Goodbye Jesus

Jesus Camp

SirPhoenix

It's only not considered child abuse if it is embraced by the majority. If this were a Muhammad camp in America, the administrators would be investigated for child abuse.

That might be more likely to be investigated but wouldn't matter in court. They would still have to provide evidence of trauma to the child.

One way to change majority opinion is raising awareness. I think the best thing we could do is offer more support for those wanting or trying to escape. If there was a Christian fundamentalism recovery center in my town I'd volunteer.

The biggest problem is that its not necessarily all christian sects.

The evangelicals and pentacostals are the worst, but then you have the very liberal Universal Unitarians. They are opposite ends of the specturm. So you can't just univerally declare christianity a cult or something similar. Sects can and have been.

As to support, look into cult deprogramming programs or something similar. That would be the closest thing around.

Jesus Camp is a good look at where Christians were under Bush. A snap shot of the types of behaviors and "general understandings" that led up to the Dover trial and the like. For a more complete narrative on just how powerful christian politics can be, check out Kingdom Coming by Michelle Goldberg. Last semester I wrote an essay on the Dover trial, and an ethnography on evangelical christians. Jesus Camp is a pretty good snap shot of some of the things I saw (speaking in tongues was frowned upon at the churches I visited). It should be a reminder to all of us that, those kids are probably in their late teens right now, getting ready to infiltrate the world....

My favorite documentary, just rewatched it a few minutes ago after watching David Cronenberg's Videodrome (God I love a good deep mind fuck). I've watched it dozens of times, dissecting it. Love the extra bits with Ted Haggard talking about Arons budding Rod. Yeah Ted, always talking about those holy rods eh?

I keep returning to this flick cause how extreme the fundamentalists are. There are so many levels to see at work in the way the people interact and try to cope with reality. Just walking the street is a huge challenge of these peoples faith. It's no wonder they are trying to round up kids into an army. Kids are the only thing they can talk to that's on their level. And yet seeing the kids parrot their parents and the little bubble of false reality they have surrounded themselves in. I could have endless amounts of discussion with Jesus Camp.

Ran across Jesus Camp on Netflix instant (all hail the great and glorious Netflix). I had heard about this documentary and decided to check it out. OMFZ (oh my fucking zeus). I probably would have been cheering for the Christians a few years back, but today.....wow.

At one point the lady that runs the camp had the kids in the pews and was telling them she KNEW that some of them were liars and hypocrites. She KNEW that they used bad language at school and only acted like Christians on Sunday. She told them they better come up and get cleansed. These poor kids were crying and begging gawd to forgive them for being KIDS for fucks sake. It made me sick to my stomach.

Some Christians are mostly harmless because they go about their business and let their children decide for themselves if they believe or not The Christians in this video are most certainly NOT harmless.

Anyone seen this documentary?

I've seen Jesus Camp and I found it VERY disturbing. There are far to many things about it to list.

post-9162-0-83263100-1296093839_thumb.jpg

Guest Babylonian Dream

Is it child abuse? :scratch:

If you can provide evidence that it has resulted in damage to the child, then yes it is a case of child abuse. Basically we have to start looking at it from a legal perspective, and hopefully more people will start taking action and that will change how the world views fundamentalist indoctrination. We know how terrible it is, we just have to prove it.

It's only not considered child abuse if it is embraced by the majority. If this were a Muhammad camp in America, the administrators would be investigated for child abuse.

If this were Muhammad camp, the faculty would be on the "terrror watchlist" and a few of them hauled of to gitmo, if not all.

You're right about the first one too. Just look at child sexual mutilation, its illegal, unless you're doing it for religious purposes.

I wanted to beat the ever loving shit out of that goddamn spiky-haired cunt.

If this were Muhammad camp, the faculty would be on the "terrror watchlist" and a few of them hauled of to gitmo, if not all.

So you push to change the way things are instead of being a victim. When religion harms people, stand up and do something about it. You can wish in one hand, shit in the other. But see which one fills up first. (i love that quote lol)

You're right about the first one too. Just look at child sexual mutilation, its illegal, unless you're doing it for religious purposes.

Where do you get that from?

I was raised in Spartanburg, SC all of my life. I was brought up in a church very similar to the environment shown in this movie. In face, all most every scene has several elements I can identify with. During my long process of deconversion, the pentecostal stuff was the first to go. Long before I no longer called myself a christian I knew that stuff was crazy. Now, at 22 years old, I still have friends who never left my hometown, still having ties to the church because of their family and location. It is really sad to see this. On top of that I have a 6 year old brother who my family is raising in this same manner as I was. What to do!?!?!/?!? I've tried talking with them and expressed my concerns but they won't reason with me. They don't understand about right to choose your own beliefs. It completely goes over their head. they are that delusional.