Goodbye Jesus

Culture Taboos & Religion

Xerces

So deeply ingrained is this in societal mores that even in a forum where most sacred cows have been probed and challenged this will probably be a scandalous and controversial response: backlash against nudity, not just against tolerating nudist resorts or clothing optional beaches, but backlash against people randomly walking down the street nude is completely a societal more, and there is nothing inherently more wrong with it than wearing (or not) earrings or tattoos, smoking marijuana (instead of drinking alcohol), wearing your hair in an unapproved way, or not mutilating the end of your penis.

Those tribe members you've seen in National Geographic that never got the message that they were supposed to be ashamed of their nakedness because a woman ate fruit from the wrong tree are not heathens devoid of morality because they never heard the Truth. Rather, Western attitudes about nudity are learned, not innate, and I doubt they would be so universal save for the fact that the world has become so culturally homogenized.

No, I'm not going to go any further. I'll just drive up my blood pressure. Suffice it to say that anything remotely sexist (misogynist or misandrist, doesn't matter, both are deplorable) boils my blood like nothing else in the world.

Wow, me too. There are so few people who are able to their fellow humans as non-gender-typed individuals. It's a very attractive quality...and rare!

:wub:

Phanta

I should've responded to this earlier, sorry for that.

Thank you. Really. Too often I get called "insincere" by women or "traitor" (to what?) by men. With as angry as sexism makes me and as determined as some people seem to perpetuate it for the sake of the status quo, it's really good to know at least one person out there appreciates my efforts to fight it. Makes it all feel worthwhile.

If I lived nearby I'd buy you a drink. :beer:

I should've responded to this earlier, sorry for that.

Thank you. Really. Too often I get called "insincere" by women or "traitor" (to what?) by men. With as angry as sexism makes me and as determined as some people seem to perpetuate it for the sake of the status quo, it's really good to know at least one person out there appreciates my efforts to fight it. Makes it all feel worthwhile.

If I lived nearby I'd buy you a drink. :beer:

Cheers!

Most people must really need that tightly defined gender identity. That's not attractive to me at all...I like people who are strong in their individualism. However, I try not to get to fussed about it. It's though, though, when I see the mentality limiting people, or putting limits on others. Sucks.

I am a unique blend of many characteristics. I bet you are, too!

Phanta

Girls want a husband, and they want to pop out kids. I'm just not into that.

I love the fact that gender stereotypes were JUST addressed, and someone comes out with something like this.

I am a "girl", and I do not want a husband or children. Not the least bit interested. Making a blanket statement referring to every woman is offensive to the women who do NOT follow that stereotype.

Personally, pretty much the only reason I'd get married is if I end up marrying another female and then it would mostly be a political statement for equality. I suppose I could be talked into it otherwise, but only to please my significant other, not because I "want a husband and to pop out kids."

• Like 1

Girls want a husband, and they want to pop out kids. I'm just not into that.

I am a "girl", and I do not want a husband or children. Not the least bit interested. Making a blanket statement referring to every woman is offensive to the women who do NOT follow that stereotype.

I second that. I'm actually adversed to marriage and I'm going to get a tubal ligation once I get enough money.

I myself curse like a sailor and try to be as creative as I can about it, but I stop short of racial epithets and the word "cunt." The only time I find it funny, and it's mostly a difference in connotation across cultures, is when British or Scottish comedians use it. For whatever reason, they make it hilarious. Probably because it's not used in a fashion to demean women and there's something hilariously jarring about the knee-jerk reaction to be offended getting cut off by the realization that the context is all wrong for offense. Example: Ed asking "Can I get...any of you cunts...a drink?" to a group of two men and two women in Shaun of the Dead. Not sure why, but...funny.

Sucks.

Old habits die hard.

Poop.

P

Well of course on a free-thinking site like this, you ladies would collect, but the density of religious or traditional girls in my area (north east USA near Boston), I've started resorting to opening with "Are you looking for marriage and kids?" when I approach girls at bars- since it weeds them out quicker.

Wow! I bet it does!

So deeply ingrained is this in societal mores that even in a forum where most sacred cows have been probed and challenged this will probably be a scandalous and controversial response: backlash against nudity, not just against tolerating nudist resorts or clothing optional beaches, but backlash against people randomly walking down the street nude is completely a societal more, and there is nothing inherently more wrong with it than wearing (or not) earrings or tattoos, smoking marijuana (instead of drinking alcohol), wearing your hair in an unapproved way, or not mutilating the end of your penis.

Those tribe members you've seen in National Geographic that never got the message that they were supposed to be ashamed of their nakedness because a woman ate fruit from the wrong tree are not heathens devoid of morality because they never heard the Truth. Rather, Western attitudes about nudity are learned, not innate, and I doubt they would be so universal save for the fact that the world has become so culturally homogenized.

I'd like to see a lot more tolerance for nudity in our culture. Westerners tend to associate it with sex, when in and of itself it is quite innocent. Africans think we must be hungry all the time because of our preoccupation with breasts.

I ran with a mixed gender group in high school, and we went skinny-dipping all the time. There was drinking, smoking...but no Roman orgy. There should be more places where people can go naked without legal problems.

• Like 2

Well of course on a free-thinking site like this, you ladies would collect, but the density of religious or traditional girls in my area (north east USA near Boston), I've started resorting to opening with "Are you looking for marriage and kids?" when I approach girls at bars- since it weeds them out quicker.

You obviously need to start looking outside of your area.

Is there a cultural practice that pisses you off? Post about it!

I agree with everything you said - in fact I actually have a lot of respect for people who choose to live a bit outside the "norms" of culture and society. These people tend to be independent, risk takers, free thinkers, etc which are qualities I admire.

I love to cuss, and fuck anyone if they get offended. Although I do refrain from cussing in front of my clients because telling people to fuck off can be bad for business :HaHa:

One cultural taboo I am dealing with right now is death. My father recently passed away and I decided I didn't want a funeral or service for him, and told my sister if she wanted one that was up to her. Which she is now going to do because he had a few friends that I guess want one. But I am not going to make much of an effort to be there. I loved my father with all my heart, but, like, he's dead. Having a service or funeral isn't going to accomplish or solve anything. And I don't need any sort of "closure" either. So why are people giving me shit over this?

Anyway that's the only one I can think of for now...

One cultural taboo I am dealing with right now is death. My father recently passed away and I decided I didn't want a funeral or service for him, and told my sister if she wanted one that was up to her. Which she is now going to do because he had a few friends that I guess want one. But I am not going to make much of an effort to be there. I loved my father with all my heart, but, like, he's dead. Having a service or funeral isn't going to accomplish or solve anything. And I don't need any sort of "closure" either. So why are people giving me shit over this?

Death is one of the great human constants. We all die. No matter if you believe it's the ultimate end, a big sleep till a magic lamb wakes you up, a blip between carnival rides/lives, or a new beginning, our physical bodies as we know it will perish.

It scares most people too - which is something I never understood. Why waste your time being terrified of the inevitable? Of course, I imagine the process of getting to death wouldn't be necessarily pleasant, and pain doesn't appeal to me, but death itself is just, well, there. It will happen. I can't change it. BFD.

Even with my personal belief in an existence beyond this one, I know death rituals are primarily for the living. I have expressed my wishes for my own funeral (mostly because I think they'd be fun for%

Was talking with a friend about this last night and we found another one: blow/s.

We don't insult people by telling them to "get blowed" (there is no cuss to "get sucked" either). The insult is the one doing the action--> the woman (or homosexual male).

In contrast, with "fuck" it is generally the one receiving the action who is demeaned in the verbiage--> the woman (or homosexual male). Though, to be fair, we do call people fuckers from time to time, and that isn't meant as a good thing, and that is the male position. So, in that way "fuck" spreads the love across genders a little bit.

Phanta

Mike D

The death part I can total get. It really pissed me off this summer when my father-in-law died. Being the traditionalist my wife is they did the whole funeral thing because that is what is expected.

/rant/

The part that pissed me off was having a priest come in and do the service. None of her family at gone to church for at least 20 yrs. So why at death would you suddenly have a complete stranger come in and talk about his life??!!. Fortunately or un I was on kid patrol with my 2yr old so I didn't have to sit in the service.

Another thing from that day was brother-in-law's fiance. She knew her parent were coming down so she was being absolutly paranoid about how she acted during everything. Standin just behind and to the left of her future hubby, smiling and being pleasant, catering to whatever needs anyone in the recieving line had. It would have been fine if she was doing it because she wanted to help, but doing it just so when her parents arrived her father wouldn't be critical of her!!! :Wendywhatever:/close rant/

I like the ideas that the Freedom from Religion Foundation has on funerals.