Why I Think Christians Post Here

Overcame Faith

Those of us living a post-Christian life and trying to get past all the rubbish we learned as Christians have a myriad of reasons for hanging out here on ExC. I think those reasons are fairly straightforward. The issue with this post is why Christians post here. Based on my observations, here are my list of reasons that I perceive. Feel free to add your own or to comment on mine.

1. Some just like to stir up trouble and enjoy tangling with us. These are otherwise known as trolls.

2. Some have a mission to bring us back to the fold. They want to teach us the error of our ways, and show us the "true" Christianity that they believe we missed as is, for them, self-evident from our having left the religion in the first place.

3. Some are having their own doubts about Christianity. Though they are not likely to admit it, they use us as a sounding board to hear our responses to their doubts to help them settle matters in their own minds.

4. Some know that many of us on this Board are very secure in our rejection of their religion, but they post hoping to convince those who are reading the board and are still undecided about whether to leave Christianity. It is to those undecided people to whom they are actually speaking and we are their proxies.

5. Some have a mix of all or some of the above.

Guest Spinoza

Those of us living a post-Christian life and trying to get past all the rubbish we learned as Christians have a myriad of reasons for hanging out here on ExC. I think those reasons are fairly straightforward. The issue with this post is why Christians post here. Based on my observations, here are my list of reasons that I perceive. Feel free to add your own or to comment on mine.

1. Some just like to stir up trouble and enjoy tangling with us. These are otherwise known as trolls.

2. Some have a mission to bring us back to the fold. They want to teach us the error of our ways, and show us the "true" Christianity that they believe we missed as is, for them, self-evident from our having left the religion in the first place.

3. Some are having their own doubts about Christianity. Though they are not likely to admit it, they use us as a sounding board to hear our responses to their doubts to help them settle matters in their own minds.

4. Some know that many of us on this Board are very secure in our rejection of their religion, but they post hoping to convince those who are reading the board and are still undecided about whether to leave Christianity. It is to those undecided people to whom they are actually speaking and we are their proxies.

Some of us, like Baruch Spinoza, Meister Eckhart and Yeshua ha-notsir would be excommunicated from our Church (or killed)

if we ever voiced our perception of a Non-Dual reality while talking to other Christians.

1."Everything is God, Everything is One"

2. The Kingdom of God is spread across the earth and men do not see it.... (no heaven or hell)

3. The Kingdom of God is within

and are honestly wondering if any Ex-Christians have stumbled across a similar Non-dual view of the Universe.

So far...... none, maybe Antlerman who calls this the Perennial Philosophy (not sure though)

No argument from this quarter. You nailed it.

Then there is the element of "sowing the seed" and letting "god give the increase."

That is why many of them just spew their cliches and platitudes and don't engage with us. They are living out a myth which says all they have to do is get the word out. It's not their responsibility to prove anything or convince us. They just need to "be faithful" and "share the word."

They are both active and passive at the same time. Any negative feedback they get isn't because of them, it's because we're of the debil and the debil don't like the wordagawd! They can be obnoxious pricks and it's not their fault. It's ours because we are sold out to the devil and they are just hoping that god will magically change our hearts with their pre-prepared, canned cliche festivals.

And i find the most annoying ones to be

And it would be good to keep this on Topic Spinoza, not turn it into another one of your sermons

I moved this topic to Colosseum because we allow topics to stray anywhere in the Lion's Den, while Colosseum is the place for topics that should stay in line.

Overcame Faith, I think you nailed it.

Maybe there is on more group, but I'm not sure. Perhaps there are Christians who come here out of pure curiosity. They don't know what to think of us and just want to know how these "oddballs" can exist when their belief is so "obvious."

2. The Kingdom of God is spread across the earth and men do not see it.... (no heaven or hell)

sing_99.gif Kum- bay -yah my lord, Kum-bay-yah

And we entertain them because maybe we see a little of our old preachy, I have the truth xian selves in them

I moved this topic to Colosseum because we allow topics to stray anywhere in the Lion's Den, while Colosseum is the place for topics that should stay in line.

Overcame Faith, I think you nailed it.

