Goodbye Jesus

Christmas is coming

Poonis

Just saw the xmas decorations go up at Lowe's today. Since the xmas season has apparently started, I am apparently not out of season to ask what the rest of the non-christians do for the christmas holiday.

Personally, I sit home and wait it out.

Any non-christians who don't celebrate christmas live in MN?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vigile

• Merlinfmct87

• Lizard

• a midnight star

Just saw the xmas decorations go up at Lowe's today. Since the xmas season has apparently started, I am apparently not out of season to ask what the rest of the non-christians do for the christmas holiday.

Personally, I sit home and wait it out.

Any non-christians who don't celebrate christmas live in MN?

Poonis, I don't believe you brought THIS subject up! Give me at least another month of peace before I have to begin plotting the demise of X-mas.

I REALLY do hate X-mas. Fuck waiting it out. X-mas MUST be stopped from coming!

Poonis, I don't believe you brought THIS subject up!  Give me at least another month of peace before I have to begin plotting the demise of X-mas.

I REALLY do hate X-mas.  Fuck waiting it out.  X-mas MUST be stopped from coming!

At least you are in character.

Myself, I'd like another month of peace. Ugh. Anybody remember thanksgiving, much less Halloween?

Merlin

I can't wish Christmas away. I love my family and friends. I don't want to sit in my room and watch TV when the people I love the most are downstairs.

I know this is going to sound horrible, but I am also going to church. My brothers live out of state and my sister works overnights. I can't bear to let my mother go to the midnight mass on Christmas Eve alone. I love her more than I hate church, and if it means that I can make her happy I will go.

At least you are in character.

"In character"? What's that strange man talking about, Max?

"In character"?  What's that strange man talking about, Max?

There are laws against animal cruelty, Max. You have rights. Here's my card.. I think you have a case!

Merlin

I love her more than I hate church, and if it means that I can make her happy I will go.

I love what you just said. That's not the Christian in me talking......it's the mother and daughter in me.

Tap

This question is so early!

I do celebrate Christmas. Not the party kind, just quiet style.

-----

Folks:

Buy Unicef Christmas cards! Help the kids!

This year I shall be working in one Unicef X'mas kiosk in the Mall!

I do have a solstice tree planned. I don't put an angel/star or whatnot at the top, though... something really original with some ornaments and beads. Looks beautiful, especially if you string some lights around it... really catches the light and creates something majestic.

Um, yeah. I like to decorate.

Merlin

Christmas at my house, growing up, was all about Santa Claus, and Easter was all about the Easter Bunny. Religion didn't even enter into it. Kind of like Halloween, or the Fourth of July. It's a good way to go, I think. I was just lucky that way, I guess.

Edit for the benefit of any fundy nutjobs: When I say "all about" Santa . . . oh forget it.

I celebrate with my family, even though they bring religion into it. It's better than staying at home by myself with nothing else to do. And yes, I'll go to church with the relatives, but that's because it's better than arguing with them about it.

I figure, if the christians "stole" the festivity from the pagans......then I have every right to steal it and make what I want of it myself!

I see it as the one day a year I make sure to show the people who are special to me that I care for them. I do this by giving them gifts (the people I care for deserve to own the things they want), by feeding them, and spending time with them.

Granted, a few lucky close friends get such treatment from me more than once a year.....so for THEM I try to make sure the gifts I give them will be something the will REALLY appreciate! Double happiness to me if I can surprise them! They know me better, so surprising them can be a fun challenge.

I don't see a reason not to celebrate it... although the other night this topic came up at dinner with the inlaws. The MIL wants us to give her back all the gifts she's given us and not come around her house, whether we want food, family time, or presents. She was not kidding, although I bet she won't feel that way when Christmas comes around. She is dead set on making us feel guilty for deconverting.

We just told her we do it because it's when everyone else gets together with family, so to make it convenient for everyone, we want to include ourselves. We also reminded her Christmas was stolen from the pagan winter solstice festival, so we said we could get all Christmas-y and get a pagan tree and such and get really festive. That pissed her off. ;)

I can't wish Christmas away. I love my family and friends. I don't want to sit in my room and watch TV when the people I love the most are downstairs.

I know this is going to sound horrible, but I am also going to church. My brothers live out of state and my sister works overnights. I can't bear to let my mother go to the midnight mass on Christmas Eve alone. I love her more than I hate church, and if it means that I can make her happy I will go.

Surly,

I'm going to Christmas Mass with my mom too if possible. Same reason.

The only Christian thing about Christmas for me has been church and giving a wrapped Jesus video to friends and profs. Those things are gone. But I will do whatever possible with my family and friends. And I will go along with the Santa Claus thing a little too.

I was never really that into Christmas. I was way into the Incarnation and thought about it pretty much every day of the year. And then had to work on Christmas the last few years.

Peace,

GiantBear

yep yep yep.. exactly.. everyone still goes along with the Calendar.

I usually work since everyone I work with assumes because I couldn't care less about it that I don't care to be with my other family.

We go to my inlaws in the morning for breakfast, and then back again for dinner. It's my grandmotherinlaw's birthday, so we remember her that day, too.

Until I got some Christian calendar relatives I never did anything that day, but now I eat good.

I kinda celebrate it - parties, lights, presents. But my family has always been pretty secular about it, too. Plus, like Pandora, I tend to look at it from the pagan side.

And ultimately, Xmas is just a fun winter holiday! We've attached way too much significance to it.

Love Christmas! Trees with pretty lights and snowmen and santas..yup, always have.

Last year, I even made an advent wreath in memory of my mother. She always attempted to make them, but they never came out too good. She was usually drunk and not religious. For her, it was part of her German/Lutheran heritage.

I have a pic somewhere..maybe I'll share it later assuming I can find it..off to work now!

I selected other. Here in Russia no body celebrates xmas, other than to maybe do a shot of vodka (they will do that at the drop of a hat anyway).

New Years Day is the big holiday here and we get two of them; one from the Roman calendar and the other from the old Russian calendar a little over a week later.

New Years means about 10 days of holidays with presents, lots of vodka, lots of food . New Years Eve means standing outside watching fireworks at 2 a.m., and having a big party with your family and friends. Everyone sings, dances, gets drunk and eats. Two months before everyone is in a hurry to reserve their favorite restaurants for NYE parties.

We do have a santa figure though. His name is Ded Morose. It translates into Father Frost, but he pretty much looks like Santa in blue and is morphing more and more into Santa the more Western marketers move in to sell their xmas theme. Det Morose has a neice named Sniguritchka (Snow Girl), who looks like Swiss Miss, that has long blond hair tied up into to two braids.

Sniguritchka.jpg

God I love it here.

Vegas, baby - Vegas!!!

I am apparently not out of season to ask what the rest of the non-christians do for the christmas holiday.

I don't know about the rest of the gang, but I'll celebrate Yuletide :fdevil:

Just saw the xmas decorations go up at Lowe's today.

Wow, it's not even Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day yet. Hell, it's not even HALLOWEEN yet!! :eek:

They start decorating early... I haven't seen a store decorate that early yet, though...

ANYWAY

Short answer: For Christmas, I return to my childhood home.

It's not really stressful to me. Advent calendars (one chocolate a day)... oh man... Is it December yet?! :woohoo:

Celebrate it of course. Christmas for me equals presents, watching DVDs or playing video games, and a big turkey dinner. Religion plays absolutely no part in it for me, though my parents have recently started going to church on Christmas Eve. All I can say is that they'd better keep me out of it.

they will do that at the drop of a hat anyway

Any hat?

:HaHa:

Christmas has lately become just another day off from work for my parents.... We might occaisionally give a few gifts and eat dinner at a relative's house.

Don't celebrate it. Christmas for me has always been plagued by bad

events - cars stolen, dogs dying, etc., etc. I usually hunker down and

hope the Christmas Curse isn't too damned awful this year.

Some of my neighbors turned on their outside Xmas lights...must be Christian fundies... :Doh:

So, Merry Xmas everyone! :eek: