friends?

Ephesians 6:5, Colossians 3:22-23 & 4:1 & Titus 2:9-10

Philemon - Here, Paul never condemns Philemon of having slaves and he also sends the slave back to him. In sending him back, he actually ignores Deut 23.15 and Paul said he still followed and respected the law (see 1 Cor 9:20-21 & Romans 7:12) By Paul's "rules" you can't have it both ways. You ether go with the law or grace and Christ.

These are not the only examples of the "meaningful" life lessons of god.

I think it shows that it's all in the interpretation and people see what they want to see in the bible.

Moses:

Jesus:

I'm sorry, but this just isn't about stupid. It sinks much lower than stupid to depraved indifference.

It is the worst possible usage of the idea of god using suffering to teach us lessons. This person doesn't realize the indignity, oppression and inhumanity of institutionalized slavery. There is no apparent feeling in the person's heart.

There were laws in the OT that regulate slavery. Apparently, god is somehow in control of how the Old Testament came about. If god is all-powerful and in control of history and he cared about human beings, there would have been no slavery. Not of the hebrew kind, not of the Roman or Greek kind and certainly not of the American kind.

Later on Hawkins brings out "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" - what a muddled, pre-adolescent line of reasoning. "THEY did it, so we get to too!"

Face it Hawkins. We all know slavery is morally wrong. Humanity has almost outgrown it. Your way of thinking is what holds humanity back. Get over it. Grow up and admit it. You need a Christianity 3.0 - - one that lifts humanity and doesn't hold it back. Preferably one without all that magic, supernatural mumbo jumbo. One that promotes goodness for goodness' sake and doesn't need the destructive presence of a bloated tribal deity.

• Like 1

Moses:

Jesus:

I'm sorry, but this just isn't about stupid. It sinks much lower than stupid to depraved indifference.

It is the worst possible usage of the idea of god using suffering to teach us lessons. This person doesn't realize the indignity, oppression and inhumanity of institutionalized slavery. There is no apparent feeling in the person's heart.

There were laws in the OT that regulate slavery. Apparently, god is somehow in control of how the Old Testament came about. If god is all-powerful and in control of history and he cared about human beings, there would have been no slavery. Not of the hebrew kind, not of the Roman or Greek kind and certainly not of the American kind.

Later on Hawkins brings out "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" - what a muddled, pre-adolescent line of reasoning. "THEY did it, so we get to too!"

Face it Hawkins. We all know slavery is morally wrong. Humanity has almost outgrown it. Your way of thinking is what holds humanity back. Get over it. Grow up and admit it. You need a Christianity 3.0 - - one that lifts humanity and doesn't hold it back. Preferably one without all that magic, supernatural mumbo jumbo. One that promotes goodness for goodness' sake and doesn't need the destructive presence of a bloated tribal deity.

Yes Oddbird, you are quite right - its such a perverse attitude that i failed to take it seriously. Its the same attitude that causes xians to say people deserve their misfortune, (earthquakes, hurricanes etc) because they do not follow a specific brand of xanity (whatever that brand is).