Maybe there is on more group, but I'm not sure. Perhaps there are Christians who come here out of pure curiosity. They don't know what to think of us and just want to know how these "oddballs" can exist when their belief is so "obvious."

No problem at all with your having moved the topic. I'm glad you put it where you thought best fit the topic.

And, yes, there probably are those Christians who come here out of curiosity. A fairly benign bunch, those.

sing_99.gif Kum- bay -yah my lord, Kum-bay-yah

And we entertain them because maybe we see a little of our old preachy, I have the truth xian selves in them

That's funny. Yeah, no doubt.

And i find the most annoying ones to be

And it would be good to keep this on Topic Spinoza, not turn it into another one of your sermons

I'm not sure if I find these the most annoying or the trolls. But the ones which bother me the most are the ones who use us as a proxy to reach those who are doubting their religion. So many of those who are doubting without having made up their minds are quite vulnerable.

Then there is the element of "sowing the seed" and letting "god give the increase."

That is why many of them just spew their cliches and platitudes and don't engage with us. They are living out a myth which says all they have to do is get the word out. It's not their responsibility to prove anything or convince us. They just need to "be faithful" and "share the word."

They are both active and passive at the same time. Any negative feedback they get isn't because of them, it's because we're of the debil and the debil don't like the wordagawd! They can be obnoxious pricks and it's not their fault. It's ours because we are sold out to the devil and they are just hoping that god will magically change our hearts with their pre-prepared, canned cliche festivals.

Right, those too. Well, I've salted the field and it will grow no Christian fruit (or should I say thorns?).

I have come to the conclusion that most people on this Forum just like to argue with people.

And are generally unkind.

I disagree wholeheartedly. There are some of the kindest people here that I've ever met. So many of them go out of their way to help people who are suffering through their rejection of Christianity and all the baggage that comes with that.

• Like 4

Some of us, like Baruch Spinoza, Meister Eckhart and Yeshua ha-notsir would be excommunicated from our Church (or killed)

if we ever voiced our perception of a Non-Dual reality while talking to other Christians.

and are honestly wondering if any Ex-Christians have stumbled across a similar Non-dual view of the Universe.

Your first point sounds like Unitarian belief and/or Wika/Pagan. The second is held by Unitarian Universalists. Many mainline Christians today hold to the third. All of these groups have websites and books. So no, I doubt they would post here in search of like-minded company.

• Super Moderator

I have come to the conclusion that most people on this Forum just like to argue with people.

And are generally unkind.

I disagree wholeheartedly. There are some of the kindest people here that I've ever met. So many of them go out of their way to help people who are suffering through their rejection of Christianity and all the baggage that comes with that.

I completely agree with you, Overcame Faith. Many visitors here don't realize (or worse, don't care) how seriously some members have been hurt by christians and christianity. Nor do these visitors understand how some of us come here as a sanctuary from the religious people in our real lives. This website is one of the few places where we can discuss religion and our experiences without being shunned, ridiculed, or preached at (except for in the Lion's Den, which I tend to avoid. I have to deal with far too many of those types in real life.). For some of us, ExC is our one little bit of sanity in a religiously dominated world.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think a lot of Christians come here to stroke their own egos. They believe they are special and we are lowly wretched worms -- because their bible tells them so.

Buffet, I was thinking the same thing - xians come here to stroke their egos and get their jollies from being "martyrs" for Jesus.

• Super Moderator

I would just add that we've had a few Christians with such oddball views of the religion, they'd get booted from Christian forums. This is probably one of very few places where such people can spout their uniquely unfounded (and unpopular) doctrines.

Your first point sounds like Unitarian belief and/or Wika/Pagan. The second is held by Unitarian Universalists. Many mainline Christians today hold to the third. All of these groups have websites and books. So no, I doubt they would post here in search of like-minded company.

Hmmm. Not sure so many Christians hold to any of these three. Non-dual view just isn't the same as orthodox Christianity. God is considered something other and apart. Its hard to parse out all the possible variations of Christianity. I think some really liberal or esoteric Christians might visit this site, but wouldn't stay long. That's true.

