Goodbye Jesus

Short Intro.

Chad3232132

Hello everyone,

I'm Chad, 24, from Central Florida (born and raised). I'm a recent graduate of University of Central Florida (which finally won 1st football game in 2 years!). Religion has never really been a "big thing" in my family, and noone I'm aware of in my immediate family goes to church regularly, although most my my family members are self-described Protestants.

I went to a Presbyterian church from about the age of 6 to about 12, mainly because my grandparents wanted me to make new friends and there was a church across the street from my house. To be honest, I never fully embraced organized religion, even at a young age. At about the age of 12, I was given my 1st (and probably last) bible. I started reading it, and by the time I was done I seriously questioned any faith I had up to that point. By the time I got to college I was more or less Agnostic, after reading more religious materials, information and research on religion.

Thankfully my family is more or less freethinking and didn't brainwash me on religion or any narrow set of beliefs. While most of my family members claim to be "religious," I think most are just saying so for societal reasons and not actual belief. Hell, even my 83 year old grandmother (once a regular churchgoer and self described "evangelical") has not been to church in many years and often voices her discontent with the radicalization of so many Christians in America.

I still have a great deal of optimism that America will become more of a nation of free-thinkers. I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

Welcome Chad!

Let's hope together for the freethinking America.

Heya Chad. Welcome, dude.

Hey, if all those numbers in your name are your phone number, not a good idea.

Telemarketers will drive ya bonkers.

The numbers in my name are completely random are are not anything to do with a phone number or any other personal information. Back many years ago when I put up with the aggravation of using AOL that was the screen name I used... since apparently that's how many numbers you need after your name to get a unique username. I ended up keeping the name for my screen names on many different forums, e-mail addresses, etc. Best thing I ever did was drop AOL for a a real ISP... well, best thing I ever did aside from becoming a stinkin' athiest! :grin:

Hi Chad and welcome. I think I was about 12 when I got my first Bible, and about 22 when I threw it out. I threw it into a dumpster. Why I don't remember because I was still a Christian at the time, but I felt sooooo guilty for that, in fact guilter and worse than anything else I have ever done in my life. Isn't that dumb to feel that bad about throwing a book out? :eek:

Hello everyone, 

I'm Chad

Hi Chad!

While most of my family members claim to be "religious," I think most are just saying so for societal reasons and not actual belief.

I think most Americans fall into this category. That's why I don't get TOO discouraged about religious polls saying that America is mostly "Christian". Don't mean nothing.

I still have a great deal of optimism that America will become more of a nation of free-thinkers.  I just hope it happens in my lifetime.

Me too! But I STRONGLY doubt it. Maybe in a few hundred years or so. Even sooner if we have some sort of religious war to stir things up. (But that's just ME being evil! :fdevil: )

Anyway, welcome again, Chad. Make yourself to home.

Welcome welcome welcome! :clap:

I'm hoping for a freethinking America, too....there way too much

Extreme Fundyism prevalent these days.

But, look around the site! There's a wealth of information here.

Welcome aboard. Have fun here.

Heya Chad,

Be welcome to Exc and the crowd of asorted folks who inhabit here.

Somewhat like real>life (the game without that damnned handy respawn) there is a collection of folks from all over the spectrum of life and experience that have settled in here.

Good place to help the questioning mind to find a place to have problems resolved..

kevinL