Goodbye Jesus

What If God Revealed Himself To The World But Was'nt Bible God?

Tabula Rasa

Ok Christians and Muslims, I'd like to ask you this. Let's say an all powerful god exists and decided to reveal it's existence to the world in no uncertain terms.(Light in the sky and voice from heaven.) How would you react if this god (or goddess) was not the god of the bible or the koran, and even went so far as to state that it wasn't. Assume that said god or goddess was benevolent.

oops, I put this in Tot by mistake. Mods could you move this to The Lion's Den please?

Since these types of questions tend to get more answers from the exes than the Christians, I didn't want to reply until I saw several comments from the Christians first. But so far, only one person voted.

I think this is a question many don't want to answer. Assuming a <i>benevolent</i> god revealed itself to not be the Christian and Muslim God, I think the fundies would be the ones who would throw a hissy fit and say "you're not God!" Moderate religious folk, on the other hand, who know right from wrong, would be like "well, it's not the god I believed in, but it's still a good god." That's what I think.

• Super Moderator

Since the Christians aren't responding, I'll just say that back in the day I would have said it's a trick of Satan. I think most fundies would probably feel that way.

Yeah, where are they? Really, they seem not to be afraid to post in other topics here, so why not here?

Come on, Christians (and Muslims), if a god appeared that wasn't the one you were taught to believe in, how would you react? Or is that so "impossible" that if it happened, you'd just assume it's not God?

It's hard to say what I would have thought when I was more conservative, but I think I would have said "Oh--this is the real God. Whoops, I'll start following this one." By my later Christian days, into college, I really did think about this question, and I didn't think it made sense. I didn't believe in the kind of god who was so defined by human culture and convention that it made sense to distinguish "YHVH" from "Allah." I thought "There is God," and that if a human was trying to pursue God, then whatever that being was, that's who they were trying to pursue. The only question left was whether God actually approved of what they were doing.

That's pretty interesting, especially since you were conservative at the time you thought that.

I'd like to know what other ex-Christians who thought about this question at the time they were Christian, have to say about it. Especially since it seems Christians are shying away from this topic.

Yeah, I had a poll up a little while ago that only got one response from a christian. They don't like answering pointed questions that they cannot dance around.

Anywho, I'm not sure what I would have done if I were Christian.

I always assumed, when I was a Christian, that if God did reveal himself the emotions or physical response would have been undeniable. For instance, when you read of all such revelations in the bible it is followed by an involuntary physical response such as finding oneself on knees or such. Or there would be a flooding of the emotions or the mind in some... pseudo-telepathic nature... that would cause the revelation to be absolutely undeniable. Almost like a raping of the soul.

With that being said, if God revealed itself, and was in fact God in all senses of the believed meaning... if it revealed itself and was not what I expected, I would have imagined myself to have been powerless to deny its reality.

But on a side note... agreed, where are the current believers? Man/Woman up and answer.

I'd challenge the 'benevolent, all powerful god' and ask him if he's so powerful and good why doesn't he answer little children's prayers for help when they're being raped and tortured? As he fumbles for an answer I'd find a 2x4 and try to stick up his ass.

Since the Christians aren't responding, I'll just say that back in the day I would have said it's a trick of Satan. I think most fundies would probably feel that way.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

I suspect this would be the case. If there were willing to accept anything else to begin with then they might have already joined us. haha

Interesting question there.

At the risk of reinforcing a stereotype, I would say "trick of the devil"woohoo.gif

But seriously, if there was an unequivocal manifestation from God saying "I'm not the God of the Bible, Y'all", then obviously one would have to re-evaluate one's views about Christianity.

However, I would also like to note that a benevolent, all-powerful God will not act in any other way than the God portrayed in the Bible. I presume by "benevolent" you mean that we are not in any danger from him/her/it. This means that this God does not punish evil. A God like that would not be benevolent because he would just allow evil to happen without doing anything about it, either in this life or in the next. Of course, he/she/it could be incapable of punishing evil which would mean that he/she/it is not God.

