Goodbye Jesus

What's The Craziest/stupidest Thing You Did As A Christian

Thank God I'm Atheist

I broke up with a girl because she liked Harry Potter and other "evil" topics.

What are your stories?

I threw out one of my wife's antique paintings of a horse because I thought it had a demon in it.

Cut all my guitar strings. It was an electric guitar and I was learning the music of the devil. I left it that way for months.

Threw out a ton of albums, yes real albums, not CDs.

Of course I could say the stupidist thing I did was to believe it in the first place but that would be too easy.

Oh, yeah. You reminded me. We threw out a whole bunch of vinyls. My brother did too, and I'm quite upset over it. Some really good LPs there.

Turned down lots of teenage girl advances (I was a teen then as well :) Burned a lot of albums from the late 60's and 70's One being my 1967 Jimi Hendrix "Are you experienced" album. Oh to be young again, but this time as an atheist!

Sold or gave away my huge collection of Fantasy/science fiction novels

oh and stay in my marriage :(

Tried to kill myself because I actually believed that "sin in your heart" nonsense. Yeah, being a teen and being angry/horny is WRONG and inexcusable, and you'll burn for it!

:banghead:

I threw away books and music albums.

I gave up my interest and curiosity in science.

Altogether, I gave up myself, stopped being myself and became a puppet. I can't believe how much better I feel now "outside"!

I boxed up my then 300+ CD collection and nearly came within an inch of throwing them away, but threw out all my Oasis stuff because I kept hearing their songs in my head and their hold on me was extra strong.

Took to the streets with bible in tow and watched people run from me as I approached them with my smiling face.

Thanked the girl I was dating for being a "virtuous woman of god" in resisting my advances even after she told me she wasn't.

I threw off a small bridge a necklace I had made myself because an InterVarsity staff leader thought it had a demon attached to it, because the pendant contained a rose quartz that I had purchased at a New Age shop downtown. The leader said that he had "done some research" on what New Age shops do with their stuff and claimed the merchandise was "offered up to demons" before it was sold.

I was very upset by this suggestion and talked to a friend from the group about it, who agreed with the staff leader and convinced me that a material object was not worth arguing about. The two ideas together convinced me to do it, "just in case"... especially the 2nd argument.

As soon as I did it, I immediately regretted it. Along with the necklace I felt like I was also throwing away my skepticism and right to choose for myself what to make and wear.

I put Orjel on my clitorus to stop any sexual feeling. Damn! it burned!

• Like 1

When I got "saved" I threw out all my albums (hundreds of them) because they were worldly. I made several large donations to the church, I purchased an overkill amount of books on Christianity and nothing else. Probably the stupidest thing I did was I got up and street preached at a really bad part of town, surprised I'm still here today :P

I had a whole bunch of 'why I became an atheist' and 'leaving the fold' books a few years back and when I decided to get back in the church - I had the pastor and his wife over for supper and we burned all the books that night and 'cleansed' my house of demons!

Oh to have those books back! :woohoo:

Another foolish thing I did was to 'pray over' and hang 'crosses' on all the computers in the house so nobody would go on the 'no-no' sites! Didn't work................:scratch:

at the stairwell of the university, 2 pentecoastals praying over me to get baptised in the holy spirit, both speaking in tongues and i almost "broke into speaking in tongues" but just couldm"t fake it out

yucks

at the stairwell of the university, 2 pentecoastals praying over me to get baptised in the holy spirit, both speaking in tongues and i almost "broke into speaking in tongues" but just couldm"t fake it out

yucks

pratt - I would have loved to be a 'fly on the wall' and watch that!! :twitch: that is tooooooo funny!:lmao:

I had a whole bunch of 'why I became an atheist' and 'leaving the fold' books a few years back and when I decided to get back in the church - I had the pastor and his wife over for supper and we burned all the books that night and 'cleansed' my house of demons!

Another foolish thing I did was to 'pray over' and hang 'crosses' on all the computers in the house so nobody would go on the 'no-no' sites! Didn't work................:scratch:

Wait, you had books about leaving Christianity, then you returned? Or were you "backsliding", or just temporarily having a reduction in faith?

As for the "no-no" sites, who else in your house was going to them, if your family was entirely Christian?

Guest I Love Dog

Guys, there's no way I can compete with any of you! My Christianity must have been pseudo!

Thanks for all the amazing replies. I truly never realized that things like that went on because of a belief.

I wonder what answers would be like for non-belief. Does anyone do crazy things for a non-belief? Hmmm. Not that I can think of.

Wait, you had books about leaving Christianity, then you returned? Or were you "backsliding", or just temporarily having a reduction in faith?

As for the "no-no" sites, who else in your house was going to them, if your family was entirely Christian?

All the nice little christians!!:shrug: And yes, I have been trying to get 'out' for a very long time - but they kept draggin' me back with the 'truth'!:Wendywhatever: Everybody's being good now that I removed the 'crosses!':shrug:

I wonder what answers would be like for non-belief. Does anyone do crazy things for a non-belief? Hmmm. Not that I can think of.

Well, we are all human, so we are always doing something stupid. Getting into a debate with a die hard Christian and try to explain to the the fallacies of their bible would be a stupid/futile effort.

• Like 1

I was passing out tracts once at the local state fair, and I guess I had made up my mind to only pass out one to each passing party. Well, of course, my tendency was to hand it to the ladies rather than to guys, which just about got me in a physical confrontation after not too long...

I too was one of the many who got rid of an entire album collection. I also had heaps of cassettes of songs taped off the radio, some for bands that I can't even remember who never even made it to one-hit-wonder status. I wish I could remember them.

Brought up my family in the Catholic faith - my wife wasn't that fussed. My youngest is currently going through first holy communion classes so I still have to go to church :twitch:

Threw away my copy of "the Life of Brian" in the early 1990's - haven't watched it since! But I have just bought a copy and will sit down with my entire family to watch it!:grin:

Threw away my copy of "the Life of Brian" in the early 1990's - haven't watched it since! But I have just bought a copy and will sit down with my entire family to watch it!:grin:

I watched it recently, liked it a lot, hence the avatar of the mother of God.smile.gif

Talking about throwing away books: I did it myself out of zeal (as well as throwing away albums and posters of my favourite pop stars because it's "idoltary"), but I remember when a friend of my father's wife, who was already in the Church for a long time when they converted and were still young Christians, went over to their house and told my father's wife what books she needs to throw away. Looking back, now it's so horrible to me. I mean, someone goes to your house and tells you to throw away your favourite books. How is that? I remember she had to throw away her collection of Attila József poetry ( he is one of our most significant poets: http://en.wikipedia....ila_J%C3%B3zsef ) and she was a big fan of this poet before she converted....

But oh yeah, religion is no enemy of science and culture..... :Hmm:

(Recently I found two picture albums about evolution. These are old books, I remember reading them as a small child and I loved the pictures in them and also the story it told - how plants and animals and humans evolved. I don't know how they survived my 20 years of Xtianity but we still have them and I'm so glad we do and I have found them again! Reminds me of my innocent, curious pre-Xtian childhood!)

Threw away my copy of "the Life of Brian" in the early 1990's - haven't watched it since! But I have just bought a copy and will sit down with my entire family to watch it!

Oh, "Life of Brian". I didn't dare to watch it when I was a Xtian, but I recently have watched parts of it on YT and it's so freaking funny! And also true! :HaHa: