Goodbye Jesus

Christmas is coming

Poonis

I know this is going to sound horrible, but I am also going to church. My brothers live out of state and my sister works overnights. I can't bear to let my mother go to the midnight mass on Christmas Eve alone. I love her more than I hate church, and if it means that I can make her happy I will go.

Don't beat yourself up . . . I love the music at Christmas eve at the "old churches." We always say we're going one year -- but we don't. I doesn't mean "we believe," -- I guess we just like the "drama!" LOL!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vigile

• Merlinfmct87

• Lizard

• a midnight star

Some of my neighbors turned on their outside Xmas lights...must be Christian fundies...

Either that, or too impatient to wait until December.

The only time growing up that my mother was decent was during christmas time. It was the one time of the year that she was actually nice!! Most of my good childhood memories happened during christmas time. Because of this, we will always celebrate christmas.

On an unemotional level:

Christmas and it's tell tale signs all have pagan roots. Not christian ones.

The tree is pagan

The yule log is pagan

Decorating the tree is pagan

The time of year was picked for the same reason Easter was picked. The christians liked to put their holidays to coinside with pagan celebrations so that the pagans would feel "comfortable".

Besides, most of christmas in modern times really does not have anything to do with religion. It is mass marketing of Santa Clause and presents. I still believe in Joy, peace, and goodwill towards men. I think that it is important to remind ourselves that this is how we should be. For some it takes this time of year for them to do so.

I'm one of those people who can get depressed on xmas. Especially since the kids are grown and live on the other coast; especially since all our parents have died. Sorry. You caught me at an off time. But I don't look forward to this xmas without any of them around. And we've never been religious. So who cares. :Wendywhatever:

Well despite being 24 and living on my own, my family still gives me presents- so I go with it. However I don't put up and decorations in my own place

Any hat?

:HaHa:

Christmas has lately become just another day off from work for my parents.... We might occaisionally give a few gifts and eat dinner at a relative's house.

Any hat or no hat. The stereotype of Russian's liking their vodka rings true. Most striking however is the fact that you can walk down any street and see young men in leather jackets walking around with bottles of beer. They like their beer more than vodka and even though they recently outlawed public drinking, you wouldn't know it.

Don't beat yourself up . . . I love the music at Christmas eve at the "old churches."  We always say we're going one year -- but we don't.  I doesn't mean "we believe," -- I guess we just like the "drama!"  LOL!

I'm with you and Midnight Star. The holiday holds good memories for me and I even like the religious songs. I could probably still get teary eyed with "Away in the Manger."

Who cares, right? It's not like it has any meaning. If you are like me, you have really strong happy emotional anchors tied to the holiday. My mom used to decorate the house, bake cookies for two weeks, and all of our relatives would come over for a nice time. For me it was never about religion, it's about the culture that I was raised in.

Up here in the winter wonderland that is Maine, my entire family (uncles, aunts, cousins, 2nd counsins, friends of family, etc) all gather at my grandmothers house on christmas eve for a big family get together. Secret santa, tree, rugrats under foot. Wouldn't miss it (and haven't missed a year yet, no matter where I'd ended up in the world). It's never really had any overtly religous conontations for us, though some members of my family are very religous, everybody is smart enough to not make it an issue.

Christmas, X-mas, Yultetide, Solstice, whatever...I want me some presents!

:woohoo:

I'm with you and Midnight Star.  The holiday holds good memories for me and I even like the religious songs.  I could probably still get teary eyed with "Away in the Manger." 

Who cares, right?  It's not like it has any meaning.  If you are like me, you have really strong happy emotional anchors tied to the holiday.  My mom used to decorate the house, bake cookies for two weeks, and all of our relatives would come over for a nice time.  For me it was never about religion, it's about the culture that I was raised in.

It was the entire atmosphere around the house. Other than this holiday my home was so stressful and tense that you could feel it the second you walked in the door. I have a 4 year old and I feel as if I would be cheating him the whole christmas experience if we didn't celebrate. I want him to know and have the same wonderful memories I had.

It's not really stressful to me. Advent calendars (one chocolate a day)... oh man... Is it December yet?! :woohoo:

Advent Calendars! Shit! I gotta git to the World Market before they sell out! Missed 'em last year, waited until November to go..

*grabs keys, runs out door screaming incoherently about chocolate calendars*

*runs back in*

..really should at least put on shoes, huh?

I was Miss Messianic Jew last year and stole Christmas away from the kids.  This year, we're getting a tree, we'll enjoy making cookies and decorations, etc.  The only thing that won't make it out this year is the nativity scene.

Aww..at least you're giving it back to them!

I'm even putting out the Nativity Scene..paid almost $80 for that silly thing, it ain't staying in the box! Besides, its the whole Bethlehem Village..really cool with palm trees and animals and women carrying water buckets..

AND...it lights up :grin:

Right beside it goes the Troll Mr. and Mrs. Claus..

• 2 weeks later...

How can you hate christmas? I view it as a celebration of gifts and family and non christian christmas aspects. What's wrong with celebrating a pagan myth anyways?

We should change the name back to Saturalias as the ancient Romans called Dec 25.

We should change the name back to Saturalias as the ancient Romans called Dec 25.

100993[/snapback]

Not Festivus?

Does festivus have an orgy?

j/k

I'm for any holiday with an orgy.

In actuality, I will probably celebrate Christmas the way the Valdes household always has:

Between Dec. 14 and Dec. 20 - Girlfriend's parents come to Jacksonville (during this time, I will come home only to shower and sleep).

On or around December 23 - My parents will invite me and the girlfriend over for Christmas dinner. I will not be home and my girlfriend will tell them that she has to check with me.

December 24... around 6:00PM - I, who was not advised by my girlfriend of the plans to go over to my parent's house on the 25th, will swing by early so I can sleep in on Christmas Day and enjoy my day off from work. This is the opening volley in "The 31st Annual Valdes Family Christmas War."

December 24th... around 9:00PM - I will be invited to Midnight Mass. Unlike a previous poster, I don't love either of my parents more than I hate church, so I will tell them no.

December 24th... around 9:30PM - Operation "Guilt the Son" begins.

December 24th... around 10:00PM - Counterattack operation, "Shut the fuck up, mom" launches in response to "Guilt the Son."

December 24th... around 11:30PM - Unbeknownst to the primary combatants, the Senior Mr. Valdes has been listening to the sounds of verbal gunfire from the bedroom. He launches Operation "Don't talk to your mother that way even if she is a bitch" to the great consternation of all involved.

December 24th... around 11:35PM - My forces will be in orderly retreat, following the, "Fuck this, I'm out of here" pattern well established in previous years.

December 25th... around 2:00AM - My mother, filled with the Joy of the Lard, will call, waking me up, to apologize for Operation Guilt the Son. I, who only want to go back to sleep, will mumble something incoherent. This somehow breaks our tentative treaty and launches Operation "I don't know where we went wrong!" Upon hearing incoming fire, I rely on the old standby of severing enemy communications by hanging up the phone.

December 25... around 1:00PM - We all gather in the DMZ to eat a bird.

December 25... around 2:30PM - My girlfriend's father, blissfully unaware of the tension in this blasted wasteland of a war zone, will become drunk and shift all attention to his slurred racist remarks.

December 25... around 4:00PM - My forces go into full retreat, leaving behind the wounded (my girlfriend) and dying (her father) and usually walk home.

December 25... around 8:00PM - The second apology call from my mother is made.

December 25... around 10:00PM - After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the non-agression treaty is finally signed...

Until next Christmas.

At what point does the vacuum cleaner get launched through the front window?

That was The 20th Annual Valdes Family Christmas War. My mom did something special for the "Two Decades of Dysfunction" anniversary and destroyed everything in the living room.

The fourteen pound, ceramic Little Drummer Boy would have been a great finalé if I would've been conscious to see it explode on the ground. Unfortunately, my head was between my mom and my dad, so the trajectory was necessarily shortened and I needed stitches.

Does festivus have an orgy? 

j/k

101084[/snapback]

Are you kidding?

On Festivus eve Santa brings you a beautiful maiden:

Snig.jpg

You drink lots of vodka and then the orgy begins:

Snig_during.jpg

Then in the morning you rest:

Snig_After.jpg

Well, I have a 4 kids - two still in diapers and I'll be darned if I won't put up a tree, blinky-blinky lights, candles, wreaths, an HO train set, oversized stockings, pile presents under the tree, and plan on making a roast beast (or sweet and sour pork and fried rice) for Christmas - the middle of our New Years fest - which runs from Dec 22nd to Jan 1st (where we'd usually have first cheese and then chocolate fondue).

There will be mead, ice wine, hot cider with apple brandy, and coffee with any liqueur you care for in it. Sparkling apple cider and hot chocolate for the kids.

I'll suggest the older kids bake cookies for Santa. Maybe a pie for dessert.

Winter holiday music - Lorrie Morgan comes to mind.

I expect I'll be wearing a pointy red hat at some point - probably while assembling things and/or installing batteries.

... and then it will be 2006.

I love all the days of Saturnalia to the New Year. All pagan, all the time.

I celebrate all holidays involving food, especially with family.

Can't endure the parents' church, though. Dull, and they love talking about what worthless worms they are. More like a dirge.

I'm for any holiday with an orgy.

In actuality, I will probably celebrate Christmas the way the Valdes household always has:

Between Dec. 14 and Dec. 20 - Girlfriend's parents come to Jacksonville (during this time, I will come home only to shower and sleep).

On or around December 23 - My parents will invite me and the girlfriend over for Christmas dinner. I will not be home and my girlfriend will tell them that she has to check with me.

December 24... around 6:00PM - I, who was not advised by my girlfriend of the plans to go over to my parent's house on the 25th, will swing by early so I can sleep in on Christmas Day and enjoy my day off from work. This is the opening volley in "The 31st Annual Valdes Family Christmas War."

December 24th... around 9:00PM - I will be invited to Midnight Mass. Unlike a previous poster, I don't love either of my parents more than I hate church, so I will tell them no.

December 24th... around 9:30PM - Operation "Guilt the Son" begins.

December 24th... around 10:00PM - Counterattack operation, "Shut the fuck up, mom" launches in response to "Guilt the Son."

December 24th... around 11:30PM - Unbeknownst to the primary combatants, the Senior Mr. Valdes has been listening to the sounds of verbal gunfire from the bedroom. He launches Operation "Don't talk to your mother that way even if she is a bitch" to the great consternation of all involved.

December 24th... around 11:35PM - My forces will be in orderly retreat, following the, "Fuck this, I'm out of here" pattern well established in previous years.

December 25th... around 2:00AM - My mother, filled with the Joy of the Lard, will call, waking me up, to apologize for Operation Guilt the Son. I, who only want to go back to sleep, will mumble something incoherent. This somehow breaks our tentative treaty and launches Operation "I don't know where we went wrong!" Upon hearing incoming fire, I rely on the old standby of severing enemy communications by hanging up the phone.

December 25... around 1:00PM - We all gather in the DMZ to eat a bird.

December 25... around 2:30PM - My girlfriend's father, blissfully unaware of the tension in this blasted wasteland of a war zone, will become drunk and shift all attention to his slurred racist remarks.

December 25... around 4:00PM - My forces go into full retreat, leaving behind the wounded (my girlfriend) and dying (her father) and usually walk home.

December 25... around 8:00PM - The second apology call from my mother is made.

December 25... around 10:00PM - After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the non-agression treaty is finally signed...

Until next Christmas.

101132[/snapback]

This is my husband and I's first official deconverted Christmas (she suspected last year, but it wasn't an open issue). I am wondering if our Christmases will turn into exactly this...

How did it start? How was it the first few years after you proclaimed your nonbelief?

post-389-1131252125_thumb.jpg

102333[/snapback]

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

100993[/snapback]

Or even Yulewhich predated Saturalias. This is a celebration of the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. In ancient mythos, the sun god is born at the winter solstice. Everything from the tree, to the holly, to the yule log are pagan customs that the christians compromised in order to convert the pagans.

Here are some links if anybody is interested:

http://www.holidays.net/christmas/story.htm

http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/hol...stmas/real.html

http://www.christmas-time.com/cp-hist.html