Goodbye Jesus

Researchers Aim To Resurrect Mammoth In Five Years

agnosticator

Mammoth burgers? :shrug:

:HaHa:

Gives you a new perspective of supersized combo...

:HaHa:Gives you a new perspective of supersized combo...

My concern is mammoths will just become some kind of luxury item and not be used for beneficial purposes. I can imagine someone whose wealthy (like Paris Hilton) buying one as an exotic pet, rather than the mammoths being put to good use as food, and other useful things, for everyone. Also what about the competition between animal species (as we don't want to resurrect one species and they destroy others)? Remember in the Jurassic Park novels the dinosaur caused modern species to go extinct when the dinos were introduced to the islands.

Why the fuck do we need woolly mammoths again?

Why do we need televisions? Why do we need our favorite music? Why do we need pizza? Why do we need our favorite clothes? We don't need mammoths, but it would be cool. They don't have to explicitly serve a practical purpose.

Why can't scientists work with DNA to find cures for diseases, and not fool around making novelties like bringing extinct animals to life?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Also, it could lead to a greater understanding of genetics in general.

What would we use the mammoths for? As animals to hunt down for wealthy hunters? Pets?

Novelties. I imagine most of them would be kept in zoos.

My concern is mammoths will just become some kind of luxury item and not be used for beneficial purposes. I can imagine someone whose wealthy (like Paris Hilton) buying one as an exotic pet, rather than the mammoths being put to good use as food, and other useful things, for everyone.

So what if this happens? Why should everything have a specific utilitarian purpose? Besides, selling mammoths to the rich might provide funding for other projects with direct benefits to man kind.

Also what about the competition between animal species (as we don't want to resurrect one species and they destroy others)? Remember in the Jurassic Park novels the dinosaur caused modern species to go extinct when the dinos were introduced to the islands.

I don't think large animals like these would be hard to eradicate if we needed to. Look at what a good job people do of decimating the populations of existing elephants.

Why the fuck do we need woolly mammoths again? Why can't scientists work with DNA to find cures for diseases, and not fool around making novelties like bringing extinct animals to life? What would we use the mammoths for? As animals to hunt down for wealthy hunters? Pets?

How about fur coasts made with mammoth hide? Of course, such a coat might be a bit heavy considering how thick elephant hide is.

My concern is mammoths will just become some kind of luxury item and not be used for beneficial purposes. I can imagine someone whose wealthy (like Paris Hilton) buying one as an exotic pet, rather than the mammoths being put to good use as food, and other useful things, for everyone. Also what about the competition between animal species (as we don't want to resurrect one species and they destroy others)? Remember in the Jurassic Park novels the dinosaur caused modern species to go extinct when the dinos were introduced to the islands.

Let's try to avoid basing our fears on movies. It's just sad.

There really is no point to bringing back mammoths- except to learn stuff. But the research alone will make it worthwhile. A project like that will probably yield improvements in genetics and cloning... not to mention the side effect of learning more about a now-extinct critter.

Everybody is scared of cloning and the like... it's a popular horror-theme in pop culture. But genetic manipulation is just another technology... one that promises all manner of benefits. Personally, I'm looking forward to when they can build solar-powered meat-factories. Why raise the whole critter? Just farm the muscles... and maybe some hearts and livers to keep things running.

Finding out that we can clone healthy mammoths would be a great benefit to science, because then we can use this and replicate it with other species that are currently dying out due to hunting and reintroduce a broader genetic base for re population.

I agree with rank stranger on the farming meat idea, despite being a vegan, such a method would be beneficial. With just farming muscle there is no sentient life to kill.

There is also a researcher that believes reintroducing large herbivores from the ice age to Siberia would help balance out the warming going on there, which would have great beneficiary effects to the people of Siberia, where the thaw is causing massive infrastructure damage.

Well, if cloning mammoths created jobs in our bad economy then perhaps it would be a good idea. Anyway, I would think through cloning scientists could keep the population in check rather than allow them to breed without any restraint. :shrug: