Goodbye Jesus

This Really 'bugs' Me And I'm Going To Post It!

Margee

I tried soooooo hard not to let this bug me last night. I received this nice little response from one of our Christian friends yesterday.(PM)

Obviously - They weren't up for a 'heated' discussion.(or trying to 'win' me back and save my soul) I'm going to call this topic - 'Saving Souls'. When you were a Christian - did you spend all your time trying to 'save' another wonderful human from going to hell. I didn't. For some reason, I was too timid -I just couldn't 'witness' for Jesus Christ'. As much as I thought I loved 'the Lord', I just didn't really witness.When I accepted Jesus Christ' many years ago - I did not accept him 'in love' - I accepted him in fear because they told me I would be 'lost' forever and go to hell to burn eternally.

I asked on one of my posts' for someone to tell me who was in the garden and 'saw' all the activities that were going on there. (The post was''who was the stenographer'') I even opened myself up and told the Christians that if someone could give me a sensible answer that maybe I could still be convinced of the God of the bible and therefore - not risk my salvation..

Now - isn't this about 'saving' people souls and keeping them from going to hell? Would you not tell someone that Jesus loves them more than anything in the world? This was my little letter of encouragement. I won't mention the name of the person who sent it to me because I refuse to be that vindictive.I will ask out of respect - that the 'believers' do not send me a PM anymore. Please post your answers here and have a discussion with us. WE are not trying to 'win anything' - we are trying to tell you how Christianity hurt us and all we are asking (When you do reply ) is that you give us a sensible answer. I, personally will never be 'nasty' to you.

This was the reply to help 'win me back' into the fold. Swine and Dog really sticks out at me and that HURT like hell because am a very sincere 'searcher and all I am asking for is sensible answers......

''You've been asking for Christians to answer your questions, but the reason why Christians can be weary of answering questions posed by atheistic types is because a lot of them are quite disingenuous(lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere): in their asking. They ask to encourage doubt and to prove their own "smartness" and God's word is hidden from the irreverent and the censurers. Atheists want to win an argument and a genuine Christian (this is genuine?)is hoping to find a willing soul who can be saved for eternity. Christians don't really want to cast their pearls before swine or give what is holy unto dogs, Matthew 7:6. Alas, the ingenuous askers seems to not be as verbal as the disingenuous ones so when a believer tries to answer a question, the disingenuous ones come along grunting and barking and then claim they won the debate when the believer does not engage them.''

The answer to my question about 'who was in the garden' and took down the account of the whole thing was'..........

'The Holy Spirit'

Now, this person must have forgot that I was involved in the Church for 30 years. Hello - I have heard this answer a thousand times about how a voice whispered in someone's ear and they thought it was the god of the heavens ,speaking to them. (even when 'the holy' spirit whispered to kill thousands of innocent people in the bible).

So - is this about 'winning' a debate or 'winning' people's souls? Did you really care about winning people's souls to 'the lord'? This reply did not help to 'win me back'.

• Super Moderator

I don't blame you for being bugged! That was extremely rude and arrogant of whichever of our dear christian friends sent that PM. It just shows that the person was too chicken to post his drivel publicly -- s/she didn't want to take the heat that s/he knew would have been forthcoming.

Will those xtians ever get it through their thick heads that ExC is our sanctuary -- and for many of us -- our ONLY sanctuary from the arrogant jeeezusbots in our real lives.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Guest riverrunner

You will not get any sensible answers from them - they don't have any. They will always have to rely on magic (faith, holy spirit, divine inspiration). Have you ever heard christians say something like "i felt like god was telling me to call this person (or turn left instead of right) and then XYZ happened and it proves god cares". well rational people would chalk this up to things that normally happen. this is their divine inspiration - a feeling. this was the bible authors divine inspiration as well - they thought of some ideas, maybe discussed it a bit, wrote it down, someone else centuries later says - ah divine words!

I just read Jesus, Interrupted and you will see how their book was written and cobbled together by very human methods. so they throw some mean verse at you - it means nothing. do you remember when you were first a christian - everything was so simple black and white. now you are struggling with questions and trying to reconcile things that make no sense? well i can tell you it gets simple again when you toss out the bible as a divine book and see christians for who they are - followers of an elaborate cult.

It wasn't me, lol :HaHa:

Heck anyone that's been chatting with me knows I am struggling enough.

So, just wanted to clear the air about that.

No it wasn't you Kathlene. I have read your posts and you are very 'tenderhearted'. I wish you would go to the post (Who was the stenographer?) and help me with one of your answers. I promise not to attack you!LOL

No it wasn't you Kathlene. I have read your posts and you are very 'tenderhearted'. I wish you would go to the post (Who was the stenographer?) and help me with one of your answers. I promise not to attack you!LOL

Sorry Margee I dont post in here in a christian capacity anymore. I dont have the skillset for it or the ability at this stage in my life. Im just finding it all too hard and confusing at the moment. Thankyou for you lovely comments though, I appreciate them.

Sorry Margee I dont post in here in a christian capacity anymore. I dont have the skillset for it or the ability at this stage in my life. Im just finding it all too hard and confusing at the moment. Thankyou for you lovely comments though, I appreciate them.

Good luck - my darling 'humanistic' friend (who is searching). I totally respect you.

• Like 1

What a dehumanizing passage. What a way to turn someone with whom we are in conflict into "the other"..."the enemy."

Yuck.

Phanta

The only person I actively tried to convert when Christian was a Mormon. Otherwise, like you Margee, I was too timid. Mostly I was afraid of being made fun of.

But last summer (no longer Christian) I decided, just for fun, to go to a Bible Study set up by the younger people where I work (Wall Drug; lots of college students). Anyway, I went with a roommate and the first thing out of her mouth when we entered was "I brought a new recruit." I was so shocked and annoyed that by the time I thought of something to say it was too late. Then I also heard that same roommate talking about converting a co-worker and say something like "We almost have him."

What the hell? Is there a point system for whoever converts the most people?

I hated "witnessing". Part of me didn't want people to go to hell, but part of me always questioned what it was I was trying to sell them. When I took a look at what I believed it was almost as if I could see why people thought it was bullshit. I said to myself, "if it was me on the other end of this conversation, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with this crazy religion." Maybe that's the reason I never was successful in leading anyone to christianity. They could probably tell that deep down I thought it was crap.

LMFAO! Yes, I'm sure there is.

I remember thinking like that original poster.

I remember arguing in chat rooms from the other side of the fence.

I remember the weariness.( Party that weariness comes from the dissonance. I eventually "gottired"...not of unbelievers, but of the Bible being SO HARD to defend. So much energy and time to answer the hard questions.)

But I didn't send people ugly messages. I just left the chat room. Christians don't have to be here. They can leave if they are tired of impertinent questions. they can leave if our conversations offend them. As someone pointed out, this is our sanctuary.

:Doh:

I never really witnessed to people as a christian. If anyone asked me what I believed I would tell them. What I witnessed in the church was that people don't give a flying fuck about those they are witnessing to. Just another bizarre practice to impress their holy friends in their sad little holier than thou club.

I saw a lot of people with serious problems dragged into the church kicking and screaming on the promise that god would make it all better. Then, when they didn't turn into perfect middle class robots in six months they were ignored then dismissed as never having had "the penny drop". Charming.\

Margee, don't expect any respect from this lot, you won't get it.

Back when I was a teen-ager, I went with others to hand out fliers about camp meetings, revivals, etc. But there wasn't really any witnessing going on. I tended to go with the idea that we should befriend someone first, before laying on the preaching. A couple of years ago, I witnessed to a guy at work who was having some difficulties and looking for answers. I have remained close to this guy, and we talk about everything. Oddly enough, outside of my wife, he was the first person I told that I was leaving Christianity.

LMFAO! Yes, I'm sure there is.

Yeah, kinda. I remember being told that I would get jewels on my crown in heaven for each person I converted. What a load of rubbish. It makes me wonder about evangelists who go claiming huge numbers of people converted in one night...

Just another example of xians LOVING their fellow man! If you question the insanity of their babble you are instantly "evil" and a troublemaking "ebil" one! :lmao:

• Super Moderator

Ex-C makes a bad mission field for the active Christian. Most of us know more about the Bible and Christianity than they do; after all, they're still in the religion and we're not.

Christians don't really want to cast their pearls before swine or give what is holy unto dogs, Matthew 7:6.

I don't know much about swine other than they taste good as ham, pork chops, and loin roasts. But as for dogs, I love them greatly. They are wonderful creatures and if there were really anything holy, I'd surely give it to my two dogs. But since there isn't, I'll give them the occasional treat and a lot of love.

But, seriously, sorry you went through this and I hope your request will be honored by Christians who want to "speak" with you to do so publicly.

Sounds like this unnamed Xtian needs to be reminded that dogs and pigs are both smarter than sheep.

• Like 2

:lmao:

Sounds like this unnamed Xtian needs to be reminded that dogs and pigs are both smarter than sheep.

There are those who become/remain christians because they at least partly believe in and care for the stuff in their book; being ex-c's we know how questionable that foundation is but at least they act kind of logically, and depending on what parts of the book they value they can (need not... but can) be very kind.

Then there are the others. Those who join the cult not because of anything they believe, but either because they've been beaten into submission (sometimes literally) and now only know how to follow, but not to lead or to just make their own decisions (which kind of is "leading" too, leading themselves), or because they want to be right automatically, always and everywhere.

As I see it, the willfully braindead moron that sent you that reply is clearly of the latter kind. It doesn't care what's written in its cult's book, and it doesn't know. It (believes it) knows that it's right by default because it's in the cult, and that - and the resulting "knowledge" of its herrenrasse status - is all that matters to that sick excuse of a human lifeform.

Guest I Love Dog

I can take a guess who sent that, sounds like something she would say.

lol! She's pretty easy to recognize. Her inane ramblings give her away instantly!