Goodbye Jesus

The Sins Of Jesus

NoGods

Yes Oddbird, you are quite right - its such a perverse attitude that i failed to take it seriously. Its the same attitude that causes xians to say people deserve their misfortune, (earthquakes, hurricanes etc) because they do not follow a specific brand of xanity (whatever that brand is).

DL,

I hope you don't interpret my words as a criticism. The attitude we are dealing with at once outrages and at once deserves laughter and scorn. I had pretty much the same reaction you communicated but then became dumbfounded by the writers' complete disregard for humanity and the consequences of his beliefs.

One that promotes goodness for goodness' sake and doesn't need the destructive presence of a bloated tribal deity.

He sees when you're sleeping.

He knows when you're awake.

He knows if you've been bad or good.

So be good for goodness sake!

HoHoHo!!!! Merrry Christmas!!!

He's bloated with cookies and milk, but he'll give you a smile and lots of cool stuff, if you're a good boy or girl! Even if you're bad, he'll give you some coal to keep you warm. :grin:

Slavery is a human establishment. Humans made humans slaves, not God. God won't forbid it as slavery is actually very meaningful in terms of His salvation. Without the concept of slavery you will never understand your own situation on earth.

Moses:

The Jews were slaves in Egypt (without the human establishment of slavery, the Jews and thus humans will never understand what slaves might be). Moses brought them out and to the promised land of Canaan, saving them from being slaves of the Egyptians.

Jesus:

Humans are slaves of sins bound in the "Egypt" called planet earth. Jesus will bring His sheep out and to the promised land of New Heavens and New earth, saving them from being slaves of sins.

That's the parallel based on the concept of a human establishment called slavery.

"God won't forbid it as slavery is actually very meaningful in terms of His salvation. Without the concept of slavery you will never understand your own situation on earth."

So since slavery is a good thing according to you, humanity should reinstitute slavery? Do you hear yourself?

Dishonoring his parents: If they specifically told him not to stay but to follow them, it would be dishonoring his parents. Then he would have done opposite of what he was told. He simply wandered off/stayed in Jerusalem. I say according to the information in the bible, his parents were just really bad parents.

I'd like to see the 'Queen' get away with this! Jesus - the son of God - The God in the flesh - had bad parents? Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Now I don't feel so bad about the dysfunctional home I grew up in! :shrug:

Guest Babylonian Dream

Here is a list of sins I think Jesus committed:

One: Condoning Slavery

He was the son of god and he did not know slavery was wrong or at least did not condemn it. This fact alone allowed Christian based slavery to thrive for almost two millennium. Jesus praises a slave owner for his "great faith" but says nothing to him about owning another human being. In several parables he uses slaves and slavery as an example, even including a punishment justification. Nowhere does Jesus say slavery is wrong, or at the very least discourages it.

Slavery isn't a sin, to the Bible, its a perfectly good practice. In fact, we're all supposed to be slaves of the god according to it. This is just an example of when basic human morality goes beyond what's claimed of a 'morally superior' deity.

Four: Witchcraft & magic

Jesus spit on the eyes of a blind man or made mud with dirt and spit and placed them on blind eyes. If any other person did this, it would be termed as magic.

The Bible was for and against such things. Remember Moses and the brazen serpents?

Many apologists will have 101 answers for any of these charges, but if it were any other person or any other deity/prophet from another religion, then they too would count them as sins. These people never take the "What's good for the goose" view.

Indeed you are right.

What others can be added? It can be anything that if anyone else did it, then it would be counted as a sin.

Astrology is seen for some reason to some as a sin, even though the Bible is loaded with it. Divination too, but the Bible is loaded with it.

Then you have the worship of many (more than one god).

Slavery isn't a sin, to the Bible, its a perfectly good practice. In fact, we're all supposed to be slaves of the god according to it. This is just an example of when basic human morality goes beyond what's claimed of a 'morally superior' deity.

My problem with the Jesus of the bible and Christianity is this -- He was said to be the son of the one true God. God made flesh sent to walk among us and die as the ultimate sacrifice. This person/deity should have known that slavery was morally wrong, period. He should have spoken out against it and had many opportunities to do so as it was a big problem in his day. Christians should see this as the real problem that it is. Think of this... If the Christ of the bible had said slavery was wrong, then there would not have been almost 2000 years of Christian/Church supported slavery. It would have been a clear-cut wrong. All the Jesus of the bible did was argue with other Jews about mostly trivial crap and hate on the rich. Not saying slavery was wrong is the "God's Son made flesh" real sin.

Who knows, maybe the real historical Jewish Jesus was against it, but that never made it into the pages of the bible.

Guest Babylonian Dream
My problem with the Jesus of the bible and Christianity is this -- He was said to be the son of the one true God. God made flesh sent to walk among us and die as the ultimate sacrifice. This person/deity should have known that slavery was morally wrong, period. He should have spoken out against it and had many opportunities to do so as it was a big problem in his day.

Indeed, but that's just the thing. The Bible isn't based on some universal law of God, its based on the moral compass of iron age hillbillies. To the writers of the New Testament, there was nothing wrong with slavery. It was a good thing to them to have slaves, just like today its seen as a good thing to sexually mutilate little boys to many jews and christians today, and the sexual mutilation in some Islamic societies extends to the little girls as well. (Circumcision). Yet anyone who looks at circumcision objectively, should also see what's wrong with it morally, yet people don't for the same reason those who wrote the books of the NT didn't see problems with slavery.

Christians should see this as the real problem that it is. Think of this... If the Christ of the bible had said slavery was wrong, then there would not have been almost 2000 years of Christian/Church supported slavery. It would have been a clear-cut wrong. All the Jesus of the bible did was argue with other Jews about mostly trivial crap and hate on the rich. Not saying slavery was wrong is the "God's Son made flesh" real sin.

Who knows, maybe the real historical Jewish Jesus was against it, but that never made it into the pages of the bible.

They should also see the child abuse the Bible and they endorse as the real problem it is, but they don't. That's why there are people who believe religion is inherently dangerous, because it makes people fight over stuff that doesn't matter (whether one God is truly one or three) and look the other way to stuff that does (genocide, abuse, murder, bigotry, etc...)

Slavery is a human establishment. Humans made humans slaves, not God. God won't forbid it as slavery is actually very meaningful in terms of His salvation. Without the concept of slavery you will never understand your own situation on earth.

Moses:

The Jews were slaves in Egypt (without the human establishment of slavery, the Jews and thus humans will never understand what slaves might be). Moses brought them out and to the promised land of Canaan, saving them from being slaves of the Egyptians.

Jesus:

Humans are slaves of sins bound in the "Egypt" called planet earth. Jesus will bring His sheep out and to the promised land of New Heavens and New earth, saving them from being slaves of sins.

That's the parallel based on the concept of a human establishment called slavery.

Cool! I'm quite sure, then, that you'd be more than willing to be my slave, huh? I'll be over shortly to collect you for forced labor. Look at what a great opportunity you have now to participate in such a "meaningful" activity!

Under the OT Mosaic Law, they still in the period of "an eye for eye, and a tooth for tooth". if the Jews are enslaved by the Egyptians (as you said this can be on a theological basis), then they can also enslave others.

It's mind-boggling how stupid some apologetics attempts can be. How is it "eye for eye" for the Israelites to make slaves out of people who had NOTHING to do with the Israelites' enslavement? You seriously need to start thinking for yourself for a change instead of just parroting nonsense you hear other Christians spew.