Goodbye Jesus

Researchers Aim To Resurrect Mammoth In Five Years

agnosticator

Japanese researchers will clone a Mammoth using an elephant egg:

by Shingo Ito Shingo Ito – Mon Jan 17, 5:44 am ET

TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

Full article

This is almost too awesome. It sounds eerily like Jurassic Park though.

This is COOL science!

Noooo! You can't! God killed them for some reason! We'll bring down God's wrath if we do!!!

:fdevil:

How about having a miniature mammoth as a pet?

If that works, it would be incredible.

can they resurrect jesus if they find his blood from the spear that poked his side?

what happen if we can find the blood of jesus and clone one.

Can we say,,,, this is the man-made son, not begotten?

or the original adam if we can find his fossils?

Playing God FTW.

• Like 2

Guest Babylonian Dream

We'd be doing this, but people are too afraid that they're trying to be mythological creatures for doing so. It does sound eerily like jurassic park. There was a story that sounded even more like Jurassic Park, where a scientist made teeth on a chicken by turning on certain genes while it was developing in the egg or something to that nature.

Knowing the Japanese, they will accidentally irradiate it somehow and it will grow to enormous size and threaten Tokyo.

• Like 2

or Godzilla

Knowing the Japanese, they will accidentally irradiate it somehow and it will grow to enormous size and threaten Tokyo.

And then, they'll make a ten-movie series about it. :HaHa:

Hope it works!

That will rock. It won't quite be a mammoth, though. It'll have mitochondrial dna from a modern elephant.

• 4 weeks later...

They should make a bunch of breeding pairs and release them into northern Siberia. That would be fuckin' EPIC.

• Like 1

Yea, sure they will;

Its amazing how some people will believe in this but they won't believe in heaven or hell

That's because we have actual mammoth DNA and the technology to tinker with it, but not a shred of credible evidence for heaven or hell.

I, Myself know someone who knows how to analyze and manipulate DNA. I've seen his work with his own eyes, and I know enough about biology to actually understand it. 'Belief' has nothing to do with it; I have first-hand knowledge.

And a copy of his Ph.D. thesis and links to his peer-reviewed journal articles.

Science FTW! :woohoo:

Yea, sure they will;

Its amazing how some people will believe in this but they won't believe in heaven or hell

Let's see, one requires belief with absolutely no evidence except for a bronze aged goat herders document while the other rests on cutting edge science with vast arrays of peer reviewed documents available at peoples discretion. Of course, they're exactly the same situation to compare and ridicule with! Pffft.

Yea, sure they will;

It's not like they haven't done something similar with dna from non-extinct species. So long as the dna is sufficiently intact, it shouldn't matter that its old as hell.

• Super Moderator

Yea, sure they will;

I know what you mean. Some people believe in nuclear power and internal combustion engines but not Behanzin, the West African fish god.

Crazy world, huh?

• Like 3

Yea, sure they will;

I've got some news for you Yakuza: The Bible actually mentions humans having the potential to do something like this.

Genesis chapter 11-Verses 1-9

1And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

2And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.

3And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

4And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

6And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

7Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.

8So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

9Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

Yahweh (and his kin, the Elohim) see the potential of human beings and it scares them so badly, they mix up the languages so humanity cannot be completely united.

Whether or not there is a god, a group of determined, like minded humans working together can achieve great goals. Mankind has split the atom, walked on the moon, and who knows what we might accomplish next?

As for the existence of heaven or hell, there needs to be some proof of said realms before people believe them. Too many people seem to think science is all test tubes and bunsen burners, but all science is, is asking a question about something, then trying to figure it out by trial and error experimentation and observation.

For what it's worth, I'd like to think there is some sort of supreme being, but if it's not going to give me concrete evidence of it's existence, then I'm just wasting my time believing in something I don't have proof of. If there is a God or (or gods) they know how the human mind works, and if they want us to believe in them, they'll offer evidence that will prove their existence to us. Not all this smoke and mirrors crap, with people thinking they see Jesus in a piece of toast etc. Any god who truly wants us to believe in it, will offer irrefutable evidence that it exists.

Great point, TR! If God was so worried about a "tower" poking a hole in heaven, the things that we are doing now that was just science fiction a few years ago, should have Him really worried! Following Yakuza's logic, God should have stopped us from going to the moon.

Yea, sure they will;

You're typing on a highly sophisticated piece of technology and communicating with people around the world at incredible speeds, yet you still think science is just silly unfeasible crap? When your god does something to improve the lives of everyone let me know.

Why the fuck do we need woolly mammoths again? Why can't scientists work with DNA to find cures for diseases, and not fool around making novelties like bringing extinct animals to life? What would we use the mammoths for? As animals to hunt down for wealthy hunters? Pets?

Why the fuck do we need woolly mammoths again? Why can't scientists work with DNA to find cures for diseases, and not fool around making novelties like bringing extinct animals to life? What would we use the mammoths for? As animals to hunt down for wealthy hunters? Pets?

Mammoth burgers? :shrug:

• Like 1