Ex-Christian - formerly Christian. Now they are something else - atheist, agnostic, theist, who knows? The possibilities are endless. The only thing we all have in common is that we were once Christians (many fundamentalist) and now are not.

You've got me thinking, R.S. Martin. I like that.

I wonder if some Christians come here because they are secretly envious of the freedom we have, or if they want to just see how the other side (heathens and atheists) are doing. Maybe want to see if we are really sunk in sin and immorality. Another attempt to bolster their weak faith.

I would just add that we've had a few Christians with such oddball views of the religion, they'd get booted from Christian forums. This is probably one of very few places where such people can spout their uniquely unfounded (and unpopular) doctrines.

I would say most of the Christians who have been here the longest have these heretical views (and who knows what early Christianity was!) but they still think of themselves as Christian.

<P>

I like how you people like to control these forums by saying someone is going off topic when their statement doesn't support your argument.

I'm afraid you are just another mindless Hitchens/Dawkins disciple clone.

You are as bad as the Christian Fundamentalist and give good atheist Free-Thinkers a bad name.

You like labels, da? The other day you called me a pharisee for calling Jesus a cunt. Trouble is, you are trying to control and shut down just as much as those you accuse by giving these reprimands and labels.

I think that some Christians enjoy the feeling of 'persecution' they get here by being annoying preachy trolls. I also have talked to a few (Kathlene and MereChristian for example) who come/came here because they are able to be more open about their beliefs here than they are on Christian websites. Even Abiyoyo and I think End3 got banned from Christian websites in the past.

This is a very good list, and covers thoughts I've come to myself as well over the years. I'll add one that I also see, but it's been a while since I've seen any prime example of this:

6. Jerking off for Jesus. Those who come here trying to score points for themselves with the Big Guy upstairs by being able to stand up to the evil atheists. These are those who typically have the cotton stuffed the deepest in their ear canals, who take joy in telling people they are damned because it puts them on the winning side. In other words huge ego stroking of themselves using the name of Jesus to justify themselves because they are incredibly insecure, and evangelism for them is like a form of obsessive genital fixation for the developmentally ill. Call it Pathological Evangelism.

Another to add, just to be fair to positive possibilities:

7. Genuine curiosity when someone would not want what they see as positive. I've encountered these rare souls on occasion.

One more I just thought of:

8. Dread fear. The thought that some would risk their souls is something that terrifies them about themselves doing, and they are like looking into the face of fear of themselves by looking at us, touching around the deep existential doubts that aren't even conscious thoughts; being drawn like a child to put their hand in the fire out of morbid curiosity. At least this is their subconscious thought level.

Whatsoever is, is in God, and without God nothing can be, or be conceived.

Baruch Spinoza

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/baruch_spinoza_3.html#ixzz18UPgmkYA

I agree with other members, it is getting extremely annoying that you are bringing in your religious views in every topic. This topic is about why Christians come to this website and post. What the hell does the question who God is or if he exist or not have anything to do with this topic? None!

If this continues, I will have to flag you as a spammer, even though I know that is no your intention. You need to learn to control your religious preaching to when and where it is appropriate.

From now on, when I see you make another faith declaration in a thread that has nothing to do with religious views, I will delete your posts. It is too distracting to have your faith posted everywhere.

Besides, this particular discussion is in the Colosseum section. So I will now remove all posts that are unrelated to the topic.

I think some of them are actively trying to get persecuted, especially when they aren't feeling persecuted in their everyday lives. Churches are always teaching about how Christians are the most persecuted minority in the world ( :Wendywhatever: ), so Christians are supposed to feel like they are persecuted when they are the religious majority, in America at least. They post on forums like this so that way they can go back to church and rant on how persecuted they were for being Christian--all while completely forgetting to tell them that they were trolling on an atheist or ex-religionist site. "I simply stated I was a Christian and they all began attacking me."

Another reason that i don't think was mentioned was that some may come to "witness" to us to get bennies from Jesus or to be more sure of their place in heaven. Others may do it because they are sincere enough to not want us to burn in the hell thier loving god created.