Goodbye Jesus

Consolaiton In "many Worlds"

Suzy

Sometimes atheists are asked by religious people: 'Where do yo get your consolation now about those loved ones who died? Doesn't it suck to believe you won't see them any more or that justice will not be served for the injustices they suffered on this Earth by others?'

Well, to a certain extent it does suck - to me especially the second part, that justice won't be served for some atrocities my loved ones suffered. But I'd rather accept this than watching them burn in Hell for eternity for a mistake they might have made ('cause that's a possibility too).

But to the point: I have to say about dead loved ones and lives those sucked on this Earth, I have found a little bit of consolation in science, more precisely in the many worlds theory, and especially the type 3 multiverses, that is described here:

When I first heard about it it sounded like fun. It still does to me. I like absurd and surreal things. And IF this is reality it's even better!

How does it give a consolation? When someone I loved died and thought of how much his life sucked in his last years, I imagined if type 3 multiverses are real then there are universes where he has had a much happier life and where he still lives and where he can be together with the girl he loved etc.! I try to imagine those universes. (The downside is, there are also universes where he, or I, or whoever, has a much worse life - but I try not to focus on those in my fantasies. LOL.)

Before somebody jumps in and warns me how it's just a theory: I KNOW! I'm perfectly aware this all might be pure fantasy. I'm not making it a religion or something and luckily there's no "Church of Multiverses" (yet :) ) and nobody threatens people to believe in it or else we will rot in Hell for eternity. But actually there IS a chance it's true (I'd say right now it seems it's a bigger chance than God being true......) and I think if it is reality then it's fantastic! I just love the thought of it!

Just think about it: there may be Universes where Richard Dawkins is an evangelical preacher! LOL!

For those who are interested in the Multiverse theories:

http://space.mit.edu/home/tegmark/multiverse.pdf

This is especially about Type 3: http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm

A phylosophical approach of it is called genuine modal realism: http://www.modalrealism.com/modalrealism/ftgmr.pdf

I also love the whole concept of this, but I just can't understand it. I have tried and tried,:scratch: but I do think it's very cool.I wish I understood physics!

I think all of these theories are very interesting. We don't know everything. I hold this notion as an interesting possibility. What if we are also living in another parallel universe?

This is from quantum theory. The many universes theory says (if I am not mistaken) that every time a decision is made in your life, a split takes place in reality so that you are also doing the other alternative somewhere else in some other dimension (universe)! Think of the decisions you have made in life - what if you decided NOT to marry the abusive spouse, what if you decided not to take the job, etc. etc. on and on. Your life would take a different turn and therefore the universe would also be different. There are an infinite number of "yous" doing different lives. How mind blowing is this?

I never felt any consolation when I was a christian, and I don't believe that justice exists. And I really hope there is only one of me, even the multiverse deserves only one :)

I think all of these theories are very interesting. We don't know everything. I hold this notion as an interesting possibility. What if we are also living in another parallel universe?

This is from quantum theory. The many universes theory says (if I am not mistaken) that every time a decision is made in your life, a split takes place in reality so that you are also doing the other alternative somewhere else in some other dimension (universe)! Think of the decisions you have made in life - what if you decided NOT to marry the abusive spouse, what if you decided not to take the job, etc. etc. on and on. Your life would take a different turn and therefore the universe would also be different. There are an infinite number of "yous" doing different lives. How mind blowing is this?

Yes, this is exactly what it says and I love the thought of it. In short it means: anything that could have happened DID happen somewhere in the multiverse!

I hope it's true! (And as far as I know so far chances look good that it's true since this theory easily solves many paradoxes of quantummechanics and effortlessly explains many strange quantum phenomenons....)

It doesn't really bring me much consolation because this life is the life I'm living. I would feel good for the alternative me that is living a far more cozy life but I also feel bad for the life another alternative self could be living; perhaps the later self married the first guy who ever proposed to me and is now living a life in another country of which language I no little and is constantly being abused by a perpetual drunk. Maybe, in an alternative universe, everyone in my family is having a cozy, comfortable life, but this is our lot and we have to make of it as we can.

Just to be clear, I'm not scolding anyone for daydreaming a fantasy life.

Maybe, in an alternative universe, everyone in my family is having a cozy, comfortable life, but this is our lot and we have to make of it as we can.

Just to be clear, I'm not scolding anyone for daydreaming a fantasy life.

Or, you have no family at all. Everyone is dead. Remember all the close calls you have had in traffic - serious injury or death. I wonder in how many of these alternate universes things didn't work out so well.

That's why I really can't derive consolation from it. As well as the fact that you still have to live in this universe.

These quantum theories arose from solving problems - problems only well expressed in advanced mathematics. The collapse of a wave function. It seems rather esoteric and remote to me.

But if it gives you consolation, I think that it is more realistic than Jesus.

I'd have to ask "In what way do the other versions of me constitute being... me?" If I have no experience of them, then they are as beneficial as being other people. On the other hand I do wonder a bit about reincarnation. That would give me at least some opportunity for a really wide variety of experiences. Now if I could just remember them and build upon them...

This is amazing, Who would have ever expected that reality is not just one universe? As we learn more about this I wonder how it will change our thinking and the world as a result?

• 3 months later...

I believe that the idea is true although I don't like it. Somehow, it feels like we are less special, less significant if there are many versions of us.