Goodbye Jesus

Relational Theory Of Machines

Legion

Almost certainly - during the design process for FPGAs we use a language called VHDL (also verilog) which is used to describe the functionality required of the device - functions execute in a massively parallel fashion on an FPGA - just like a hardware implemntation.

In order to verify that the VHDL code (implementing many parallel processes) is working correctly, we run simulations on a PC - which of course runs sequential code on a CPU, which of course can be modelled as a Turing Machine. During some searches on this topic I came across the following paper that looks very interesting

It can be shown that if quantum algorithms run on quantum computers, their processing speeds improve exponentially compared to their classical counterparts. However, due to the lack of quantum computers circuit model of quantum algorithms are currently simulated using classical computers to verify their functionalities. On the other hand, software simulation cannot use the intrinsic parallelism of quantum algorithm efficiently. To address the problem, in this paper hardware emulation of quantum algorithms are discussed. To emulate quantum algorithms using FPGAs, a new representation for quantum bits is emulated that improves the emulation of quantum circuits considerably. This representation could be used in both distinct and entangle qubit states.

Also this

A Hardware Relaxation Paradigm for Solving NP-Hard Problems

There have been numerous recent proposals to overcome the barrier of effective computability in

computation, and proposals [5, 7, 12, 16] have been put forward for hypercomputers that could compute

functions which are uncomputable on a Turing machine. The feasibility of building such devices remains in

dispute [8, 26, 34, 9].

I wish I worked on this kind of thing rather than the more mundane stuff....

Hans, Andy, I have not abandoned this thread. I just have other things going on over here.

That's okay. :grin: I only participated to get it going. Besides, I'm quite busy with calculus right now, so my brain just can't handle much more thought processes. My brain is running out of process stack. :P