Goodbye Jesus

"i Don't Need Heaven."

PaulQ

I recently had the opportunity to stand at the front of a church, in front of a congregation with my family, at my grandmother's funeral, and tell them I didn't need heaven.

More specifically, I borrowed a chunk of Penn Jillette's beautiful "I believe there is no God" and worked it into my speech. Here is what I had to say about my late grandmother:

My memories of my Grandmother go as far back as I can possibly remember, and each and every one of them is filled with love from her. Our moments together were always bookended with kisses. Every time I saw her, she insisted on a kiss. She would not allow us to depart without another kiss. From the day I was born until last week, not a single loving kiss was forgotten. My Grandmother's heart and home was always open to me. I consider myself very fortunate to have had such a wonderful woman as my grandmother to share her love with me. It's this love that is her greatest legacy, because this love lives on in my mother, her sisters, and my own siblings and cousins. It's this love that came from her that continues to grow and fill my life in my own family today. It's this love that brought us all together here today. I ask you, what can possibly be better than that?

My Grandmother's passing helps to inform every moment of my life. I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows, and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough. It has to be enough, but it's everything in the world, and everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems rude to beg the invisible for more. Just the love of my Grandmother and the family that raised me and the family I'm raising now is enough that I don't need heaven.

Thank you all for keeping Grandma's legacy of love alive.

It was very therapeutic for me. The Pastor was behind me all the way until I got to the last sentence of the second paragraph, but commended me for my public speaking skills.

how bold and beautifully written! Nice work! I'm sorry for your loss, though, she seemed like a sweet lady!

• Super Moderator

What a beautiful, loving tribute to a wonderful grandma! My condolences on your loss.

I love how you so eloquently relived and remembered her without some drivel about "where she is now." It's refreshing, and IMO, a much better testament to your grandmother, even for those of us who never met her.

Sorry about your loss. It's great to see that you can have a level head about it and eloquently convey your position along with your love for your Grandmother.

That was brave and well said. Good for you.

I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but I don't think that funerals are appropriate venues for whapping others with what is tantamount to a confrontational polemic. Especially if your grandma was a sincere church lady. I mean, how would she react had she heard what you said? I could understand if she herself was an atheist who liked pissing people off and she would have gotten a laugh out of it, but if she was in fact a sincere church lady, why the hell would you promote your atheism at her funeral? I mean, I'm all for pissing fundies off, but at a funeral!? Unless I'm missing something here. :shrug:

My first question: would your grandma have appreciated what you said? To be sure, "she's dead, you idiot" doesn't work.

I hate to be a fly in the ointment, but I don't think that funerals are appropriate venues for whapping others with what is tantamount to a confrontational polemic. Especially if your grandma was a sincere church lady. I mean, how would she react had she heard what you said? I could understand if she herself was an atheist who liked pissing people off and she would have gotten a laugh out of it, but if she was in fact a sincere church lady, why the hell would you promote your atheism at her funeral? I mean, I'm all for pissing fundies off, but at a funeral!? Unless I'm missing something here. :shrug:

My first question: would your grandma have appreciated what you said? To be sure, "she's dead, you idiot" doesn't work.

Perhaps, but here's another perspective. When my grandfather died, some asshole of a young pastor who hardly knew him used the opportunity to give a gospel sermon, altar call and all. And yes, it was probably my grandfather's wish, but I loved him like a dad and I sat through it pissed as hell because the pastor didn't know shit about my grandfather's life and didn't spend one minute talking about it. Paul lost his grandmother and he's the one that has the right to remember her how he wants to. I bet he left feeling a whole lot better than I did after my loss.

Perhaps, but here's another perspective. When my grandfather died, some asshole of a young pastor who hardly knew him used the opportunity to give a gospel sermon, altar call and all. And yes, it was probably my grandfather's wish, but I loved him like a dad and I sat through it pissed as hell because the pastor didn't know shit about my grandfather's life and didn't spend one minute talking about it. Paul lost his grandmother and he's the one that has the right to remember her how he wants to. I bet he left feeling a whole lot better than I did after my loss.

I agree. When my uncle died they turned it into a sermon. The man was pretty religious but funerals are supposed to be about remembering ther person, not gaining brownie points for converting people.

I thought what the op said was really nice and all the said was "I don't need heaven." It related to the grandmother and emphasised the point.

PaulQ, I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like your grandmother was a great lady.