Goodbye Jesus

What Is "the Lord's Name?"

RachelSkates

I am confused. I often say goddammit and jesus christ because I am disturbed after the trauma of xism. I do not do it on purpose but many studies have shown it helps people when they are distressed.

Someone told me to NOT do it which of course, as Sage said, causes you to want to do it more.

But then I got thinking.......if I am not an xer, what is it they mean? What do they mean to not take it vain? It used to mean, when I was an xer, to not even say it. Jews cannot mention their god. Can Buddhists? What if I say God damn it and mean shit? "Jesus Christ" to me means shit or fuck. It does not mean, "Oh holy Jesus hear me.

I get graphic when I am having a bad day and someone tells me to get over it. Like they used to in the MIddle Ages. Gadzooks is from "God's Wounds" So the idea of Jesus bleeding like a stuck pig is the same thing as Bloody hell.

If anyone could elaborate. I am truly confused. But i have no plans on trying to stop. I have other habits I would like to stop, like having the urge to pray once in a while.

I like to say 'Jesus titty-fucking Christ' if I'm shocked or maybe 'sweet Jesus gonads' if I'm unhappy about something. I think it's perfectly normal and a good release of energy. It's also a hoot to see Christian's faces.

People probably say it because the way the words and syllables sound makes it satisfying to say.

It's funny to me that god-fearing hell-avoiding xians break a direct commandment of their god by uttering "goddammit!" and think a quick eye roll upward and a "'scuse me, lord" makes it okie-dokie. Wendytwitch.gif

I started using the word "hell" as part of my detox plan. As a kid, hell was something we were terrorized with. Maybe the rest will come with time.

Well, we're exers, and we don't any longer believe in the sanctity of god or jc, so the prohibition on that form of expressing oneself shouldn't have any power over our behavior anymore. I understand not wanting to say those for the sake of not offending the Christians around you, although that's up to each individual to decide.

On a personal note (anecdote), after a long discussion with a fundie friend about my atheism and reasons for it, later that night we were playing hockey and I said "Jesus Christ!" in a fury after the other team scored on a play that shouldn't have happened. Well, he took that moment to claim I still believed and was just lying about it...yes, it has nothing to do with that term being used profanely in our culture for the last few hundred years now, does it? :twitch:

My personal favorite example of blasphemous swearing is how Quebecois express themselves most strongly by using terms derived from the Catholic Church. Calice de tabernac! :HaHa: Here's an article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

Very good points! Haha- I have heard that about the Quebec French. Good idea.

I also do not understand why xers do not get mad if I say the names of other gods. It's like they have this global right to take away my right to say Jesus F Christ but then they march for freedom of speech.

Why do any of the religions give a crap what I say? I don't get it.

I think Cartman (South Park) said it best: "Oh my Jesus Christ monkey balls."

My second favorite would be: "Oh, Christ on a pony!"

A Christian friend explained to me once. When someone says "In Jesus/Lord's name" that means that they are (allegedly) trying to pray in God's character or thought pattern.

I think Cartman (South Park) said it best: "Oh my Jesus Christ monkey balls."

I mostly hear "Jesus fucking Christ" on South Park.

I usually say "god fucking dammit" whenever I am severely annoyed/pissed (not drunk pissed), so I reserve "Jesus Christ" whenever I am mildly exasperated (usually after someone say something blatantly stupid--"All Moslems are turrists").

The "Name" that the Hebrews were commanded to not take in vain was "YHWH" (better known as Yahweh or Jehovah), not "god" or "Jesus."