ANYWAY, of course, atheists could be asked the same question:

Ok atheists, I'd like to ask you this. Let's say the God of the Bible exists and decided to reveal His existence to the world in no uncertain terms.(Light in the sky and voice from heaven.) How would you react if this God was the bible and even went so far as to state that he was. What would be your reaction?wicked.gif

However, I would also like to note that a benevolent, all-powerful God will not act in any other way than the God portrayed in the Bible. I presume by "benevolent" you mean that we are not in any danger from him/her/it. This means that this God does not punish evil. A God like that would not be benevolent because he would just allow evil to happen without doing anything about it, either in this life or in the next. Of course, he/she/it could be incapable of punishing evil which would mean that he/she/it is not God

ANYWAY, of course, atheists could be asked the same question:

Ok atheists, I'd like to ask you this. Let's say the God of the Bible exists and decided to reveal His existence to the world in no uncertain terms.(Light in the sky and voice from heaven.) How would you react if this God was the bible and even went so far as to state that he was. What would be your reaction?wicked.gif

Well my good man, the god of the bible would not be benevolent either. Because he created evil. Supposedly, Yahweh created Lucifer knowing he'd one day rebel and become Satan. He knew that Adam and Eve couldn't resist the fruit of The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. ( He himself tempted them.) He created hell, knowing that everyone would not get "saved". If the Christian god did exist,he is responsible for all the evil, pain, and suffering in the world, because he made it that way.

However, I would also like to note that a benevolent, all-powerful God will not act in any other way than the God portrayed in the Bible. I presume by "benevolent" you mean that we are not in any danger from him/her/it. This means that this God does not punish evil. A God like that would not be benevolent because he would just allow evil to happen without doing anything about it, either in this life or in the next. Of course, he/she/it could be incapable of punishing evil which would mean that he/she/it is not God.

Depends on how you define "benevolent." A god who encouraged genocide, allowed slavery, excused rape, created evil, and invented a hell where people could be tortured just for their way of thinking does NOT fit my (or any sane) definition of benevolent.

Also depends on how you define "evil." I would include in that definition an all-powerful deity who claims to be all-loving yet does nothing to alleviate suffering of even innocent children. I would NOT include atheists and other free-thinkers who come to a different conclusion than christians — but bible god would, because he's evil.

First off, I'd ask him why he went out of his way to hide himself and why he allowed the bible to be such an obvious mess of contradictions if his message was so damn important.

Then, if he hadn't already zapped me for being so impudent, I'd tell him to go fuck himself. Why not? He's already determined that I'm going to hell for not kowtowing to him -- supposedly knew it before he created the world -- so I'd have nothing to lose.

Ah... you see the problem here is that an all benevolent god cannot exist by itself to explain the world. There must be an evil deity somewhere that is equally as powerful. I believe that christians call this deity satan, he even has his own angels!

Here you go, Still...

Please check out the original Hebrew on the left.

Job 2:10 & 11 http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/job2.pdf Job receives XXXX from God.

Isaiah 45:7 http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/isa45.pdf God creates XXXX.

Amos 3:6 http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/amo3.pdf If there is XXXX in a city, who's responsible?

Micah 1:12 http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/mic1.pdf XXXX came down from the Lord.

Still a Christian?

BAA.

• Super Moderator
Light in the sky and voice from heaven.

As a christian back in the early 1970's, I probably would have thought I was hallucinating and checked myself into the nearest mental hospital for evaluation.

Hmmmm, as an atheist, I think that's what I'd still do......GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I've been waiting for convincing real evidence for decades. If it ever happens, I would believe (after having my mental faculties fully evaluated of course!).

Guest Babylonian Dream

When I was a Christian, I would say, "it's a pointless hypothetical question, as it wouldn't happen anyway. There is only one God and that's the one of the Bible."

I would believe if God made his presence and existence know in such a way that I could not deny it.

Actually, I have asked Christians to pray to their God to do exactly that. They have challenged me to pray, and I have done that as well.

And the outcome... nothing... no signal, no miracle, no sign, just nature and reality continuing playing out what they've always done... My dogs barked. Is that a miracle? I made some coffee. Is that a proof of God? Can't be. Those things are normal and happens all the time. They're natural.

So I want so see something really supernatural and out-of-the-ballpark amazing miracle from you God.

Bring it on!