Goodbye Jesus

No Church For A Year!

Citsonga

Well, for the first time in my 37+ years I went for a whole calendar year without any church service attendance! In 2010, I only set foot in church once for a wedding, and that's it. The last time I went to a church service was Thanksgiving weekend 2009, and I believe that was only the second (perhaps third) time for that year.

Anyway, here's hoping for another great year of not getting roped into going to church!

Wow! How time passes. I must have been gone from these forums a lot more than I realized over this past year. I had in mind you were one of our members who was obligated for the sake of family peace to attend regularly. Congratulations! Here's a thumbs up for this brand new year.:3:

'Tis good to have all that extra time on Sundays, isn't it? :)

Sitting here, drinking coffee and eating a muffin, typing away on my keyboard, I'm having a wonderful Sunday morning.

Congrats! I'm almost the same, but I think I did attend one church service early in January 2010, then fully deconverted Jan 13, and never looked back. I'm so damn thankful every single Sunday morning, that I no longer have to go pretend to like being at church, or pretend to like the people or the singing, or the stupid boring moronic sermons. :woohoo:

Wow! How time passes. I must have been gone from these forums a lot more than I realized over this past year. I had in mind you were one of our members who was obligated for the sake of family peace to attend regularly. Congratulations! Here's a thumbs up for this brand new year.:3:

I have been pretty much in that boat with my parents, but they live 500 miles away, so it was just when visiting with them that I felt the obligation to go to church. In 2010 I managed to weasel out of it via utilizing certain circumstances. I probably won't be able to continue weaseling out of church with them over the next year without coming out as a nonbeliever. I do think that this is likely the year that I will let my family know that I don't believe that stuff anymore, just because I can't stand the thought of feeling obligated to sit in Fairy Tale Hall (aka church) with them the next time we visit.

'Tis good to have all that extra time on Sundays, isn't it? :)

Sitting here, drinking coffee and eating a muffin, typing away on my keyboard, I'm having a wonderful Sunday morning.

Indeed it is great. I stayed up late replying to The Stranger in The Lion's Den and then slept in this morning. The house was quiet as the wifey and kiddos were gone to Fairy Tale Hall.

Congrats! I'm almost the same, but I think I did attend one church service early in January 2010, then fully deconverted Jan 13, and never looked back. I'm so damn thankful every single Sunday morning, that I no longer have to go pretend to like being at church, or pretend to like the people or the singing, or the stupid boring moronic sermons. :woohoo:

Thanks, and congrats to you too! I've been deconverted for several years, but at first I kept going to Fairy Tale Hall because I knew my wife wanted me to. Then I started occasionally skipping out, and my attendance became more and more sporadic until I eventually got to the point where the only time I'd go was when visiting with my parents a couple times a year. When they were planning to come out here, I'd go to our Fairy Tale Hall for a couple weeks before my parents came, so as to avoid the looks and comments of surprise at my attendance with my parents right there next to me.

In 2010, I managed to avoid that altogether. I certainly have no plans to go to church again, so if I can muster up the courage to out myself to my parents, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I did attend church a couple of times last year, the last time being the Christmas Eve service just a week and a bit ago. But with the new year, I'm making it a goal to not step foot in the church once this year! Congrats on last year's success!

Congrats! I haven't been in a church service (with my great uncle's funeral being the exception - and that wasn't even in a church) for about 2 years, and it's a great feeling. So much nicer to enjoy my Sundays, not worrying about trying to work everything around church - which I was always bored at, making it even more of a waste of time, even as a Christian.

I second that sentiment, HRD. Even as a Christian youth, I would rather doodle than pay attention. Just way too bland...

I've actually had the luck, even not being fully out to my parents, to be able to avoid church for several years now. They don't attend very often and don't care whether my sister or I attend, and I frankly have much more important things to do with my Sundays like watch hockey or learn more science(!). My church attendance was very seldom already by the end of high school, and I think the last time I was in a church was for my best friend's wedding in August 2009.

May everyone have continued success in avoiding fairy tale halls and indoctrination centers across the land! :grin: